"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Well, that wasn't fun

I don't know what hit me but whatever it was, I hope I never get it back.

I thought I had a bad case of acid reflux last Tuesday evening so I left work an hour early. I woke up and decided to take the following night off since my belly & head wasn't feeling to clear then I had the next 3 nights off so I thought I would be back to normal by Sunday but that's not what happened....

My glands swelled up so bad that I couldn't even touch my neck & my tonsils were inflamed & swollen so bad by Sunday that it took me everything I had to get through the night.

I started some antibiotics until I could have time to get into my doctor so I struggled at work for 2 nights before I had time to get there & she gave me more antibiotics to get me over everything.

She couldn't do a throat culture because the pills were starting to heal me but I think I either had strep or tonsillitis. I've never strep before but I did have tonsillitis one time as a teen so that was but in the late 70's & I couldn't remember if the symptoms were the same but anyhow, I am back, I am feeling much better & I am eating again!

Old 06-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Everymom

How did you have antibiotics BEFORE you saw your doctor?

Glad you're feeling better. That sounds pretty rough.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Glad to hear you're feeling better. That sounds awful.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I had about 5 days worth of antibiotics left over from my last cruise over Christmas when I came home sick. At first I did a Z Pak but I still wasn't back to 100% so they gave me them to finish up the course to get rid of my crud.

My friend needed some of the pills the other week when she had a UTI but when she called her doctor he isn't practicing right now because he's out with cancer and from what I hear he's really bad so that left me with just a few left. I know I shouldn't have given her my pills but they're the same thing she gets every time she gets an UTI so until she gets set up with another doctor she would have had to go to the hospital and I felt I could save her time and money by giving her what she needed.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoymatey2013 View Post
I had about 5 days worth of antibiotics left over from my last cruise over Christmas when I came home sick.

My friend needed some of the pills the other week when she had a UTI . I know I shouldn't have given her my pills but they're the same thing she gets every time she gets an UTI so until she gets set up with another doctor she would have had to go to the hospital and I felt I could save her time and money by giving her what she needed.
Naughty Matey!! You should ALWAYS finish a course of anti bios otherwise you stand the risk of setting up a resistance to them when you might really need them. And you should NEVER pass any drugs on to someone else even if you think they take the same.

Apart from anything else last Christmas's anti-bios could well be out of date and less effective especially if you got them from the cruise ship's medical chest as they may have been in there for ages.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Hope you are feeling better AH
Old 06-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I'm feeling good now but it went into a cold but I can handle that. I just hope I'm over everything for my vacation to Bermuda that's coming up.

I know I should have finished those pills and not share them but I did do the z pak first so everything worked out good. I didn't get them from the ship. I get them for free since my company is owned by Novartis. I don't pay for too many meds with our prescription plan
Old 06-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I have just got over a cold myself, not nice I know

Glad you are feeling a bit better now though