"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

What A Nice Daughter

My daughter had a better late than never 4th BBQ last night after the temps started to drop. I have not gone out of the house and she bought a boneless rib eye steak for me. I told her to buy me the smallest one. Well, if mine is the smallest one, I would hate to see what hers and her husbands were like. But I will do my dangest to eat my way through it. I have been toying with the idea of having it ready to eat just as Spike comes through the door tonight. But I don't know if I can wait that long. And I don't think I can be that mean. So for now it is sitting in the fridge salted and seasoned waiting to meet the heat! In the meantime I will eat the lasagna she sent to me. Not my favorite meal. I don't like rigotta cheese.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Addie, I don't care for ricotta either. I now make Luca Lazzari's lasagna recipe and we love it. Luca’s meat lasagna easy recipe – Franca’s style

Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Addie, I don't care for ricotta either. I now make Luca Lazzari's lasagna recipe and we love it. Luca’s meat lasagna easy recipe – Franca’s style

That looked so much better than what my daughter sent me. I pulled the layers apart and ate just the noodles. I once had lasagna made by a woman who thought she was Italian because she like their food. She made it with a white cream country sauce with sausage meat. I didn't have the heart to tell her the truth. I have to say, it was better than anything with ricotta.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac

I grew up with my Mom using Cottage cheese instead of Ricotta.

However, I learned at a restaurant I cooked at to use Bechmel sauce and I always make it that way. You make it fairly thick and pour it over the middle layer of mozza. It gives a creamy flavourful texture and taste IMO anyway and anyone who has eaten it has loved it!

Anyway, Addie, that was so nice of your daughter - enjoy that steak of yours. If you can't eat it all in one sitting, cook it anyway and use the leftovers for a sandwich or salad!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to eat cottage cheese as a kid. I don't know why I stopped. So I purchased a 4 oz. container of small curd. Now I know why. That first mouthful was so sour tasting to me, that I immediately spit it out.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I grew up with my Mom using Cottage cheese instead of Ricotta.

However, I learned at a restaurant I cooked at to use Bechmel sauce and I always make it that way. You make it fairly thick and pour it over the middle layer of mozza. It gives a creamy flavourful texture and taste IMO anyway and anyone who has eaten it has loved it!

Anyway, Addie, that was so nice of your daughter - enjoy that steak of yours. If you can't eat it all in one sitting, cook it anyway and use the leftovers for a sandwich or salad!
That only works if the bechamel has been cooked long enough to get the yucky taste out of the flour. I thought I hated bechemel, because I had had it undercooked in restos.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

In the recipe I posted, the Bechamel is mixed with the tomato/meat sauce for an ersatz Bolognese sauce.

Luca's recipe calls for 100% parm. We found that too overpowering so subbed 50% shredded mozzarella. I've also used 50/50 Italian sausage and ground beef for the sauce.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That only works if the bechamel has been cooked long enough to get the yucky taste out of the flour. I thought I hated bechemel, because I had had it undercooked in restos.
Well, we will just get together and I will cook you lasagna and let you taste the bechemel, before it goes it . For some reason I seemed to excel at sauces in culinary school. Which is good, because now I have to make non-dairy non-gluten versions and they turn out not too bad!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Master Chef

You're right Addie, a very sweet daughter! With that big of a steak you could also turn the leftovers into a nice serving of mushrooms and beef burgundy over noodles, or a fake beef stroganoff. All kinds of possibilities! You just have to like mushrooms...

With lasagna noodles and bechamel sauce and NO ricotta/cottage cheese you can make a scrumptious Seafood Lasagna. Had a slab of it at a tiny restaurant in Rockland ME a few years back and keep thinking I might want to try it at home. Rich and hearty, so I might wait until colder weather. OTOH, lobsters have been running around $6 a pound and might go down a bit. Hmmm....
Old 07-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

You guys are making me hungry for lasagna. And I just happen to have some sauce in the freezer for another half pan...

And I'd be eating a small piece of lasagna with that ribeye! What steak doesn't get eaten in one sitting is good on some buttered garlic toast the next day with some scrambled eggs alongside for breakfast/brunch.

Tags
other