"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-16-2014, 02:14 PM   #4141
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Right now I want to hit people and break things.

Two years ago I had my right knee replaced...to the tune of lots of $$$ out of my pocket after the insurance paid its part.

On November 2013 I had the one year follow up visit. Just saw the doc for about 5 minutes. Yep, you had your knee replaced. See ya.

So... A week or so ago I get a bill for that visit, with a collection fee included. Huh? First of all this is the only bill I've received AND it's dated six months after the visit.

There were two other charges with acronyms as their "name," made no sense to me, so I called the 800 number on the bill for an explanation.

Oh, Boy!!

The girl I spoke to sweetly told me that the collection fee wasn't a billing collection fee but one for drawing blood and having it sent to the lab. Well, now, that's interesting because no blood was drawn that day. The other charges had no relevance to the visit either. Told her I wasn't going to pay a bill that had no resemblance whatsoever to what happened. She assured me that she would have it "investigated," have it put on hold so I wouldn't be in any financial jeopardy because of nonpayment and phone me back. I'm not holding my breath.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #4142
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Was anyone home?
I am not sure what the details are yet. I hope to hear soon from our neighbor who seems to know everything that goes on in our block.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #4143
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
I am not sure what the details are yet. I hope to hear soon from our neighbor who seems to know everything that goes on in our block.
Every neighborhood has one. We have a couple of them in this building alone. There is a new family across the street. I am of the opinion they do not speak English. One day UPS came to their door and even the driver was speaking Spanish to her. I was sitting out on the bench at the time. But according to one resident, they don't speak English because they don't want to. "Do you know them? Have you talked to them?" "No, and I refuse to. Not until I hear them speak English". Lucky family. They may never get to know her.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #4144
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Right now I want to hit people and break things.

Two years ago I had my right knee replaced...to the tune of lots of $$$ out of my pocket after the insurance paid its part.

On November 2013 I had the one year follow up visit. Just saw the doc for about 5 minutes. Yep, you had your knee replaced. See ya.

So... A week or so ago I get a bill for that visit, with a collection fee included. Huh? First of all this is the only bill I've received AND it's dated six months after the visit.

There were two other charges with acronyms as their "name," made no sense to me, so I called the 800 number on the bill for an explanation.

Oh, Boy!!

The girl I spoke to sweetly told me that the collection fee wasn't a billing collection fee but one for drawing blood and having it sent to the lab. Well, now, that's interesting because no blood was drawn that day. The other charges had no relevance to the visit either. Told her I wasn't going to pay a bill that had no resemblance whatsoever to what happened. She assured me that she would have it "investigated," have it put on hold so I wouldn't be in any financial jeopardy because of nonpayment and phone me back. I'm not holding my breath.
Katie,
Note dates and times,who you talked to.What the discrepancy was about.
We went through something similar.I had an appointment to pick up medical supplies.When I got there what I needed was out of stock.They didn't know when they would have it back in stock.That was just great I had a week to get that info into my Dr before surgery.They charged my insurance company for that useless visit and for also the medical supplies.Lab techs services that never even happened.I knew nothing about that.

Insult to injury a few months after the fact I received a nasty phone call from them informing me that I had been sent to collections.I never received a bill.For what!? I demanded to speak to a supervisor.Told her that if I didn't have the matter corrected in a week that I'd Lawyer up.

Get everything in writing.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #4145
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
She assured me that she would have it "investigated," have it put on hold so I wouldn't be in any financial jeopardy because of nonpayment and phone me back. I'm not holding my breath.

Take a hint from an old hand at these types of things: Any future communications with anyone regarding that bill GET IT SENT VIA EMAIL OR USPS! Then you have a hard copy of what went on and who said what and when.

Otherwise it's something that gets lost in translation/transition. Most places will say that they don't have the 'capability' to send you an email. Snort!

Then, of course you ask for someone in charge. You then may be told that they're 'in a meeting' or 'away from their desk '.

You may never reach the person in charge.

I've also resorted to googling for the CEO or some high-up person in the company jerking me around. Then an email is sent to them. Or a letter.

If the billing office is near enough to you to physically go there---- do that. I've had to do that several times and things got settled right away because I would stand at the front desk and explain my problem. They don't like that.

If all that is too much for you to then at least get the name of the people you talk to, start your own documentation as who/when and what.

After all my words---- it may just happen that everything will be 'investigated' and found you correct. I hope so because it's hard on the blood pressure to deal with this type of thing.

Edited to add--- I see Chef Munky wrote something along the same lines while I was writing. I never had to 'lawyer up' but I'm pretty assertive/aggressive (pick one) when it comes these types of things. And I don't charge me anything. LOL
Old 06-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #4146
Certified Cake Maniac

Well the teachers are officially on strike and the school year is officially out for the year. The talks went through the weekend but the two sides and the facilitator were all on different pages.

Parents have had to make hasty daycare arrangements, high school students are still unsure of their provincial exams and placements for special needs students in September are in jeopardy because they are set up now.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:31 AM   #4147
Sous Chef

We're really sad tonight. Our neighbors suffered a serious house fire. There are 8 of them, and we don't know what to do to help.

The news story spoke of just one kitten, but my sweet hubby caught all three and they are in a huge dog cage in our guestroom for now. They are just adorable!

We saw the adult cats in their yard, so I took them food and water. It looks like all the cats are safe, too.

I'm so sorry to say they lost their parakeet in the fire. Hubby hopes to see them tomorrow to let them know we're taking care of the cats and kittens. He will ask them how we can help them. There are 8 of them and we don't have room for all of them but we might just have to be crowded here and handle it.

We may just have to give up our bed and buy a lot of air mattresses. I just don't know yet. Somehow, someway, we MUST help them.

We'll figure it out. Here are the news items:

Henderson County House Fire - WLOS News13 - Top Stories

And here, too:

Morning fire destroys Hendersonville home | BlueRidgeNow.com

It shows the address as 202 Fairfield Drive, we are 210 Fairfield Drive.

I cried when I saw their poor little house so badly damaged. Cat told me many of you have kept her in your thoughts, and I appreciate this; sometimes she really did need our thoughts.

Would it be too much to ask to keep the Hernandez family in your thoughts? This is really awful; from looking at this, it's such an awful tragedy.

We're going to try to do everything we can to help them. I don't know what will happen, but we will take it one step at a time.

I am still in tears. They are such a sweet family, and this is just awful.

Thank you for listening. This is devastating to us.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:40 AM   #4148
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What a terrible tragedy. Bless you for taking care of the pets, and for being such good friends and neighbors.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:52 AM   #4149
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
What a terrible tragedy. Bless you for taking care of the pets, and for being such good friends and neighbors.
Thank you! We don't know them very well, but we don't care about that. They've lost their home and we feel very badly..and now we need to figure out how we can help them.

We'll figure it out. Thanks for letting me be so angry and hurt here.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #4150
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

How horrible, CCL, I'm glad they have a neighbor like you to help them out.