"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

For the most part, there is soccer fever in the USA once every four years. Then it mostly disappears. We have a professional soccer league, but it doesn't draw big crowds.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

USA 2 - Ghana 1

We have a massive soccer complex in our little town. Big draw, mucho dinero. Boys, girls, and adult men's leagues. We went to a match with friends once, I would much rather watch paint dry or old men fish.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I never watch soccer. But it was sure nice to see the USA win, when their very own coach predicted they would not win.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Oops! They are now saying that Ghana has been bribed to lose (unspecified) matches.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
For the most part, there is soccer fever in the USA once every four years. Then it mostly disappears. We have a professional soccer league, but it doesn't draw big crowds.
Clearly, American football (not soccer) is America's game, over taking baseball by leaps and bounds. And rightly so as I consider baseball, watching paint dry.
Soccer is so far down on my list of favorite sports its not even an afterthought. Come September though, my excitement level increases.

I actually would enjoy "watching old men fish"
Old 06-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #16
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I have enjoyed the world cup and am surprised that the USA is still in it. I grew up playing, but don't follow it like I use to.

My game of choice is Rugby. Played for years, I have to subscribe to a different cable package just to see it on TV, but, I like that the 7s format is starting to be shown on NBC, and it will be heading to the Olympics.

Soccer/futbol is certainly the world's game. I can understand how it's boring to watch, but I still prefer it, even almost over American football... I swear, if the NFL consolidate the time actually playing football, it would be like 15min of actual game play.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Soccer/futbol is certainly the world's game. I can understand how it's boring to watch, but I still prefer it, even almost over American football... I swear, if the NFL consolidate the time actually playing football, it would be like 15min of actual game play.
It takes almost 3 hours to actually play 1 hour, so I am not sure what you mean.
I hate commercials too if thats your point.

Okay, here we go USA - Germany up right now on ESPN. Go USA!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #18
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
It takes almost 3 hours to actually play 1 hour, so I am not sure what you mean.
I hate commercials too if thats your point.

Okay, here we go USA - Germany up right now on ESPN. Go USA!!!!!!!!!!!
I mean, of actual game play, not including the clock running, the instant replay, the time it takes for them to get back on line and get in formation, all the things that slow the pace of the actual game. There is no way that they are playing for an hour straight. Where as in Soccer, rugby, hockey, and a slew of other sports, they are almost constantly on the go.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to compare different sports. There's more constant action in soccer than in football. Sure, They're not the same game. The premises of the two games are completely different.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Childrens' soccer leagues are very popular over here (you may have heard the term "soccer mom"). My daughter played for several years. What you may find surprising is that at that age, it's pretty much entirely a girl's sport. Or at least it is where I live. I can't speak for all regions.

The moms seem to enjoy it more for the purpose of socializing with other moms.

I honestly don't know why it's never caught on in the US, or, for that matter, why American football has never caught on much outside the US.
Perhaps becaus the English, Welsh and the French has taken up rugby and perhaps American football developed from that.

IT has been in the UK for quite a long time - initially matches between groups of American service men

There used to be (and may still be an American football team in Stockport (North West England) so there must have been other teams for them to play.

NFL used to feature on television a few years ago late at night but I don't know if it still does.

There seem to be quite a few teams in the UK. I've just found this -

List of American football teams in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia