The Thankfulness Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rr, ask the doctor to take your BP reading again after you've been in your appointment for a while. I would have a high reading when the office nurse took it as soon as I was taken into the examining room. Then the doc took it as soon as he came in - it would be a little lower, but not much. Once we were through with my check-up and questions, he'd take it again. It was amazing at how much a difference that reading would be once I had relaxed since I was almost done with my visit!

That's like my blood pressure. The only time the doctor is on time is when they're checking my blood pressure. I never get a minute to sit down (after rushing to get there) to let it go down any. If I get there early, they're early. It's starting to get to the point where as soon as I see a blood pressure cuff, my blood pressure goes up automatically.

Yeah, I know I should post something I'm grateful for. Give me a minute, I'm thinking...

I have to check in at the desk so they can pull my chart. I sit down if there is someone at the desk already. I will even sit down when no one is at the desk. Eventually someone will see me and call me up to the desk. Gives me time to calm down.

It seems like all my doctors are located in this new building that has a long hall on the outside of the building where all the windows are. Of course they are all located at the farthest point from the elevators. Then when I do get called, my doctor is in the farthest room down that hall. I have a bad leg and I make them wait for me. By the time the doctor gets to see me, my leg looks like a balloon. The doctors have stopped asking me about it. Because I always put the blame on their location and all the walking I have to do to get to their office.

At one time I was being over medicated for my blood pressure. When the day came that they couldn't find it, (I had taken my meds just before leaving the house) is when anyone took a really good look at what I was on. they discovered I didn't need any. I have to admit, we all are a little baffled because I have already had three little (as the doctors call them) heart attacks. I no longer let them push me into doing things like walking without a rest. They all just have to wait on me. If I don't race, neither does my heart.

Last edited:
rr, ask the doctor to take your BP reading again after you've been in your appointment for a while. I would have a high reading when the office nurse took it as soon as I was taken into the examining room. Then the doc took it as soon as he came in - it would be a little lower, but not much. Once we were through with my check-up and questions, he'd take it again. It was amazing at how much a difference that reading would be once I had relaxed since I was almost done with my visit!

Excellent advice. I always have my BP taken several times when I go to Winthrop once a month. Both standing up and sitting down when they are doing my vitals. Then it is checked again my RNP. Again another long hall to walk down. She is smart enough to know how hard that hall is for me. So she checks to see what my first vitals show, then waits to almost to the end and checks it again. Standing and sitting. Big difference from the first readings.

I can understand her wanting to wait. Your A1c is based on a thirty day cycle. I have to be the worst diabetic patient any doctor ever had. The only time I think to check my sugar level, is if I see a commercial on TV or like you just mentioning it. I stopped typing and took a reading for today. My care team is just happy that I do it at all.

When I was first diagnosed, I was in denial BIG TIME. Then I got a real bad UTI and ended up in the hospital for 3 days. From now on I try to keep in better compliance. Try being the operative word. My PCP is also pleased that I care enough to bring something like this to her attention, a lot of other patients, from what I overhear sitting in waiting rooms listening to them talk to each other, wait until their scheduled appointments to bring up any problems they have.

I don't say this nearly enough!
I am so very thankful for the wonderful friends that we
have back home in Hawaii!

We received two care packages since they were here to
visit with us and see our new home.

004.JPG

001.JPG

They're so generous!
And they know us so well, sending us the goodies
from home that we love and miss so much!

We are so blessed to have such good friends,
we can't wait to see them again!

I'm thankful that my Dennis is back home with his family and friends. So many of us were so worried about him. I know Mary is very, very thankful - and relieved.

I'm thankful that last night, for the first time in nearly a week, I got a decent night's sleep. It's amazing how the body just conks out once you stop worrying about something! Fingers crossed I can make it two nights in a row.

I'm ever so thankful and grateful that I have a clever hubby. When I ran the dishwasher on Sunday night, I ended up with a tiny river between two still-wet throw rugs. :ohmy: It's bad enough we just went through the expense of replacing the microwave - at least he did that job himself. If the dishwasher was now failing, we'd have to have a new one professionally installed. As I was cleaning out the screen and filter area, he was reading the owner's manual and whatever he could find online. Then he suggested I run a short cycle with an empty dishwasher and no soap, joking that maybe the problem was that the dishwasher had "indigestion". :idea: When I was having an issue with our clothes washer, the customer service rep told me to run the washer empty, with the hottest water I could, and a generous scoop of Biz to clean the washer out. Well, it worked for the washer, so we tried a Biz-free cycle in the dishwasher. Imagine my surprise when I opened the door when it was done and found a bottom full of bubbles! But, no leak! Yay! Ran a second empty cycle, ended up with way fewer bubbles...and still no leak. I guess the system was a bit clogged with soap scum. *phew* If things hold on, he just saved us at least $400 for a dishwasher, and maybe the cost of installation...unless I could find a super freebie deal.

Thankful, thankful, thankful...

Cooking Goddess:

And I am sure that there will be many thankfuls coming your way when other people with suddenly having the same problem...

but having read your post they now know what to try before calling a repair man or going shopping!

CG, I have one of those. He is called "My son Spike." I have yet to give him a problem with a lot of my house equipment, and he has solved it. I could call Maintenance, but it can take them a day or two to even show up. And that doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

Folks like your husband and my Spike are treasures to behold. They are far and few between.

I'm thankful for my wonderful wife - 25 years today, May 8.... our Silver Anniversary. Even when she's bitchy and I'm grumpy, we have never failed to celebrate our togetherness. Looking forward to many more years of the same. :wub:

This is her on the beach in front of our previous home in the Bahamas 6 years ago.

i-HwVNGBT-L.jpg

The footprints will wash away, but our love remains.

Last edited:
Aww, happy anniversary to you and your beautiful bride, Rick!!

Happy Anniversary to you and your dear wife, Rick. 25 years is quite an accomplishment these days. May you have many more happy years together ahead - with or without grumping. ;)

Nice photo, too. Like an American Greetings card.

What a beautiful photo Rick, and a very happy silver anniversary to you both. :flowers:

CG....that's good to know about the dishwasher! Mine is getting a little up there in years. I'll remember that trick and yes, you are lucky to have such a clever hubs. Can I borrow him sometime? :LOL:

Congratulations Rick. Twenty-five years in today's world is quite an accomplishment. You and your wonderful wife deserve all the happiness the two of you find in your marriage.

Unfortunately, I discovered after two disastrous marriages, that I don't like being married. But I did love having all my children and would do it all over again without the husband. Hmmm.... That wouldn't work out too well. I am from the old school. You need to be married to have children. At least that is how it works in my world. So when I hear of folks who have made their marriage a happy place to be, I envy them. I hope the two of you are folks who can make it to your 50th anniversary.

So what did the two of you do to celebrate such an accomplishment?

Back
Top Bottom