Wal Mart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I am sure you all are familiar with Wal Marts. Well, I don't go there much and now that I did, look who I get to talk to. Out of all the many people and this lady talks to me. I tried to help her find pain medicine for her hands. Doctor told her to just take Tylenol. So I told her what I took and she didn't seem interested. When I said well good luck she told me she is going into nursing home 11 th of next month. She said she hated to get rid of her dog. I asked if she would want me to take it, I love any dog. She said no she was having it put to sleep. When I asked how old she said 5 years old. Is this right? That dog isn't even as old as she is. I didn't like to get uptset cause I know she must feel bad about the whole thing but taking the dog's life just didn't seem fair. My niece who has the fosters, that is all she has is dogs that are old and people don't want to put up with. I bet my niece would take this dog in a heartbeat. Kind of made me disappointed with her about her situation. If It were me, I would want to meet the people or else give it to a no kill shelter. I think they would take it till it died, isn't that right? Oh, I am really depressed now. Just think there are so many people and she talks to me. I asked the next lady I saw if she thought it was fair she said right away no. How would you feel? Keep thinking about the dog getting put down and why?

ITK, I can see how upset you are, but please try to let this go. This woman may just have been complaining out loud and not really going to put her dog down. She may not even OWN a dog for that matter. People lie. And they exaggerate just to evoke some kind of response in the person they are talking to. Don't worry, IF this woman actually has a dog, I am pretty sure that no self respecting vet will put down a young healthy dog just because she can't keep it anymore. They will find it a home.

WHAT ALIX SAID;
I used to be in retailing, and I could tell you stories that you would swear i made up, all about people in the autumn of their lives, alone at home, who can only get a decent conversation at a store somewhere, and they thirst, as do we all, for a decent conversation, and so they embellish, and thay exaggerate, and they keep you talking, and interacting, and of course, that's what it's all about.
There go we, possibly........

Good

I feel better already!

You just never know about people and then I have to run into them! Well, I just will forget about it and wait till I have to go back there again next time and try to recall what you both said.

If you hear about me talking about killing my dog, take me to the looney farm. I will probably feel better there. I am not making fun of this person in anyway only myself that it could be me. but right now I don't lie.

Here's some food for thought:
Suppose the pet is rehomed in a bad setting? What's a bad setting? Well, off the bat, anything other than the five years he's already known. Sure, most dogs can adapt, but there are a few that can't. There's even stories about the dog who died on his owner's grave. It's not uncommon for a dog to go into a shutdown mode.
Or worse, it truly could be a bad situation. All of a sudden he's ignored, kept outside, or there are unforseen kids stopping over that the dog probably isn't used to and reacts in a normal, but unacceptable way, or he gets loose and winds up in a shelter.... or worse (insert mental image of Michael Vick types here).

This is truly a moral dilemma if you ask me. Maybe this older person has absolutely no one she can place the dog with or would even trust to care for him the same way she has. Putting him down will haunt her for the rest of her life, but so may not knowing what happened to him..... Probably in a worse way.

No, dogs are not throwaways, but that lays on her decision to get a puppy five years before she needed to go into a home in the first place. Here's one for you: An older woman calls me to look after her 14 year old Min Schnauzer... not the most adaptable breed out there. Why? Because she is moving out of her home and into an apt. I tell her she should find an apt that accepts pets and she says IT DOES!!! She just doesn't want to have to put her shoes and robe on to let the dog out! In all honesty, I hoped that she put the dog humanely to sleep and reflected back on the way he was so easy to try to give away when you know that wouldn't have been in the dog's best interest. Then I hope she chastises herself the rest of her life for not wanting to paper train him or put on her shoes.

But you are right. This dog is only five years old. Still, there is a lot that needs looked at. Maybe she even wants to be burried with him when she dies....

I'm not trying to be argumentive, just bring up different perspectives.

:( ITK I would be upset also I just hope the women did not mean what she said I also would have taken the dog even if to only to find it a good home, Im at my limit with 3 saved dogs and 2 cats.If she meant it, Im sure there are people who will intervene and save the dog. Maybe she was just full of it I sure hope so.
I admire your empathy and caring,love for animals Im the same way and you would not believe how some people,not many but they are out there that actually make fun of me for feeling and having respect for life.But I dont care because just like you I dont have a cold,black heart thats what makes us the better person.God Bless You!

Even if she meant what she said, and as Alix said she was probably just talking, what you said might have planted a seed of doubt in her mind and made her think about it. And, as Alix also said, the vet would have something to say about it. She probably has kids who will take the dog.

:) Barbara

ITK - I know the people where I take my dog. If anyone comes to put a dog or cat "down" without justification they keep the animal and find a home for it. They will NOT put a dog or cat, or any animal, down for the heck of it. Like I said, they keep it and find a home for it.

Alix said:
... I am pretty sure that no self respecting vet will put down a young healthy dog just because she can't keep it anymore. They will find it a home.

Agreed, Alix. My vet won't give The Big Shot to perfectly healthy animals, either, he just has the owner sign a document releasing ownership of the animal to the animal hospital, and then they keep it and try to place it. In fact, I have helped a couple of friends find great pets by putting them in touch with my vet.

Thanks Again

Well, I feel better knowing you all have empathy for dogs the way I do. Sometimes you wonder where people have their hearts? Just looking at an animal knows they have purpose here too. This dog must have been real companion to this lady and I hope she thinks about the dog's sacrifice too. I feel that is what made the dog so valuable to her.

My family thinks as you all do that the vet would not put healthy animal to sleep. It would be against his principals to protect life. As you all have said, we don't know how we will be when it is our time. I am praying that I won't be burden to anyone. Just as my own mother did, fall asleep.

Thank you all for the time and understanding. To know that all of you feel the same gives me assurance that you share your love with your pets. Just like children they need our attention no matter what time of day it is. I apologize for unloading the way I did yesterday but most of my friends weren't here and I knew my computer family was. I do consider you all my family. We all have our different viewpoints but basically we understand one another. May God bless all of you for the time you've given me.

Back
Top Bottom