"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #2641
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolledeig
I have to say, it's not like the individual has to create their own definition of tailgating tho. That's what the 3 second rule is for.
(When you're moving at least)
True. I always leave more like 5 seconds, because it just feels more relaxed to me.
Maybe that's why I get tailgated all the time lol

Old 07-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #2642
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
LA drivers really are laid back.
This is especially true in and around the community of Monterey Park.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #2643
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I agree!

My dad didn't teach me to drive, but one thing he did teach me is to never let the person behind me (whether driving or stopped at an intersection, etc.) make me do something stupid.

This reminds me of something I read years ago in Reader's Digest. A guy was stopped at a busy intersection. The light turned green, but he didn't go. The guy behind him started laying on the horn. Finally the man in front got out, walked back to the car behind him, and pointed at the old lady slowly crossing the street in front of his car. He held his keys out to the guy and said, "You hit her. I don't have the heart."
Great story from RD.

I learned to drive in driver training in high school and with my dad. Even though my dad was a good driver, he wasn't a very good driving teacher. Well, just about anyone who isn't trained to teach driving doesn't do a great job of it. Driver training wasn't so hot either.

I decided to take driving lessons from an excellent driving school 10 years after I got my drivers license. That was money well spent. I learned the right way to drive stick shift and the right way to get on the highway, among many other things, like defensive driving.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #2644
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I learned from my Uncle, driving a pickup I could barely see out of when I was about 11 or 12 years old. An old stick shift.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #2645
Chef Extraordinaire

lots of people who don't normally drive in big cities (l.a. is a big suburb, not a city) would get eaten alive in traffic in nyc, london, and rome. i've driven in all three and it takes a bit of nerve and a few prayers, here and there.

i heavy highway traffic, there's no room for everyone to sit back several car lengths when the traffic is slow but moving. cities would be gridlocked all day.

like i said before, i hope people that like to drive slower than the rest of traffic find the rightmost lane. the middle lane is for everyone, and the left lane is for passing. simple enough.

again, though, if there's only one lane and no passing, or traffic up ahead, why tailgate? you're only raising the probability of an accident.

what bugs me most are folks who simply drive in the leftmost lane and don't move over for faster cars because they feel so long as they're doing the speed limit or slightly better, they have the right to be there. a coworker has actually said that to me, as he got into his car that has a mangled rear bumper. lol. he regularly drives in the "fast" lane going relatively slowly just to prove his point. sort of passive aggressive driving.

oh, also, i never flash my lights at a slow driver in the fast lane. it makes people either nervous or angry, neither of which is a good thing for someone in front of you.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #2646
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
lots of people who don't normally drive in big cities (l.a. is a big suburb, not a city) would get eaten alive in traffic in nyc, london, and rome. i've driven in all three and it takes a bit of nerve and a few prayers, here and there.

i heavy highway traffic, there's no room for everyone to sit back several car lengths when the traffic is slow but moving. cities would be gridlocked all day.

like i said before, i hope people that like to drive slower than the rest of traffic find the rightmost lane. the middle lane is for everyone, and the left lane is for passing. simple enough.

again, though, if there's only one lane and no passing, or traffic up ahead, why tailgate? you're only raising the probability of an accident.

what bugs me most are folks who simply drive in the leftmost lane and don't move over for faster cars because they feel so long as they're doing the speed limit or slightly better, they have the right to be there. a coworker has actually said that to me, as he got into his car that has a mangled rear bumper. lol. he regularly drives in the "fast" lane going relatively slowly just to prove his point. sort of passive aggressive driving.

oh, also, i never flash my lights at a slow driver in the fast lane. it makes people either nervous or angry, neither of which is a good thing for someone in front of you.
I think most of us are talking about tailgating at higher speeds, not bumper to bumper traffic. That's a whole different situation.

I agree about slower traffic staying right. I don't understand people who drive in the left lane, making it more difficult for people to pass. It just creates a hazardous situation, and doesn't benefit anyone.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #2647
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I learned from my Uncle, driving a pickup I could barely see out of when I was about 11 or 12 years old. An old stick shift.
We had a Ford Falcon. When my husband was out fishing, the car sat in the yard. My daughter Maureen was 11 at the time. I was unaware that she was taking the car and learned to drive. It came in handy later on though. Son #3 was just a couple of months old. He had stopped breathing and while I worked on him, my daughter, taking the back roads, drove us to the hospital. She turned out to be the family car mechanic. She used to come home from a date covered in grease from working on a boyfriend's car. She could repair a car better than any of her brothers.

We lived in a small shrimping village on the Gulf in Texas at the time. They had a law that allowed kids 14 to have what they called a harship license. They were allowed to drive tractors and other farm equipment on roads. As soon as she was old enough, I got her one of those license. A lot of kids whose fathers or other parent was not at home for extended periods were also allowed to have a harship license. That little village is now a major city in South Texas.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #2648
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My uncle's mom learned on a back road in Argyle, MN (East of Grand Forks, ND and South of Winnipeg, CA). She kept balking at learning, so one day her husband slowed the car down, jumped out, and she had to take over.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #2649
Senior Cook

Bleh.. I'm having problems deciding on things.
I've decided I need a protective case for my iPhone, but I just cannot decide which one to get. I sat all last night and tonight browsing through ebay and amazon. I even missed the new Real Housewives of New Jersey AND the new Real Housewives of New York just because I tried to decide on a case.

My brain is fried! Should I get a classy one? Should I get a fun one? Should I get one that advertises something I dig on it? Should I have a rubber one? Should it be blue? Pink? White? Boring?

Luxury problems...
Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #2650
Chef Extraordinaire

So I have a major question for the medical personnel in our DC family.

My granddaughter is entering nursing school in September. she has always been a straight A student. Even in her first two years at college. I have 17 grandkids and due to a very limited income, no presents for any of them unless they do something spectacular. They and their parents all know this. I think that the fact that she has been able to maintain a straight A all through her schooling is indeed worthy of recognition.

So, I want to buy her a medical dictionary. I am looking at the Mosby Medical Distionary, Nursing, and Medical Profesionals. 8e. (Amazon) It was published in December 2008. There is a new edition coming out, but I can't find the release date. The purpose of buying it now is so that she can get familiar with the spelling of medical terms. It seem to be comprehensive in the subjects it covers. Pics, definitions, etc.

Buy the present edition, or wait for the newer one whenever it is released.
HELP!