"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #751
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

It used to be we sewed clothes to save money. I can't believe the prices for patterns.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #752
Chef Extraordinaire

it really is crazy, most are over 10.00 dollars. can't buy many at that price. i try to buy ones that have both sizes i need. however once i cut the smallest one out, then will always be for lilly. still that saves me some money. not saving money but they love em and it keeps me out of the bars. lol

Old 06-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #753
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
it really is crazy, most are over 10.00 dollars. can't buy many at that price. i try to buy ones that have both sizes i need. however once i cut the smallest one out, then will always be for lilly. still that saves me some money. not saving money but they love em and it keeps me out of the bars. lol
Cut the large pattern out of brown craft paper or newspaper, first...then you have the large pattern. Then cut out the little one.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #754
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Cut the large pattern out of brown craft paper or newspaper, first...then you have the large pattern. Then cut out the little one.
You're a genius, Princess!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:38 PM   #755
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
You're a genius, Princess!
Not really, there were three of us girls and one pattern. It was Dad's idea. They were lucky to get two sizes out of a pattern and Dad would then use his drafting tools to make the smallest pattern for my little sister.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #756
Executive Chef

Well, looks like I may be out of a job,soon. The restaurant I work at could possibly be closing. Terrible battle going on between the owners. Court litigation and everything. Buisness and family don't mix sometimes. If the current owner leaves, I don't want to stay on, so I may request a lay off. Not that big of problem, though. I have been trying to get out of kitchens for a few years, but they keep dragging me back in. If I do get laid off, I will qualify for retraining. I may look into that. My drumming jobs won't pay the bills over the long term. Looking forward to having the summer off, though. Can always go back to cooking if nothing better comes along..
Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #757
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Stubbs
That is a great attitude to have. God will provide.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #758
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Well, looks like I may be out of a job,soon. The restaurant I work at could possibly be closing. Terrible battle going on between the owners. Court litigation and everything. Buisness and family don't mix sometimes. If the current owner leaves, I don't want to stay on, so I may request a lay off. Not that big of problem, though. I have been trying to get out of kitchens for a few years, but they keep dragging me back in. If I do get laid off, I will qualify for retraining. I may look into that. My drumming jobs won't pay the bills over the long term. Looking forward to having the summer off, though. Can always go back to cooking if nothing better comes along..
My D-I-L is working under nearly the same conditions at her place. She does billing, insurance, etc. -- Owners of the small business used to be a couple; not any more. Very fractious atmosphere and not sure if the business will survive. She's just going in every day and hoping for the best. That's really tough on employees even in the best of times, let alone these days.

Best of luck, Rocklobster.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #759
Executive Chef

Thanks, Stubbs.

I am the only employee who knows anything of the current situation. Everything is up in the air right now. It is a bit stressful, not knowing what exactly I will be doing a few weeks from now. I can't really make any plans because I don't really know exactly how things are going to shake down. Part of me will welcome a lay off, but then again, who wants to be unemployed? I don't want to cook or manage a kitchen anymore if I can help it. Thankfully, I have enough experience to get a job fairly quickly if I really have to. I have plenty of renovation projects around the house to keep me busy, but that takes money, so its catch 22.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #760
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Stubbs
Yes my husband has been unemployed for 2 yrs. He gets interview but not hired. So he went to school to get CDL hope he gets something soon. But I have faith in God that he will provide for my family. Bad part is I need t be home with my ADHD child right now. Then again don't want to pay for daycare either.