"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #111
Executive Chef

I quit last year mid April - mid October. A good 6 months.

Sadly, I barely made it two weeks this time. Despite all the positive things you all said to give me courage, I am smoking again. And I do want to quit.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #112
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Just keep at it. I must have quit a thousand times before it took. You are stronger than a cigarette, you just have to keep telling yourself that!

Old 03-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #113
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post

Sadly, I barely made it two weeks this time. Despite all the positive things you all said to give me courage, I am smoking again. And I do want to quit.
I too quit so many times I could not count. I always failed it seemed even though I was able to stop for 5 years one time.

This time was the charm though. There might be a way for you to quit for good. Take a peek back at the thread and see what worked for me.
Its going to be 5 years again come July.
There is one very remarkable difference this time. I have no desire to smoke.
The last time I quit and started back, I wanted to smoke the entire time.

Will power has nothing to do with quitting. If all that was required to quit was "will power", anyone who wanted to quit would and could at will.
The will to smoke is much stronger than the will to quit. IMHO.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #114
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Statistically, the more times you have tried to quit, the higher your chance of success.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #115
Sous Chef

Quote:

Oh I'm sorry to hear that. It is a very difficult thing to successfully quit. This is probably my 6th or 7th try at it and even using an ecig it has its challenges. You'll do it one day and our support will be there.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #116
Sous Chef

Whiskadoodle - I am struggling with the quit as you are. I have been on the ecig's for a month or so but I find it's still a struggle. A friend of mine at work today recomended a book by Allen Carr. It's how he quit smoking. I'm starting it tonight to supplement the ecig, which really isn't getting rid of the addiction, but it's better than real cigs.

Ellen DeGenereres used this book to quit so maybe it has some merit.
Stop smoking aids and quit smoking methods by Allen Carr, The Easy Way to Stop Smoking

This is the book I bought. Apparently the Canadian version is for metric smokers...
Allen Carrs Easy Way To Stop Smoking: New Canadian Edition Book by Allen Carr | Trade Paperback | chapters.indigo.ca
Old 03-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #117
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
Whiskadoodle - I am struggling with the quit as you are. I have been on the ecig's for a month or so but I find it's still a struggle. A friend of mine at work today recomended a book by Allen Carr. It's how he quit smoking. I'm starting it tonight to supplement the ecig, which really isn't getting rid of the addiction, but it's better than real cigs.

Ellen DeGenereres used this book to quit so maybe it has some merit.
Stop smoking aids and quit smoking methods by Allen Carr, The Easy Way to Stop Smoking

This is the book I bought. Apparently the Canadian version is for metric smokers...
Allen Carrs Easy Way To Stop Smoking: New Canadian Edition Book by Allen Carr | Trade Paperback | chapters.indigo.ca
Someone at a party told me to buy that book. He quit after he read it and was smoke free for something like seven years.

I read the book and found it tedious. It worked for me for a whole two weeks.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #118
Executive Chef

I just checked my local used bookstore's online inventory. They have the Allen Carr book in stock, hard and soft copies. I have heard of Allen Carr's name before. I will check out his book for myself. Thanks for mentioning it, and you too for the encouragement.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #119
Executive Chef

Quote:

Do not worry Whiska ... not everyone can make it the first time. For some it takes many attempts.

Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again ...kind of remiinds me of a song LOL

Hang in there .. you will do it
Old 07-21-2016, 03:40 PM   #120
Chef Extraordinaire

Last night I took my nighttime dose. About an hour later I tried to light a cigarette and I had the worst case of dry heaves I have ever had. (I don't vomit for some reason.) My stomach was so sore until I finally fell asleep.

I woke up this morning and get myself a cup of coffee. I reached for a cigarette as a test and even before I could finish trying to light it, I felt so nauseous. I immediately snuffed it out and so far have had no desire to smoke. I don't want a repeat of last night EVER!

So I think it is safe to say, that I quit on July 20th. I will continue taking the rest of the Chantix for the month. Then I will see about letting Winthrop know I have quit.

I am wondering if anyone else has had an experience of Chantix making them sick to their stomach? Should I finish the month out with the remaining pills? This is my second try with the Chantix. The dry heaves happened the first time also. But I continued to smoke at the same time. I finally had to stop taking them before I was ready.