"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #761
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Would you be on the Carnival Glory by any chance? My son just started a 4 month contract with them. He is playing his guitar and singing in some lounges and on the pool deck three times a day. It would freak him out if I could get some strangers(to him, anyway) to come up and say hello to him by name.
Unfortunately not this time, although I have sailed on that ship!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #762
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Yesterday I went to a new to me optometrist. I really, really like him. He was more than happy to explain stuff with all the science. He also said that my double vision was a known effect of astigmatism, which I have and has gotten worse. I also liked that he introduced himself as Dave. I am so tired of doctors who call me by my first name and then expect to be called Dr. Whatever. He also explained that the correction change in my prescriptions is large, so I may get dizzy or even nauseous the first week I wear the new glasses. All in all, I am very pleased.

Last year my previous optometrist said that my prescription was fine. I really didn't like her attitude when I told her I would be buying my glasses on the internet. My new optometrist confirms that my prescription should have been updated last year.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #763
Master Chef

Nothing better in life than having good doctors and a good mechanic taxy! Glad for you that you had such a good exam and experience. When we had vision insurance I went to the local member eye doc just once. Not a fan. Spent the bucks to go back to my regular eye guy. At least when we move back home I already know which doctors and mechanics are good.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #764
Chef Extraordinaire

I go to an eye clinic that is under contract to my health plan. The head doctor has made it his mission that he is the only doctor to examine me. They have student doctors and some graduates. But every time they miss something. Like they insist on examine my left eye. I don't use my left eye and can only identify maybe one letter, if I am lucky. I become very impatient and want to leave immediately. He knows this and only gives me a cursory exam on that eye. Like you TL, I too like my eye doctor. And I adore my eye surgeon. I do need to make an appointment with her. But not until the weather gets warmer.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #765
Chef Extraordinaire

I am feeling great after a good, long time in the gym. Spent 115 minutes tonight doing the machines.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #766
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yesterday I went to a new to me optometrist. I really, really like him. He was more than happy to explain stuff with all the science. He also said that my double vision was a known effect of astigmatism, which I have and has gotten worse. I also liked that he introduced himself as Dave. I am so tired of doctors who call me by my first name and then expect to be called Dr. Whatever. He also explained that the correction change in my prescriptions is large, so I may get dizzy or even nauseous the first week I wear the new glasses. All in all, I am very pleased.

Last year my previous optometrist said that my prescription was fine. I really didn't like her attitude when I told her I would be buying my glasses on the internet. My new optometrist confirms that my prescription should have been updated last year.
Good you found an Optomistrist you can trust. When I retired from the military the Dr said everything was fine. Not too long afterwards, I got to the point where I had to close one eye to get rid of the multiple headlights coming at me when I was driving. Mrs D dragged me off to the eye Dr, and she is great. When she set the lens machine to the correct prescription.....holy jeez what a difference. She said I had astigmatism and a 20% prism would correct it. That was in 1996 and she has been my optometrist ever since.
It sure is comforting when you have the proper Dr.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:58 PM   #767
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

Tell me more, I also have severe astigmatism and mine is getting worse, the double vision has happened a couple of times, too.

And my Ocular Migraines are starting to hurt...
Old 02-27-2014, 12:49 AM   #768
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Tell me more, I also have severe astigmatism and mine is getting worse, the double vision has happened a couple of times, too.

And my Ocular Migraines are starting to hurt...
Do you get the double vision even when one eye is closed? Back in 2008 I had a scary episode. It looked like Shreddy had four distinct eyes (with the left or right eye shut). I went to the ER and the neurologists said it was a brain thing, not an eye thing, so most likely a form of migraine. They referred me to the hospital ophthalmologist, who said it was my eyes. She couldn't/wouldn't explain why it happened in episodes. I saw several ophthalmologists at the hospital. I have been seeing another ophthalmologist for two years and one other optometrist and no one ever said anything about double vision from astigmatism. I Googled and it is only mentioned in the Wikipedia article. It also says that astigmatism can cause migraines. I'm thinking that it is not a very common symptom of astigmatism, so they just didn't think of it.

I'll tell you how it goes when I get the new eye glasses.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:22 AM   #769
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I am feeling great after a good, long time in the gym. Spent 115 minutes tonight doing the machines.
Wow! I am impressed. Keep up the good workouts.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:08 AM   #770
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Do you get the double vision even when one eye is closed? Back in 2008 I had a scary episode. It looked like Shreddy had four distinct eyes (with the left or right eye shut). I went to the ER and the neurologists said it was a brain thing, not an eye thing, so most likely a form of migraine. They referred me to the hospital ophthalmologist, who said it was my eyes. She couldn't/wouldn't explain why it happened in episodes. I saw several ophthalmologists at the hospital. I have been seeing another ophthalmologist for two years and one other optometrist and no one ever said anything about double vision from astigmatism. I Googled and it is only mentioned in the Wikipedia article. It also says that astigmatism can cause migraines. I'm thinking that it is not a very common symptom of astigmatism, so they just didn't think of it.

I'll tell you how it goes when I get the new eye glasses.
Not sure whether this is something you want to pursue, but have you ever seen a neuro-ophthalmologist? I saw one several years ago for a chronic headache condition; he wasn't able to help me, but it might be an avenue for you to explore if it's something you're concerned about. He had completed a residency in neurology and a fellowship in ophthalmology.