The D'oh Moment Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
Sheesh, I feel like an idiot! This isn't really a vent (as it had good consequences), so I decided to start this thread for anyone who has one of those minor "Boy what an idiot I am" moments. I just had one a few minutes ago.

Several days ago, a friend gave me the starter for an Amish Friendship Cake. I have been squishing the bag every day, as it says to do, and on the 7th, I added flour, milk, and sugar, as it said. When I woke up today, I looked at the clock (which has the date on it) and said, "Oh no, it's the 10th. I have to make the cake today." I wasn't quite prepared to do that yet, but you are supposed to bake it on the 10th day.

I kept putting it off, but I finally got everything done that needed to be done first, and I just went in to make the cake. I picked up the bag, and noticed right away that it said to bake it on the 12th. Sheesh! I got 10th day and the 10th of October mixed up in my mind.

The good thing is that I actually got quite a bit done today, and at least I missed it by being two days ahead and not two days behind.

So, have you had any of those "D'oh" moments? Let us know!

:doh:Barbara

:blink:This just happened.. I was pulling a bowl out of a cabinet and cardboard container of cocoa , with a plastic lid fell out when I pulled the bowl out and of course the cocoa container fell to the floor, the lid popped off and what a mess , cocoa powder all over . I didn't see the container , otherwise I would have moved it before pulling out the bowl. Of course one of the kittens had to investigate and walk thru it and leave paw prints all over . :ohmy:

My moment happened today to. Every THURSDAY the guys' time sheets are due by noon. So it's about noon and for some inexplicable reason, no one has sent me a time sheet. So I finally start calling. I got two voice mails and left messages. The third guy I called is the one generally in the most need for his pay. He answered and I was like "what the heck is going on? Why haven't any of you sent your time sheets?" To which I hear "Uh, how about because it's only Wednesday and timesheets aren't due until Thursday." DOH!! I'm sure they'll all have a good laugh that I didn't know what day of the week it was.

This is only the start of my 7 straight weeks of work. I can only imagine how loopy I'll be 5 weeks from now.

:blink:This just happened.. I was pulling a bowl out of a cabinet and cardboard container of cocoa , with a plastic lid fell out when I pulled the bowl out and of course the cocoa container fell to the floor, the lid popped off and what a mess , cocoa powder all over . I didn't see the container , otherwise I would have moved it before pulling out the bowl. Of course one of the kittens had to investigate and walk thru it and leave paw prints all over . :ohmy:

This sort of things often happen in this house. The dust pan is kept handy.

Callisto - I've been there, even woken up in a morning thinking that it is a particular day and preparing for only to find it is not the right day.

Barbara, we haven't had the 10th day of October yet. Friday is the tenth, so your clock is wrong, too. Unless I'm reading your post wrong. ;)

Well it didn't happen to me but yesterday I was at work. One of the managers came over with a bottle of wine (have no idea why). Well the bottle slipped out of his hand and onto the glass top of the bread case. Yep you guessed it. Broken glass and wine all over the place. Luckily nobody was hurt.

I brought a couple of patio chairs inside prior to Hurricane Ike's arrival. I set a bag of charcoal on one as it was near the patio door. A couple of days later, in the morning darkness, I dumped a bunch of charcoal in my cat's food bowl, thinking it was her bag of dry cat food. Okay, that's a mistake.

The next day I got up and did the same thing all over again. Now that's dumb!

Barbara, we haven't had the 10th day of October yet. Friday is the tenth, so your clock is wrong, too. Unless I'm reading your post wrong. ;)
LOL I just realized I was looking at the month! I really am an idiot! I always knew what day and date it was when I was working. Thanks for pointing out what a doofus I am (seriously!), and for "giving" me a couple extra days!

Slinking into a big hole and pulling it in with me now!

:ohmy:Barbara

It was early and I was confused.
I'm just glad it was you who were wrong and not me. :ermm:
:LOL::mellow::LOL:

Last week we had a guest for dinner and I wanted to use a certain bread basket. I looked everywhere...the pantry...the hutch..every drawer and cupboard. I couldn't find it anywhere. I had convinced myself that I'd given it to Goodwill last time I made a donation. Yesterday I found it! Sitting right on top of the kitchen counter filled with onions!! I've moved it daily to wipe up after dinner. Silly stupid me.

Last week we had a guest for dinner and I wanted to use a certain bread basket. I looked everywhere...the pantry...the hutch..every drawer and cupboard. I couldn't find it anywhere. I had convinced myself that I'd given it to Goodwill last time I made a donation. Yesterday I found it! Sitting right on top of the kitchen counter filled with onions!! I've moved it daily to wipe up after dinner. Silly stupid me.

:LOL:

I do something similar. I'll get something out and set it someplace noticeable so I won't forget where I put it, then after a few days I notice it disappears into its surroundings :rolleyes:

This one made me laugh because I've done it sooooooooooooooooo many times. I'll move something and then wonder where I put it. I thought it was just me that did that. Too hysterical.

Well... it's funny today but yesterday it just made me say a series of not so nice words.

now this is really dumb or maybe senile. for the first two years i had thomas, my cat we battled over a glass of water i had on night stand. he would knock it off and i would scold. then i had a duh moment, why not put a water bottle there instead.

oh well, stupid is as stupid does. lol:ROFLMAO:

I do somethng similar but mine is really dumb! I will be looking in the refrigerator or cupboard for something. I will pick something up to look behind it, then after I have looked for a few seconds, I realize it is the thing in my hand!

:)Barbara

I do somethng similar but mine is really dumb! I will be looking in the refrigerator or cupboard for something. I will pick something up to look behind it, then after I have looked for a few seconds, I realize it is the thing in my hand!

:)Barbara

I've done that too but never wanted to tell anyone about it! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom