Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chief, Carol didn't slip up. There's a reason this thread is called "Venting". We don't judge, we sympathize, empathize, maybe offer advice, or just listen. There's no right or wrong!

Carol, hopefully your DH can get his problem figured out!

I only shared this with you because actually, I thought it was funny! He was mad that I shared it because he doesn't want anyone to think he's a bad person, but he's over it. We get over things very easily. I don't think this will ever go so far as to actually hurt me. If it did, he would feel very bad about it.

Carol, be sure that DH knows that we don't think he is a "bad person" how could we, we don't even know him. ;)
From what you told us, he isn't awake or aware of what he is doing, so how could we think ill if him? I hope he understands that you just thought if was "funny" and those that responded were only trying to help you figure out why it was happening. :). You know we have had this happen a couple of times too! We have each smacked the other while sleeping, usually just flailing in our sleep. Hmmmm.........at least I think so! lol!

Shrek often kicks me and I have been known to punch him in the back. We are not responsible for what happens in our sleep. I've also punched the bed cane, that usually wakes me up, hitting that hurts!

Oh, he was mad for about 10 seconds. In fact, he might not have even been mad, but just wanted to make me feel guilty. I'm sure he's forgotten all about it by now. LOL

I only shared this with you because actually, I thought it was funny! He was mad that I shared it because he doesn't want anyone to think he's a bad person, but he's over it. We get over things very easily. I don't think this will ever go so far as to actually hurt me. If it did, he would feel very bad about it.
Carol, if he's on BP meds they could be causing the problem so a word with his doctor might be useful.

I found the following info:

Beta blockers for High blood pressure, heart rhythm problems, angina
Drugs:- (Inderal), atenolol (Tenormin), metoprolol (Lopressor), propranolol
can cause Insomnia, nighttime awakenings, nightmares

Clonidine(Catapres) for High blood pressure. Can cause Daytime drowsiness and fatigue, disrupted REM sleep; less commonly, restlessness, early morning awakening, nightmares

Every since the fiasco last year with the mix up with the gabapentin and the drug for Alzheimer's I have been checking my pills. I noticed that this last bunch had a change in it. It seems the patent ran out on the Norvasc so by State law, the pharmacy changed me over to the generic. They are supposed to notify me whenever there is a change regardless for the reason. Either by a sticker on the med container or a phone call. Needless to say I freaked out when I saw an unfamiliar pill in the container. I called the pharmacy in tears. I was hysterical. It took a while for them to answer my question. They now know, just in case they forgot, to notify me when there is a change. :angel:

Every since the fiasco last year with the mix up with the gabapentin and the drug for Alzheimer's I have been checking my pills. I noticed that this last bunch had a change in it. It seems the patent ran out on the Norvasc so by State law, the pharmacy changed me over to the generic. They are supposed to notify me whenever there is a change regardless for the reason. Either by a sticker on the med container or a phone call. Needless to say I freaked out when I saw an unfamiliar pill in the container. I called the pharmacy in tears. I was hysterical. It took a while for them to answer my question. They now know, just in case they forgot, to notify me when there is a change. :angel:

They SHOULD have notified you, of course. My pharmacy puts a little sticker on the pill bottle and it's up to me to read it (oh, those little tiny letters!). But they may forget sometimes I guess and I just haven't noticed the sticker (not the change in the pill!)

Do you know about this?

Pill Identification Wizard from Drugs.com

State law in MA that you HAVE to switch to generic when a drug is out of patent??? Or is it your insurance plan?

Even if the brand name is still offered? (That can happen many times)

It may be Medicare/Medicaid that requires that switch to generic. But I wonder if (assuming the brand name is still be made) your doctor can't still write "brand name only" on the rx and that might over-ride Medicare/Medicaid? My doctor in California does but I have a secondary PPO that can step in them---- a secondary that isn't one of the Medicare/Medicaid supplementary insurances.

Since there are many things I don't know about your plan etc I may be off-track.

But please don't believe the FDA when they say that generics are exactly the same as brand name. Not true.

It looks like the teachers are going out on a full strike Tuesday and since they are taking Monday as a non-picketing/non-working day to go over all the negotiations from the weekend, tomorrow will probably be the last day of school before summer. Unless by some miracle, an agreement is reached on the weekend.

The government is working on a way to open schools for provincial exams (specially for grade 12 students) to take place and to be marked. I would really hate for any student to miss out on fall placements because of this stupid standoff.

The vote was 87% in favour of a strike - and yet, all my teacher friends voted no. Seems like maybe they were the only ones :wacko:

They SHOULD have notified you, of course. My pharmacy puts a little sticker on the pill bottle and it's up to me to read it (oh, those little tiny letters!). But they may forget sometimes I guess and I just haven't noticed the sticker (not the change in the pill!)

