"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #3801
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Another subject we really don''t want to thrash out on the Discuss Cooking Forums.
Which subject?
__________________

__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:10 AM   #3802
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Which subject?
Your post #3799. Too political. This is a cooking forum.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:38 AM   #3803
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,296
Well it's more than a "cooking forum". Otherwise THIS thread wouldn't be allowed either!

Cave, at the bottom of every page is a blue bar with links. One is titled "Community Rules". It wouldn't hurt if a lot of us reviewed these every once in a while to remind ourselves to be polite. I know I've backed off a few things just by reminding myself to be nice. And the last rule? "Discussions about politics and religion are not permitted." Makes this a kinder and gentler forum.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:50 AM   #3804
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Okay. The only sugar in my diet is the sugar in my coffee. So I am sitting here watching a story about Maple Leaf Cookies made in Toronto. Now I want some! Why aren't these shipped down here? They better be on our store shelves by Monday when I go shopping. Or I will declare all diabetics to gather at the border and raid your stores. We will declare war on Maple Leaf Cookies of Canada! Why should our neighbors to the north have all the good stuff?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:06 AM   #3805
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
I'm very unhappy. I went to court for the vandalism of Joy, and the boys didn't come. Their lawyer said they needed another postponement because they had some "issues" that had some priority.

I'm unhappy and I am mad! The judge seemed annoyed, and he put the next date to March 25, and said that should give them enough time to "square away their issues" and to be "prepared to come to court."

I found out he is our judge on the 25th. The DA and my lawyer said this was good, but I'm still upset and angry. But it's better than nothing, yes?

I know this sounds very bad, but I want them to pay for this! I want my money back and I want them to be punished. I want to face them!

I know some of you here may think I might back away and give up, but no, I will not. Never! I didn't deserve this, I did nothing wrong to warrant such damage to Joy, and I won't stand for any compromises.

I'm sorry if I sound very rude, but those boys and their excuses may go to a very warm place and I intend to make sure they are punished!

I'm sorry for being angry.

With love,
~Cat
__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:25 AM   #3806
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Don't be sorry for being angry. I would be angry too. I would also be angry at their rudeness in not showing up. That wastes everyone else's time.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:11 AM   #3807
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I'm very unhappy. I went to court for the vandalism of Joy, and the boys didn't come. Their lawyer said they needed another postponement because they had some "issues" that had some priority.

I'm unhappy and I am mad! The judge seemed annoyed, and he put the next date to March 25, and said that should give them enough time to "square away their issues" and to be "prepared to come to court."

I found out he is our judge on the 25th. The DA and my lawyer said this was good, but I'm still upset and angry. But it's better than nothing, yes?

I know this sounds very bad, but I want them to pay for this! I want my money back and I want them to be punished. I want to face them!

I know some of you here may think I might back away and give up, but no, I will not. Never! I didn't deserve this, I did nothing wrong to warrant such damage to Joy, and I won't stand for any compromises.

I'm sorry if I sound very rude, but those boys and their excuses may go to a very warm place and I intend to make sure they are punished!

I'm sorry for being angry.

With love,
~Cat
Cat, this is very typical for our court system. Delay after delay. But the judge will see what they are up to. So don't worry. You will have your day in court. The next time it may be that their lawyer has another case in another court and can't be there for you case. Be patient

For really big cases where there are several lawyers involved, it can take two or three years for a case to come to trial. For example, the surviving Marathon Bomber has not been tried yet. In fact, a date for his trial has not even been set. The lawyers are still filing motions. Our legal system moves slowly. Those "other issues" could very well be other appearances they have to make in other courts.

So the next time you have to go to court, it may be that the judge has other commitments or a lawyer does. Just take a deep breath and smile. But if it is the defendants, they better have a good reason why they are not in court that day. Or the judge may put out a bench warrant for them. And that is not a good thing. They will find the sheriff knocking on their door at three in the morning with handcuffs waiting for them.

There is a set of rules for the way a case is tried. And one of them is Discovery. Their lawyer has the right to see the video that shows them slicing the tires. Your lawyer has to turn over all the evidence she has against them. Their lawyer may advise them to plead guilty when he sees the evidence. In doing so your lawyer will not get the chance to question them. The judge will immediately pass sentence. If this is their first offence they may have to make restitution and just get probation. You won't even be asked to testify or even speak one word. Any talking will be between the judge and lawyers only. And in less than ten minutes it will all be over. So don't get angry or be surprised.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:35 AM   #3808
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
But everything has been given to their defense lawyer! The video, the boys with machetes, everything! The DA and my lawyer have said this. They have the same as we do!

We were told this is their last chance, for it was already postponed again from January 2, when Mamma and Papa were here and were to go with me, remember this? I think I said this before then.

This is the third postponement and the judge won't be willing to allow another.

My lawyer has said they would pay me for the damage if I would settle for this.

NO! They are trying to sneak away from responsibility and I will have nothing to do with their tricks.

He says they think I'm a dumb immigrant who has "delusions of grandeur."

I'll show them a dumb immigrant. I'm an American, and I'm mad as h3ll and I won't give up until I receive justice, right and proper.

I am a strong girl, and I will not stop until I win. I will win. I am not taking their poo.

I'm sorry, I'm mad.

I'm sorry for being so bad, but it's how I feel. I think before I think of this any more, it is very late, and I think it's best I go to my bed with my Bible and read some of it.

I think also I have said enough for tonight.

With love,
~Cat
__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:24 AM   #3809
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Okay. The only sugar in my diet is the sugar in my coffee. So I am sitting here watching a story about Maple Leaf Cookies made in Toronto. Now I want some! Why aren't these shipped down here? They better be on our store shelves by Monday when I go shopping. Or I will declare all diabetics to gather at the border and raid your stores. We will declare war on Maple Leaf Cookies of Canada! Why should our neighbors to the north have all the good stuff?
We have these in our local store, too sweet for me!

Dare Foods | Ultimate | Maple Leaf

The ones I miss are the Peek Freans assorted biscuits from Canada, I guess the old truck finally broke down!

__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #3810
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
But everything has been given to their defense lawyer! The video, the boys with machetes, everything! The DA and my lawyer have said this. They have the same as we do!

We were told this is their last chance, for it was already postponed again from January 2, when Mamma and Papa were here and were to go with me, remember this? I think I said this before then.

This is the third postponement and the judge won't be willing to allow another.

My lawyer has said they would pay me for the damage if I would settle for this.

NO! They are trying to sneak away from responsibility and I will have nothing to do with their tricks.

He says they think I'm a dumb immigrant who has "delusions of grandeur."

I'll show them a dumb immigrant. I'm an American, and I'm mad as h3ll and I won't give up until I receive justice, right and proper.

I am a strong girl, and I will not stop until I win. I will win. I am not taking their poo.

I'm sorry, I'm mad.

I'm sorry for being so bad, but it's how I feel. I think before I think of this any more, it is very late, and I think it's best I go to my bed with my Bible and read some of it.

I think also I have said enough for tonight.

With love,
~Cat
Cat, there is no need for you to apologize for being angry and wanting justice. And you will get it. These boys are obviously trying to abuse the system and the judge knows it. So they are risking a lot by making him angry.

I think Addie has been watching a little too much "Law and Order."
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.