"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

The latest "christmas special". Will be shown as the last episode here In the states instead of a "special"

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
There have been 2 Christmas specials .
oh noooooo!! Now I'm right back where I started GQ!

For the life of me, I can't find the season 2 Christmas Special anywhere.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #33
Master Chef

Kayelle, I watched season 2 Christmas special on hulu plus. It's a subscription service like netflix but the offer a 1 week free trial that I used and watched it that way. If you don't want the service, it's no biggie to go to their site and cancel. They didn't give me any grief when I did that. I believe the 2 Christmas shows are at the end of season 2 and season 3 so we here in the US haven't gotten to the season 3 one yet.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

I simply thought the Christmas episode was just that, an episode. I didn't see anything special about it other than it was longer.

And on that note. One of my customer told me today that it snowed in England while she was there. Said everything pretty much shut down and they were predicting a "blizzard".
Old 01-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #35
Head Chef

Yes most of England has had snow, nowhere shut down as far as I know , some disruption to transport . Blizzards here and there . Been out for some lovely snowy walks .

Re Downton, yes the Christmas specials are just longer episodes with a bit of extra drama chucked in !
Old 01-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, the way Richard kept saying things were going to be different with his servants (over the holidays) was drama alright.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #37
Master Chef

OK someone please help me with Bates in the episode last night. (Jan 20).

Why was his mail held up both ways? Bates planted whatever they found in his cell mates bed, but does anyone know what it was they found?

Old 01-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

I just finished watching that episode.
Craig, Bates' cellmate, has it in for him. Craig also has something going on with one of the guards by the name Durrant. Something on the outside they said.
Craig planted something that looked the same (something in burlap) in Bates' bed a couple episodes ago, but Bate's buddy told him about the setup and Bates' hid it from the guards when they searched the cell. That ticked off Craig and Durrant, so they had bates declared dangerous for punching Craig and that's why his mail was witheld (outgoing and incoming) and that's also why he was not allowed visitors.

Bates turned the tables and planted the piece of burlap into Craig's bed. And Bates' buddy somehow made sure an honest guard performed the search and discovered it. And now Bates is back in good standing and getting his mail and stuff.

As to what it was... beats me. They haven't said. Drugs maybe? It might be one of those things that just happens without explaination because it really doesn't matter to the plot. It was simply something they weren't supposed to have.

Pretty cool on the fire prevention system in the castle, huh? Buckets hanging up with dirt in them. I didn't know they had anything.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #39
Master Chef

Thanks so much Pac! You're so good with the names of everyone!

Yeah, that was amusing with the state of the art fire retardant.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm good with the names because I can read them. Otherwise I wouldn't know doo-doo

I'm still trying to figure out Robert Crawley who is an earl, but also called the Lord of Grantham and resides in Downton Abbey
Is Downton Abbey the castle and Grantham the village, or the other way around? Seems Crawley should be in there somewhere.