"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #1311
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I'll try, Timothy. But this as with many other decisions is based on personal preference, based on personal experience. Several years ago I was away from home when my husband had his heart attack; his visiting brother was with him. I arrived home to find Emergency responders loading him into the ambulance. I rode to the hospital up front. The driver asked me if he/I had a DNR (at the time I never heard of it -- thought DNR meant Dept. of Natural Resources and was baffled) but I was only able to reply, no. They had restarted his heart 3 times before I got there. He had several medical conditions at the time, but with a strong constitution was able to "live" for 3 days - at least his body did. Long story short -- I do not want my family to go through that again. I think I'm old enough - creeping up on 71 - to hang it up if I want to. Something's going to get me, and darned if I wouldn't prefer a heart attack over some lingering something or other. I know, easy to say; but there you are. I'm sure not arguing with your reasoning and am happy for your good outcome....but to each his own.
I understand your reasoning on the issue, tinlizzie, but in terms of my own life, I have a completely different way of looking at the situation.

I've had 8 times in my life where medical intervention caused me to remain alive. Each time, if I had a DNR, that would have been the end of my life. Since the first one, I have loved, been loved, traveled, seen wondrous things, met fascinating people, done incredibily interesting things, experienced joy, and invented a few things. None of which would have happened if the Docs had backed away from me the first time I was at a turn of Life/Death.

Not to mention that I was 7 years old the first time and would have had a very short life.

No DNR for me. They can jump start me as many times as they wish. If I turn into a carrot, I won't know it anyway. The others in my family will have to deal with Mr. Carrot by ignoring me and letting the machines run if that's what some Doc thinks is best. If I'm truly a carrot, I won't care anyway. If, on day 136, I suddenly come out of it like I did a coma when I was in my 20's, then perhaps I'll have another decade or two or three to enjoy life again.

I've spoken to my family and after watching my life thus far, they understand my reasoning and also understand that if I do happen to become a piece of cabbage, they have my permission to just stay home and enjoy their lives, instead of coming to look at cabbage-man lay there.

Heck, I might be having a great time in a fantastic dream. Who can say?

Lets you and I agree to disagree on this and just enjoy our lives for now. How's that sound to you?

I figure there must be something I'm supposed to accomplish that hasn't been done yet. I keep bouncing back, regardless of the circumstances of my body.

Perhaps, at 71, (12 years from now), I'll think differently, but I doubt it.

Good luck to you. I hope you make it as a happy person and experience wonderful things until you're 120 or more.
__________________

__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #1312
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,006
The two points of view are exactly the reason that I have not completed a DNR order yet!

If they find me passed out on the floor I want them to wake me up, assess my situation and then kill me if the outlook is not good. My Doctor has very seriously and sternly assured me that it does not work that way.

Very difficult and personal decision!
__________________

__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #1313
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
If they find me passed out on the floor I want them to wake me up, assess my situation and then kill me if the outlook is not good.
Aunt Bea, you crack me up! Yep, it's a huge decision. Literally a life and death decision. The only person that must be happy with the choice is person making that choice.

The DNR is a choice I choose not to make. I might miss something good.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #1314
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
I can't believe the massacre of all those beautiful exotic animals in Zanesville, OH. Bengal tigers are so rare. I knew it had to be done, but what a nut case owner, to let them go like that. Sad.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #1315
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
#1 - Stupid hot spot on my dog will NOT die! I feel so bad for my poor little beastie!

#2 - Someone threw away a bunch of kittens in a dumpster today! Sweet tiny kittens! Sheesh. I almost brought one home. God was looking after me though, and made it work out differently. Ken would have kicked my bum around the block a few times if I'd done that. Rightly so...but they were so sweet and precious and helpless!

#3 - I can't access the iTunes on the downstairs computer on my laptop! BUMMER! I used to be able to, and now I can't! BAH!
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #1316
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post

Lets you and I agree to disagree on this and just enjoy our lives for now. How's that sound to you?
It's a deal.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #1317
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
#1 - Stupid hot spot on my dog will NOT die! I feel so bad for my poor little beastie!

#2 - Someone threw away a bunch of kittens in a dumpster today! Sweet tiny kittens! Sheesh. I almost brought one home. God was looking after me though, and made it work out differently. Ken would have kicked my bum around the block a few times if I'd done that. Rightly so...but they were so sweet and precious and helpless!

#3 - I can't access the iTunes on the downstairs computer on my laptop! BUMMER! I used to be able to, and now I can't! BAH!
What happened to the kittens, Alix? Were they rescued?

Poor puppy! Aloe? Triple antibiotic cream?

Can you delete iTunes, then reinstall?
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #1318
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Kittens were found by a friend who is a garbage collector, they all have homes but were taken away from mommy way too early.

Murray is getting treated with a cocktail that pacanis shared with me. Its just taking an awfully long time for the poor guy to recover. That MIGHT have something to do with going outside and rubbing said hotspot on the dirt etc. I can't put the cone of shame on him because it rubs on the hot spot. So, we're just being vigilant about the nagging.

I think the iTunes issue is user error. I'm just tired and cranky and not in the mood to figure out what my problem is. I'll go play with it later.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #1319
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
Good job, Alix! Very frustrating day. Hopefully the kittens were weaned. Hope you can get some good sleep! I am tired and cranky my own self.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #1320
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I understand your reasoning on the issue, tinlizzie, but in terms of my own life, I have a completely different way of looking at the situation.

I've had 8 times in my life where medical intervention caused me to remain alive. Each time, if I had a DNR, that would have been the end of my life. Since the first one, I have loved, been loved, traveled, seen wondrous things, met fascinating people, done incredibily interesting things, experienced joy, and invented a few things. None of which would have happened if the Docs had backed away from me the first time I was at a turn of Life/Death.

Not to mention that I was 7 years old the first time and would have had a very short life.

No DNR for me. They can jump start me as many times as they wish. If I turn into a carrot, I won't know it anyway. The others in my family will have to deal with Mr. Carrot by ignoring me and letting the machines run if that's what some Doc thinks is best. If I'm truly a carrot, I won't care anyway. If, on day 136, I suddenly come out of it like I did a coma when I was in my 20's, then perhaps I'll have another decade or two or three to enjoy life again.

I've spoken to my family and after watching my life thus far, they understand my reasoning and also understand that if I do happen to become a piece of cabbage, they have my permission to just stay home and enjoy their lives, instead of coming to look at cabbage-man lay there.

Heck, I might be having a great time in a fantastic dream. Who can say?

Lets you and I agree to disagree on this and just enjoy our lives for now. How's that sound to you?

I figure there must be something I'm supposed to accomplish that hasn't been done yet. I keep bouncing back, regardless of the circumstances of my body.

Perhaps, at 71, (12 years from now), I'll think differently, but I doubt it.

Good luck to you. I hope you make it as a happy person and experience wonderful things until you're 120 or
i am 73 years old, i do not wish to spend the last of my days, in a home. if my brain is gone, i want to be gone as well. i have a friend of forty years that has for all practical purposes been a veggie for two years. she will never get better, she is not aware of much of anything. only machines are keeping her alive. as well as i knew her and we discussed many times not wanting to end this way. her daughter , who is ignoring reality , is giving her "hello kitty" stuff for christmas. how is that for destroying whatever dignity she might have left. my only hope is that she is not in that fog somewhere, knowing what is going on. it breaks my heart. i do not wish that ending or anything like it for myself. when i am beyond where i know anything, let me go.
__________________

__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.