Water Heater Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennyema

Chef Extraordinaire
A friend of mine got some water in her basement from our recent flooding. Her water heater went out. She was used to this and went down to relight it but --thanks to her new water heater, purchased last year -- there was no way for her to do so. There was a switch to reignite but it didn't work.

She called the people who installed the new water heater and was told that if the new water heaters are immersed in water they must be replaced!

Has anyone else heard of this or had this happen?

Any advice much appreciated, of course

I'm not aware of any regulations for this. I'd recommend your friend call the town building or plumbing inspector to get an unbiased opinion.

When it comes to water, gas and fire, I would be very careful. From past experience, having had rain come into my furnace area, read all directions on the heater. Don't attempt to relight or do anything. Don't know if you have a gas co. in your neck of the woods, but if you do, call them & follow up with a licensed contractor if necessary. My furnace controls the central air, heat and guessing it heats my water. Be very careful and if you are unsure, call in a pro. And, I wouldn't be flipping any switches. The unit may not be at fault/the problem.

Last edited:
I'd call the gas/electric company, depending on if it's a gas/electric water heater. I know around here, they can provide a lot of info and advice over the phone and also have good service men if necessary, too. We have used ours in the past because they're completely unbiased, unlike a specific manufacturer would be.

PA Baker said:
I'd call the gas/electric company, depending on if it's a gas/electric water heater. I know around here, they can provide a lot of info and advice over the phone and also have good service men if necessary, too. We have used ours in the past because they're completely unbiased, unlike a specific manufacturer would be.

Right on, PA! They will even come out and do a safety check for free. Jenny, this one really hits home for me. I had 5 years of rain coming into my furnace area and emptying out water, even after I paid out big bucks for a new roof. That being said, safety comes first.

we had to replace ours when my basement flooded. however our watertank was from 1985. i don't know about the newer oned but that really doesn't sound right to me

Thanks for the advice everyone! She has decided to call the gas company and another plumber (the one that sold her the water heater is the one who told her that she had to buy a new one).

Back
Top Bottom