"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #22371
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Our condo association has hired a crew to clear of our buildings' roofs. Teams of 10 men are scurrying around on roof tops with shovels removing all the snow and icicles. They were just doing my roof and broke for lunch. I have a 3' pile of snow on my deck that was shoveled off the roof. They have been doing a good job of cleanup as they go.

About once a year a crew comes and blows out our gutters and down spouts with a leaf blower. One morning I wake up to footsteps over my bed and what sounds like a chain saw (leaf blower) that was a startling way to wake up.

Last week after our snow/ice event, the landscapers came and cleared walkways and sidewalks. That makes HOA fees easier to swallow!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:55 PM   #22372
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Had to work later tonight. Looking forward to a day off tomorrow. Last two weeks with all the ice and snow kept me from getting stuff done on my days off (people drive horribly here in adverse weather). I'm having Costco withdrawal so a trip there is a must!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:50 PM   #22373
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Had to work later tonight. Looking forward to a day off tomorrow. Last two weeks with all the ice and snow kept me from getting stuff done on my days off (people drive horribly here in adverse weather). I'm having Costco withdrawal so a trip there is a must!
They all need a New Englander to teach them how to drive in this weather.

It looks like Boston has run out of money for snow removal. Waiting for emergency funding to come from Washington.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:35 PM   #22374
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What am I doing? I'm listening to the wind making my windows whistle all day.

I swear, Louisiana weather is schizophrenic! The past two days were in the higher 70s and gorgeously sunny. Particularly nice for my monthly shopping. Today, the wind is howling and whistling from the north and it's overcast.

Other than that I'm enjoying Wild Australia on the TV with the sound turned down; reading a book (as usual); playing with a Sudoku puzzle; and piddling around the kitchen, prepping groceries and getting ready to start a pot of chili.

I'm just flitting from one activity to another, enjoying my day.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #22375
Head Chef

Just joined a gardening forum...and now I feel officially old!
Old 03-07-2015, 01:34 PM   #22376
Chef Extraordinaire

Going to go & check out the home show that is in town this weekend.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #22377
Head Chef

I love finding uses for things people throw out, e.g. skips and/or recycling depots. Today I found new looking, varnished bamboo pieces (looked like it was for a bed) and made good use of it. (As you can see, I favour the naturalistic look of a garden).

Old 03-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #22378
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

That's neat, Creative. I like making stuff from discards too. Matter of fact, I have great difficulty throwing anything away Since we're surrounded by woods, I make a lot of trellises from branches.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #22379
Master Chef

Very nice, creative! That looks great! I love garden pics as much as I do food pics.
-------------------

I've been working in the yard so much lately. Taking a break now. I must have been out there 15 hours at least, in the past 3 days. There isn't much more room left on the back patio for flowers and veggie container gardening. Taking a break now and trying to decide what I want to do for dinner.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #22380
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I love finding uses for things people throw out, e.g. skips and/or recycling depots. Today I found new looking, varnished bamboo pieces (looked like it was for a bed) and made good use of it. (As you can see, I favour the naturalistic look of a garden).

What is your planting season? Were I live we don't put plants in the ground until the last frost. Usually around the middle on May.