"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #19351
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, snow!!!! Love it!

I hear Denver got 8 inches of snow.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #19352
Chef Extraordinaire

Geez. Maybe I should go outside and mow the lawn again if I am going to get another cold blast.
I better check the weather.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #19353
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
It depends. The older varieties, like Annabelle, can take being pruned to the ground in the fall. The newer varieties aren't supposed to be pruned. What do you have, Carol?

I don't know what it is. The first one I had for a few years and it never bloomed. Finally, it died. Now I have another one that my son bought me 2 years ago for Mother's Day. Last year it got one flower on it. So far this year I seem to see a couple green leaves on it and all the dead sticks. I guess I'm supposed to pull them off now?
Old 05-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #19354
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I don't know what it is. The first one I had for a few years and it never bloomed. Finally, it died. Now I have another one that my son bought me 2 years ago for Mother's Day. Last year it got one flower on it. So far this year I seem to see a couple green leaves on it and all the dead sticks. I guess I'm supposed to pull them off now?

Yes, probably safe to do that now. Some bloom on the previous year's wood, but you would probably have seen leaf buds by now. Our winter was hard on mine, I'm going to wait for a bit to prune as some of the branches don't snap off easily and may still produce.

It's getting really cloudy, hoping it will rain, otherwise I need to water the vegetables and seeds I planted yesterday.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #19355
Head Chef

Quote:
Curious as to what plant Dawgluver and CarolPA are talking about. I don't know what 'it' is. Can you save me the trouble of going back through all the posts on this thread?
Old 05-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #19356
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I suggest you get some pruning shears and cut off the dead branches, and also any that are crossing each other. Cut them as far down to the ground as you can. Pulling can damage the plant.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #19357
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Curious as to what plant Dawgluver and CarolPA are talking about. I don't know what 'it' is. Can you save me the trouble of going back through all the posts on this thread?

Hydrangeas. I have 4, my current fave is Endless Summer. I also have a monstrosity that was supposed to be Annabelle, but it's something else, and has totally taken over its allotted corner. We hack it to the ground and it keeps coming back.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #19358
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
The quick way to find it is by clicking the little box, in the quote, with a chevron/arrow next to the person's name. That will take you back to the original post. I had to do that twice in this case, to get back to where the hydrangeas are mentioned.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #19359
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I found a use for my beautifully overabundant chives! I thought, pesto! And found a recipe for it using just chives, almonds, parm, garlic, and olive oil.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #19360
Chef Extraordinaire

Nice tip, Taxy!

I just finished making some creamy cole slaw. I added a little horseradish for a little bite.