Do you know about this?

Pill Identification Wizard from Drugs.com

State law in MA that you HAVE to switch to generic when a drug is out of patent??? Or is it your insurance plan?

Even if the brand name is still offered? (That can happen many times)

It may be Medicare/Medicaid that requires that switch to generic. But I wonder if (assuming the brand name is still be made) your doctor can't still write "brand name only" on the rx and that might over-ride Medicare/Medicaid? My doctor in California does but I have a secondary PPO that can step in them---- a secondary that isn't one of the Medicare/Medicaid supplementary insurances.

Since there are many things I don't know about your plan etc I may be off-track.

But please don't believe the FDA when they say that generics are exactly the same as brand name. Not true.

It is a state law. When I was one BC/BS Master Plan and not on Medicaid or Medicare, is when the pharmacist told me about it. :angel:

My vent goes like this:

For Father's day, I had done what I always do when selecting steaks. I went to our best meat market and purchased the best steaks I could find over several pay periods. I didn't purchase the steaks until I found those that met my standards.

I prepped them simply with salt and pepper before placing them onto the Webber over a solid bed of charcoal, with the meat about 3 inches from the hot coals. Cover and grill for 3 .5 minutes per side. They were both grilled perfectly to our liking. DW had Porterhouse, while I ate rib-eye. I was disappointed with my steak for two reasons. First, when I took it out of the package, one side looked like a perfect steak. The other side had a fat cap that rolled around it, showing me that it was an end cut. That being the case, it had more connecting tissue in it, and more fat chunks, rather than great marbling. The more important issue was that the meat had very little "beef" flavor. DW's porterhouse was more flavorful by far.

Occasionally, I forget that rib eye and ribs steaks are two different cuts, with the latter having better flavor. I am no going to have to invest in a good, bone-in rib steak (they are much harder to find than are rib eyes in my neck of the woods) and see if the meat flavor is more pronounced. If not, I may switch to T-bone, Porterhouse, or Sirloin for the better flavor. I don't need the most tender meat on the planet. I have good teeth and strong jaw muscles (must be from all that talking.:LOL:) I crave strong beef flavor, slightly tangy, slightly salty, with the flavor of iron included in the mix. I'm tired of bland meat. And I hear that it's the way of the future, with producers trying to get more bland meat.

It seems that consumers want mediocre food. We don't want to pay for good food, just good enough so that it isn't disgusting. By producing bland food, product can be sold to more people as fewer people object to bland foods than to strong flavored foods. With stronger flavors, people seem to either love them, or hate them.

I feel like I'm in a heard that I don't want to be in, just following the feed wagon because that's all there is. I want to jump the fence and get to the good stuff.

Eggs have lost the rich yolks, beef, pork, and poultry are poor cousins of what they once were. Fruit is sold unripe, and flavorless, or so tart that you can barely eat it. Virtually every food is sold to maximize volume, and quality suffers greatly. I made the mistake of being born in the mid fifties, and grew up with great tasting food that was much fresher, picked when it was fully ripened, was raised to be better tasting, etc. When you have tasted great, it's harder to accept mediocre.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I hear ya Chief!

You have to live in Texas, Florida or California to get today's fresh picked ripe fruits and veggies. The rest of us have to wait for it to travel cross country. But the warmer weather is here and farmers markets are springing up. That is if you live in an area that has one. Or you can plant your own garden. We have plots that maintenance has graciously tilled for us. Who planted? Certainly no one who lives in the building. They would rather have tasteless stuff from the supermarket. Yet every plot is full of plants of veggies. Being grown by the low paid maintenance workers of the company. After work you see them there lovingly weeding their little plots. Tying up the vines to the poles. Every morning , really early before their work day starts, you see one of them out there watering every plot. At night they have their kids with them helping with the weeding and pole tyeing. The kids are getting a lesson in where their food comes from.

Those that plant tomatoes, always have a plethora of product. One worker takes them and sells what his wife doesn't turn into a canned salsa at the end of the season.

The best part is you hear the family laughing as they work. Definitely a labor of love. Oh how I envy them. :angel:

In this morning's paper it said that a house right up the street from us had $500 dollars damage on their door. Someone tried to break in around 2:30 AM yeaterday. So scary.

Right now I want to hit people and break things.

Two years ago I had my right knee replaced...to the tune of lots of $$$ out of my pocket after the insurance paid its part.

On November 2013 I had the one year follow up visit. Just saw the doc for about 5 minutes. Yep, you had your knee replaced. See ya.

