"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #31
Master Chef

DD hasn't mentioned an insulin pump, Barbara. The Dr may think it's best that they learn to do the shots. They were in a class today with other diabetic children and their parent, and practiced giving each other shots with saline solution.

In regard to shots at school, our town is small, and all the children are in the same complex. Not only will the nurse remember, but his teacher will also remember to send him at lunch time. He has a cell phone, and his mother will probably call and remind him, too.

I sent my daughter a link to this thread. She has her laptop with her, and I know it will make her feel good to know so many nice people are keeping her family in their thoughts.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #32
Traveling Welcome Wagon

That's good to hear Constance. I didn't want to sound all gloom-and-doom--most of the time I'm sure there are no problems at school. I'm glad he is learning how to do the shots. Being young, I'm sure he will handle it a lot better than a lot of adults! I am Type II and just on a couple pills a day, and I keep forgetting to take my evening pill. Sheesh. I have an alarm set on my computer to remind me, but if I forget to turn the alarm on each time I turn the computer on it doesn't do me any good! In fact, I have an alarm set in the other room too, but I don't always hear it. I should move it into the living room.

Continued prayers for Jesse and family.

Barbara

Old 02-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #33
Head Chef

HEck yeah, im gald for the progress. medical technology is awesome. living in america we have good health care, health insurance may be a little tweaked but still have good doctors and nurses (especially cute ones that are single.) so the children gave their parents shots with saline? thats cool. thats a good way to show support for the child. It makes me smile when i hear about parents doing amzing things for their children. There is so much help these days for children its amazing. best of luck and keep us updated.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:50 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Constance, I hope little Jesse is on the mend and is released from hospital soon. Best wishes to him.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #35
Master Chef

An update on Jesse...He's ready to go back to school, but now schools closed due to weather! My daughter did go back to work today, and her boss had a special gift for the boy. He's quite a WWE wrestling fan, and there were four tickets for him to the show in Cape Girardeau, about an hour from here. Since he's an only child, he can even take his best friend!

Health-wise, he's still struggling with his glucose (sugar) level. DD calls in to his doctor (Yaya, I think) in St. Louis every morning with his readings from the previous day. Dr. Y, in turn, is in daily communication with Jesse's local doctor.
The boy's levels start out OK in the morning (no higher than 180), but by bedtime, it's up to 400, so Dr. Y's going to up the insulin again.
She explained to DD that they want to adjust it a little at a time, so they can get just the right amount. This will take time, I guess.

Quite frankly, I'm still awfully worried about my little boy, and probably will continue to be until they can get this thing under control.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
What a wonderful boss!!!!!! Things will get straightened out for the little guy.

Hang in there "daughter of OURS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We all send you and your little guy our best!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:06 PM   #37
Master Chef

You have no idea how much I appreciate you all!

I think I mentioned above that I sent my daughter a link to this thread, and let me tell you, she is so grateful for your support.

She was terrified at first, but now "strong woman" is kicking in. Strong women tend to run in my family.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #38
DC Grandma

I don't know how I missed this...Your family will be in my Prayers.
Marge

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote