Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
grrr. sewing bodice to skirt and it wouldn't fit. expert seamstress (lol) that i am i made it fit. seems i had the skirt piece going the wrong way. ripped it out and will do today. not sure why i did that, and making it fit was crazy!!! there is a reason they call it seam" stress."

grrr. sewing bodice to skirt and it wouldn't fit. expert seamstress (lol) that i am i made it fit. seems i had the skirt piece going the wrong way. ripped it out and will do today. not sure why i did that, and making it fit was crazy!!! there is a reason they call it seam" stress."

:LOL: Good one, babetoo.

:ROFLMAO:I'd never heard of that before, but I sure know what it's like!

babetoo said:

Oh Babe! I feel you! I hate having to rip out stitches. When I was making my granddaughters sun-dress While sewing on the appliqué I happened to catch some of the skirt fabric and had to rip it all out. irritating :-(

Oh Babe! I feel you! I hate having to rip out stitches. When I was making my granddaughters sun-dress While sewing on the appliqué I happened to catch some of the skirt fabric and had to rip it all out. irritating :-(

The first applique' I ever did was on a bib for my baby brother. I managed to sew the applique' to the bib and the nightgown I was wearing...:LOL:

PrincessFiona60 said:
The first applique' I ever did was on a bib for my baby brother. I managed to sew the applique' to the bib and the nightgown I was wearing...:LOL:

Rofl!!! Fi......that's hilarious! Ehrmm....sorry:-(. Teehee

Rofl!!! Fi......that's hilarious! Ehrmm....sorry:-(. Teehee

Well, it's funny NOW!!! Baby brother will be 41 this week, I've had time to get over it!:LOL:

And he did get his bib, complete with bunny applique', I think Mom has it stashed in a box somewhere.

The first time I tried to sew (on a treadle sewing machine my mother had--I was 4), I managed to put the needle through my index finger...I've gotten a bit better at sewing since then, but not much! At least I don't sew my finger to the item I'm sewing these days.

The first time I tried to sew (on a treadle sewing machine my mother had--I was 4), I managed to put the needle through my index finger...I've gotten a bit better at sewing since then, but not much! At least I don't sew my finger to the item I'm sewing these days.

OW!

Especially since I was told not to touch the sewing machine while my mother went to answer the phone--gives you an idea of what kind of child I was! It happened so fast, it didn't hurt--I was "sewing" my apron <g>. But I was stuck there until my mom came back--I didn't dare treadle it back up. Good thing she was a nurse.

Especially since I was told not to touch the sewing machine while my mother went to answer the phone--gives you an idea of what kind of child I was! It happened so fast, it didn't hurt--I was "sewing" my apron <g>. But I was stuck there until my mom came back--I didn't dare treadle it back up. Good thing she was a nurse.

Okay, I'm a nurse, but finding a 4 year old "sewn" to her apron would have me on the floor in a swoon. I don't deal well with injuries and illness in children...:wacko:

Im trying so hard to keep kids busy with playing outside, taking walks, only hr TV, coloring, art projects, & educational worksheets to help them with head start to nxt school yr. But you still have to cook clean and wash clothes. It nerve wracking when u vacuuming the floor and u have kids screaming cause one did this or that. Oh I want to scream. On top of that ADHD child.

Oh, but PF, I was "one of those children" (the ones they call gifted now). That was one of the "least" of the things I did. My parents had wanted five children, but after me, they quit at 3.

sewing issues affect men just the same.

dw can't sew due to severe carpal tunnel in both wrists, so it's up to me to do any sewing type repairs on everything from zippers, to rips in favored sweaters, handbags, and so on.

but when my son joined the scouts, i took on the task of sewing all of those damn patches on his uniform.

twice i sewed pockets shut, and once i sewed the patch right through the shirt and onto my pants leg. i had to carefully pull the stitches out and redo everything. this time much like the way porcupines make love. lol.

i got better the more patches i sewed, however. the first one ended up looking like bacon, with the edges of the patch all curly. but the last ones would make a caveman proud.

I understand, BT. As a bachelor for several years, I had to learn to sew a number of things. I did pretty well, all told. Buttons are a snap. They come with a template. Fallen pants cuffs or hems can be stapled in place until you get to a needle and thread.

What ever happened to Jiffy Sew?

When I was in MN, I "helped" my mom pack for our Easter trip...well, one of the pairs of slacks she wanted to take had a loose button. She said if I threaded the needle, she'd sew on the button. Because of her dementia, I do try to let her do as much as she can. She sewed the button on, but managed to also sew it to the top of her panties (she was trying on the slacks to make sure they still fit). Needless to say, I ended up sewing the button on (after cutting the thread and getting her to take off the slacks).

Actually, we laughed. My mother has enough of her mind left to know when she's done something "silly' and we laughed as I cut the thread (I had started the button for her, but she didn't go back in first, she went over and under, so it was real mess). I'm learning to find humor in some of the things that she does...not all, but some. But yes, having a loved one disintegrate mentally is very, very hard. The person becomes a stranger. So when you can grab a window of the person the person once was, you need to rejoice in that moment. This is one of those life's lessons I didn't know I'd learn.

And now, I might as well post about my Rosalie. I made the appointment, I slept curled up on the floor with her, I sat with her outside on a blanket and told her all the things I loved about her, all the memories I could muster up, took her to the vet. Waited while they re-shot the x-rays...inconclusive. The vet couldn't tell me it was definitely a tumor/mass. So, after a discussion with the vet, we brought her HOME AGAIN (did bloodwork, etc.). We are on bonus time now. We were on bonus time after she turned 10. She turned 11 today. Her birthday supper is pasta, ground beef, veggies. If today ends up being her last day, you always want "just one more day." I got that one more day (and hopefully more).

Back
Top Bottom