"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #21891
Chef Extraordinaire

I got one of my Christmas presents yesterday. My Mr. Coffee maker died. I have had it for many years and it was time it to go to it final resting place. So The Pirate bought me a Zojirushi. It is made in Switzerland. It has a metal carafe and no hot plate. And it shuts itself off when done dripping. I am having a problem with my camera. I took a pic, and as soon as I can upload it I will. A pot was made at 11 last night, and at six this morning, the coffee was still hot. I love it! I also got something else I needed desperately. New nightgowns. I have had my presents ones for nine years or so. So worn thin, you could see through them.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #21892
Executive Chef

Maybe your sons were getting tired of being able to see through your old nightgowns. But then, one of them, at least, likes to walk in on you in the bathroom, so maybe that's not the case.

Addie, I am never going to let you forget that story! LOL

I'm glad you got a coffee maker that you like.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #21893
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Maybe your sons were getting tired of being able to see through your old nightgowns. But then, one of them, at least, likes to walk in on you in the bathroom, so maybe that's not the case.

Addie, I am never going to let you forget that story! LOL

I'm glad you got a coffee maker that you like.
Gee thanks Carol. A true blue friend indeed. It seems like every day it is a new complaint with me. Today, it is an UTI. So much joy. The Pirate got me a flannel nightgown with long sleeves. It is so warm. I think I am going to order me some more. The Pirate went through all of mine and tossed most of them in the trash. He bought some made of just cotton. Their fine, but just not as warm as I need them for the winter.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #21894
Chef Extraordinaire

Amazon.com: Zojirushi EC-BD15 Fresh Brew Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker: Drip Coffeemakers: Kitchen & Dining

I love the fact that my coffee is still steaming hot 12 hours later and I don't have to zap it. It is still as fresh as when I made it. The only drawback is that it uses #4 Melitta filters. But I can get the house brands at a much reduced price.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #21895
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The less you put out, the less you have to take down after the holidays.
I remember one Christmas, during my working years, I was so busy the tree stayed up until St. Patrick's day! It was a real tree and it looked fine until I began taking the ornaments off of it. By the time I was finished it was just a wooden skeleton!

These days I put out a ceramic tree, a nativity set, my wooden Santa Claus riding a pig and a stuffed shark swallowing poor Santa Claus! For me it is more about the memories than the decorating. The last two things help remind me of how commercial Christmas has become.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #21896
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I remember one Christmas, during my working years, I was so busy the tree stayed up until St. Patrick's day! It was a real tree and it looked fine until I began taking the ornaments off of it. By the time I was finished it was just a wooden skeleton!

These days I put out a ceramic tree, a nativity set, my wooden Santa Claus riding a pig and a stuffed shark swallowing poor Santa Claus! For me it is more about the memories than the decorating. The last two things help remind me of how commercial Christmas has become.

I have a Bah Humbug large sign that I hang on my door. I gave all my Christmas stuff to the Building. They now come out only at Christmas time. And I don't have to put them away.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #21897
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Rereading the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series. I just started the last book, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest and even though it's bedtime, I just don't feel like putting it down.

My shopping is all done, everything is put away. Tomorrow I'll have a few things to prep for the freezer.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:26 AM   #21898
Master Chef

I've had two "days" since I got up this morning around 10. I was buzzing along, doing two loads of laundry and a bit of decorating, sorted through one of two boxes of Christmas ornaments...and then KaPow! Started to burp a funny taste up, muscles started to ache (kinda hard to tell if it's a bug or age catching up with me...) and couldn't warm up. Self-medicating with a Boubon/honey/lemon hot toddy, extra strong. I'll pour myself into bed shortly and hope for a miracle when I get up in the morning. Got a Date Night with my honey on Friday. The community theatre I did a few shows at is running "Inspecting Carol" this weekend. It's a spoof version of "A Christmas Carol" and features a bunch of people I know.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:32 AM   #21899
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The less you put out, the less you have to take down after the holidays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
And the less you have to enjoy during the holidays.
I'm with you GG. No live tree since we'll be spending the holiday with the kids back home, but I figure on having three trees up before we leave. I have the 6-foot one in the sunroom, lights already on, and a box of ornaments to hang when the sun warms the room - probably tomorrow. Also putting 5-foot alpine tree in the family room by the fireplace, and a 3-foot alpine on the window seat in the living room, along with an assortment of other holiday items. Lots of other things spread around too, putting the everyday items into the box that the Christmas things come from. Then around the 6th of January I start putting it all back. The obvious Santa things are first, but the trees, angels and winter items might be out until after Valentine's Day. After all, as long as it's white and red it should be OK, right?
Old 12-04-2014, 03:32 AM   #21900
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
The obvious Santa things are first, but the trees, angels and winter items might be out until after Valentine's Day. After all, as long as it's white and red it should be OK, right?

I agree CG, I like to leave a few
"winter related" things out for a while after Christmas. I just make sure the "holiday" items are put away the first week of January. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking