"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #941
Head Chef

A lady across town is getting hassled by the powers that be because she has chickens in her back yard, and it turns out that there is an ordinance against it. She doesn't have a rooster, just laying hens, for the eggs. This isn't in the city - it's a residential neighborhood. The County has backed off and has taken the situation under consideration, so she still has her hens, but geez!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #942
Chef Extraordinaire

still waiting for the plumber , sink still stopped up. sick of the heat.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #943
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I get so frustrated with our system sometimes. I bought an old truck off of a friend last week. Had some work done on it, got the safety check, and now it is in pretty good shape. Today I went into town to get the ownership changed over and the plates changed. Well, due to the fact that it is over 20 years old, I have to go and pay$35 for a separate appraisal so they can tax me on the value. Then, the old plates I had on a vehicle can't be transferred because they are not truck plates, so I need to cancel them, then wait for a refund in the mail for the remaining cost I paid for the sticker. Then I need to buy new stickers for the old truck. She offered me a temporary permit for 15 dollars. I said no thanks. The truck is still under my friends name and insurance so thankfully I can drive it anothe 35 miles to get an apprasal at a certified apraiser. You know, the one that is going to cost me 35 dollars so they can calculate how much tax I have to pay on a 20 year old vehicle.

Man! I hate the bs sometimes! OK, I hate the BS all of the time.
It is the same on this side. The only kind thing I can say is that it creates jobs.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #944
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
It is the same on this side. The only kind thing I can say is that it creates jobs.
Well, in a way, I have to agree with you. But will do so reluctantly.
I just got back from my trip to get it apraised and the guy looked at me and said "really"?. They want an apraisal on a 20 year old truck? He appraised it for exactly what the reciept said. What makes me mad is that it is at my expense. Basically, they think your guilty until you prove your innocence. And, you have to hand over payola to get them to do the job. Organized crime, if you ask me.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #945
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Well, in a way, I have to agree with you. But will do so reluctantly.
I just got back from my trip to get it apraised and the guy looked at me and said "really"?. They want an apraisal on a 20 year old truck? He appraised it for exactly what the reciept said. What makes me mad is that it is at my expense. Basically, they think your guilty until you prove your innocence. And, you have to hand over payola to get them to do the job. Organized crime, if you ask me.

Grease is the word
Old 07-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #946
Head Chef

I am totally ticked. My desktop won't let me send e-mail because I keep getting a message that says I have to put in my user name and password. But it won't accept it. So in trying to fix it now I can't send e-mail. Thankfully I can still do it using the laptop but I can't scan anything into it.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #947
Chef Extraordinaire

Rock--my parents have offered me my mom's car (she can't drive anymore, it is in good condition, has less than 100,000 miles on it). The problem is the car is in MN and I'm getting the run-around from customs and DMV on what I have to do to be able to drive it back in to Canada when I return. My mom's insurance would still be on it, but it is the plate transfer issue....my parents want to give it to me, in the States, it would be a "gift" for $1. But because they are in the States, that rule seems to not apply here in Canada. If I have time tomorrow, I'll make yet another call to find out how to do this. I'd like the car (and I'd like that it was not available should my mom find the keys and decide she can drive...she can't. She got lost the last time she drove. Fortunately she didn't hurt anyone and she did find her way back home after 5 hours of wandering). Why is the gift of a car different from a set of dishes? You tell me.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #948
Everymom

Mosquitos!!! AAAAAAA!!! I can't go out to my garden, to the BBQ or ANYWHERE without being eaten alive. One more week they keep telling me..."normal level" for the first time in 5 years...blah blah blah. I've not been so snacked upon since Cuba. GRRR!
Old 07-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #949
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
A lady across town is getting hassled by the powers that be because she has chickens in her back yard, and it turns out that there is an ordinance against it. She doesn't have a rooster, just laying hens, for the eggs. This isn't in the city - it's a residential neighborhood. The County has backed off and has taken the situation under consideration, so she still has her hens, but geez!
TL, we have several places here in Surrey where you will find a piece of land on a main road that has cows, horses, whatever on it. No one complains, in fact it is quite a conversation starter. "Did you know there are cows grazing just down the street?". Of course!

There was a guy who didn't want to sell his land but it was in the heart of one of our fastest growing communities (actually where DH grew up). It was wanted for prime commercial property but was not used for anything. He was really stubborn and holding out as long as he could. If the land was unused, they could force him to sell, so he bought a bunch of horses and let them graze. Nothing anyone could do. Finally he was offered $10 million and sold. The horses were sold for $500 each.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #950
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Mosquitos!!! AAAAAAA!!! I can't go out to my garden, to the BBQ or ANYWHERE without being eaten alive. One more week they keep telling me..."normal level" for the first time in 5 years...blah blah blah. I've not been so snacked upon since Cuba. GRRR!
They won't even touch me...I haven't had a mosquito bite since I was a teen.