"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
Master Chef

Virtual Iron Chef Cookoff

What say we try to figure out a way to have a virtual Iron Chef Cookoff? We will need judges, a moderator, and would-be chef's. The moderator would give the contestants the "secret ingredient". The competing chefs would then "create" new and interesting recipes using the secret ingredient. The judges of course would have to select which recipes looked the best.

I think that a given and agreed upon date and time for posting would be essential for the chef's. And the judge's rulings would be final.

Any takers? Also, ideas for rules need to be discussed and agreed upon.
And a list of people who want to participate needs to be drawn. Pairings would be performed by the moderator based on the supposed skills of the contestants.

Also, the recipes should be something that we could actually try, and should be creative.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
Master Chef

i'd moderate. due to my culinary schooling, i've gotten rather adept at critiqueing dishes & i'm professionally taught to critique.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
Executive Chef

A recipe would be only part of it to make it a true culinary competition. Each contestant would have to make the dish at home, take a picture of it, and post it.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
Hospitality Queen

ironchef, does that mean you want to be a contestant?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
ironchef, does that mean you want to be a contestant?
Maybe, depends on how this develops and if I have time.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:59 AM   #6
Master Chef

I think I'd like to give it a try, but not against Ironchef. He's a bit beyond my skill and has access to much better ingredients. But then, that's why we have a moderator.

Ok, so let's flesh this thing out. Anyone want to take a stab at setting up rules?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 01-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds like a fun idea!!! I agree that posting a picture would be plus!
I would probalby not participate due to time etc..Would it be fair to those who are not professional chefs to compete with those who are? Maybe two catergories? Two winners...and maybe an over-all Grand champion...

Again a great idea!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
Master Chef

Here's a stab at some rules. These are open for discussion of course.

1. All recipes must be made from scratch, i.e. can't use ready made sauces, or pre-cooked items, except where fresh ingredients are not available, such as tomatoes and herbs/spices, etc.

2. All recipes must be made within a specified time period. That time period should not exceed 2 hours (we don't have multiple stoves, ovens, and cooking equipments like they do in kitchen stadium). honor system will govern this, or there could be a start and finish time provided by athe moderator nd agreed upon by the contestants.

3. Can have more than 2 contestants per contest.

4. Secret ingredient must be commonly available to all contestants.

5. Food requirements should include at least 1 entre', two or more sides, and a desert. All portions must utilyse the theme ingredient.

6. Contestants must do their own cooking, plating, and presentation. Helpers can be used under the direction of the head cook.

7. Contestants must not alter (enhance) the photograghs, except to make up for the weakness of the camera equipment. The photo must resemble, as close as possible, the actual food.

8. If anyone makes "trout ice cream" the rest of us will boo and hiss loudly.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Old 01-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #9
Hospitality Queen

The rules sound pretty good, goodweed. While I won't be in the running, I'll certainly watch with bated breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North

8. If anyone makes "trout ice cream" the rest of us will boo and hiss loudly.

got that right! (although I wasn't excited about the lobster ice cream they made either!)
Old 01-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
The rules sound pretty good, goodweed. While I won't be in the running, I'll certainly watch with baited breath.

got that right! (although I wasn't excited about the lobster ice cream they made either!)
Hopefully, that breath won't be baited with trout ice cream.

I wonder if the phrase "baited breath" comes from a person eating or drinking a certain flavor to make their breath more agreeable in the hopes of "catching" the favor of a particular person. And if so, would that mean that a young man or woman should stay away from, say, sardines while trying to catch the attention of a perspective SO?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North