So... A week or so ago I get a bill for that visit, with a collection fee included. Huh? First of all this is the only bill I've received AND it's dated six months after the visit.

There were two other charges with acronyms as their "name," made no sense to me, so I called the 800 number on the bill for an explanation.

Oh, Boy!!

The girl I spoke to sweetly told me that the collection fee wasn't a billing collection fee but one for drawing blood and having it sent to the lab. Well, now, that's interesting because no blood was drawn that day. The other charges had no relevance to the visit either. Told her I wasn't going to pay a bill that had no resemblance whatsoever to what happened. She assured me that she would have it "investigated," have it put on hold so I wouldn't be in any financial jeopardy because of nonpayment and phone me back. I'm not holding my breath.

I still have this stinking cold! And no, I don't feel any better. Looks like I will miss my PT on Thursday again.

And now The Pirate has it. He told me that was the thanks he gets for taking care of me when I was at my worst.

Right now I am waiting for my Roomba to arrive. I know it reached the Boston distribution center, but that is all I can find out. When I tried to register to receive update emails, it has this address as a commercial building and cannot register me. Evidently I am living in a warehouse or factory. Oh joy! Today it feels like I am living in Hell! :angel:

I am not sure what the details are yet. I hope to hear soon from our neighbor who seems to know everything that goes on in our block. :shifty:

:LOL: Every neighborhood has one. We have a couple of them in this building alone. There is a new family across the street. I am of the opinion they do not speak English. One day UPS came to their door and even the driver was speaking Spanish to her. I was sitting out on the bench at the time. But according to one resident, they don't speak English because they don't want to. "Do you know them? Have you talked to them?" "No, and I refuse to. Not until I hear them speak English". Lucky family. They may never get to know her. :angel:

Right now I want to hit people and break things.

Two years ago I had my right knee replaced...to the tune of lots of $$$ out of my pocket after the insurance paid its part.

On November 2013 I had the one year follow up visit. Just saw the doc for about 5 minutes. Yep, you had your knee replaced. See ya.

So... A week or so ago I get a bill for that visit, with a collection fee included. Huh? First of all this is the only bill I've received AND it's dated six months after the visit.

There were two other charges with acronyms as their "name," made no sense to me, so I called the 800 number on the bill for an explanation.

Oh, Boy!!

The girl I spoke to sweetly told me that the collection fee wasn't a billing collection fee but one for drawing blood and having it sent to the lab. Well, now, that's interesting because no blood was drawn that day. The other charges had no relevance to the visit either. Told her I wasn't going to pay a bill that had no resemblance whatsoever to what happened. She assured me that she would have it "investigated," have it put on hold so I wouldn't be in any financial jeopardy because of nonpayment and phone me back. I'm not holding my breath.

Katie,
Note dates and times,who you talked to.What the discrepancy was about.
We went through something similar.I had an appointment to pick up medical supplies.When I got there what I needed was out of stock.They didn't know when they would have it back in stock.That was just great I had a week to get that info into my Dr before surgery.They charged my insurance company for that useless visit and for also the medical supplies.Lab techs services that never even happened.I knew nothing about that.

Insult to injury a few months after the fact I received a nasty phone call from them informing me that I had been sent to collections.I never received a bill.For what!? I demanded to speak to a supervisor.Told her that if I didn't have the matter corrected in a week that I'd Lawyer up.

Get everything in writing.

She assured me that she would have it "investigated," have it put on hold so I wouldn't be in any financial jeopardy because of nonpayment and phone me back. I'm not holding my breath.

Take a hint from an old hand at these types of things: Any future communications with anyone regarding that bill GET IT SENT VIA EMAIL OR USPS! Then you have a hard copy of what went on and who said what and when.

Otherwise it's something that gets lost in translation/transition. Most places will say that they don't have the 'capability' to send you an email. Snort!

Then, of course you ask for someone in charge. You then may be told that they're 'in a meeting' or 'away from their desk '.

You may never reach the person in charge.

I've also resorted to googling for the CEO or some high-up person in the company jerking me around. Then an email is sent to them. Or a letter.

If the billing office is near enough to you to physically go there---- do that. I've had to do that several times and things got settled right away because I would stand at the front desk and explain my problem. They don't like that.

If all that is too much for you to then at least get the name of the people you talk to, start your own documentation as who/when and what.

After all my words---- it may just happen that everything will be 'investigated' and found you correct. :) I hope so because it's hard on the blood pressure to deal with this type of thing.

Edited to add--- I see Chef Munky wrote something along the same lines while I was writing. I never had to 'lawyer up' but I'm pretty assertive/aggressive (pick one) when it comes these types of things. And I don't charge me anything. LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom