"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #10241
Executive Chef

I would let you drive Munky!

Old 04-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #10242
Chef Extraordinaire

I have just got up and it is pouring with rain...so love the sound of the rain

Going to get on with some of our game today and also a bit of reading, all nice and cosy with this rain...love it!

Old 04-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #10243
Chef Extraordinaire

It feels good to get back to all of my DC family of friends. I got out of the hospital on thursday the 18th at 9 pm. Surgery all went well. Surgery lasted 4 1/2 hours. I was in the recovery room for 4 hours. The whole day was just a blur to me. What the doctors thought was a mass shaped like a ball, was in reality, a mass intertwined, wrapped around my left kidney several times, they described it like a cinnamon roll. Once it was unwrapped it was 8" in diameter. My left kidney had to be removed. We found out wednesday that it was benign. Praise God!!!! It's the first time in my life that I have been so happy that I was crying.

I have an 18" incision right down the front of my abdomen full of staples that I get out this thursday.There has been more pain in my left side & back more than in the incision. The doc. explained they left side had to be pulled back 5 ", my colon temporarily taken out & a few other internal organs moved around to be able to get at this thing. So, the side pain is my muscles just growing back together. The muscle spasms are the worst. I am taking hydrocordone & valum as well as tylenol. Have been using the heating pad alot too. I was only prescribed enough prescription med.'s to get through the weekend. I will definitely be calling for more first thing monday morning.

I am still on a soft diet, I pushed that a bit on saturday as I have been craving foods with seasoning & something I could chew or crunch. Found out real quick the pain associated with that was not worth it at all. One of the things that really bums me out is that I ate nothing for 7 days, just those IV bags I was hooked up to & I gained 20#! How frustrating!! Hope that comes off quickly.

Missing the pool terribly, all in good time. Now here I have to sit....healing. I have never made a real good patient. I do not think much about sitting around & sleeping so much. I mentally feel like I'm ready to get life back to normal, physically a little slower than I want to be.

Thank you again to all of my family of friends here at DC for all of your prayers, good wishes & support. It means more than any of you will ever know.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #10244
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow, what an ordeal SB...so good to see you back and pleased that the surgery was successful

Hope you heal soon
Old 04-21-2013, 02:00 AM   #10245
Executive Chef

So happy you are back with us Simonbaker! So many of your DC family have been wondering how your surgery went and how you were doing.
I can't express how happy I am to hear that the mass is benign. :) take care of yourself and keep us posted on how your recovery progresses. You will be back in the pool in no time!
Old 04-21-2013, 02:43 AM   #10246
Master Chef

Glad you are ok SB :) Hope you have a speedy recovery! Take care :)

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:52 AM   #10247
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Now here I have to sit....healing. I have never made a real good patient. I do not think much about sitting around & sleeping so much. I mentally feel like I'm ready to get life back to normal, physically a little slower than I want to be.
SB,

Glad to hear that you are home and on the mend!

I hope you can spend some of your idle hours here with us on DC!

B
Old 04-21-2013, 04:03 AM   #10248
Chef Extraordinaire

Benign! That is a word I keep in my mind and heart constantly. It sounds like hitting the biggest lottery ever.

I am so glad you are back. I kept worrying about you constantly. There is a wall that all surgical patients hit around three in the afternoon. They become exhausted even if they were doing nothing all day. Nap time! Give in to it. Listen to your body. It will tell you what you can and cannot do. Each day you will feel better. Once the staples come out, you will start to really heal in a hurry.

Do not allow yourself to start to feel down. It is a hard place to come out of. And don't push yourself. It takes time to heal. Your body has been invaded and it doesn't like it. The pain is your body's way of telling you, "No, you can't do that. I need to heal and you are doing something that will impede me. So Stop!"

We are all so happy that it went so well. Sounds like those doctors knew what they were doing. Those pounds will come off really quick once you start to heal fast. When you have the energy to start walking and doing small things, the weight will fall off.

Don't try to diet at this time. Your body needs the nourishment of food and all the good nutrients it has. Once your body has healed then you can start thinking about your diet again.

Remember, everyone here as well as your family is ecstatic that all went well and you can use the word "BENIGN!" The most beautiful word in the English language.

For you For your daughter For your husband . And one for the doctors.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #10249
Chef Extraordinaire

Have been out and grabbed our Indian takeaway, gee it was delicious!

Now home with the heating on and about to go and watch some Grand Designs Australia
Old 04-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #10250
Head Chef

Dear Simonbaker,

+1 of what Addie said. So happy to hear your good news.