"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-23-2015, 07:58 AM   #22811
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Moving is old hat by now, I've packed several U-Hauls in the past, it's just been a while this time. That's why Dad is coming up, to help me pack and load the truck. I already have a stack of moving boxes from Home Depot, I like using the same size boxes for things like the books. Makes nice stacks. I pack dressers with full drawers, removing enough clothes for a week into a suitcase. Enough blankets to wrap the TV.

Shrek is able to pack boxes with CDs, DVDs and paperback books. I'll be able to stack them when I get home. He'll be fine as long as he doesn't have to climb a step stool. My largest bookcases are board and brick. We have a fridge, freezer, lift chair, and that humongous Queen memory foam mattress that I will need help with, the rest I can wander out myself with the hand truck.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #22812
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Moving is old hat by now, I've packed several U-Hauls in the past, it's just been a while this time. That's why Dad is coming up, to help me pack and load the truck. I already have a stack of moving boxes from Home Depot, I like using the same size boxes for things like the books. Makes nice stacks. I pack dressers with full drawers, removing enough clothes for a week into a suitcase. Enough blankets to wrap the TV.

Shrek is able to pack boxes with CDs, DVDs and paperback books. I'll be able to stack them when I get home. He'll be fine as long as he doesn't have to climb a step stool. My largest bookcases are board and brick. We have a fridge, freezer, lift chair, and that humongous Queen memory foam mattress that I will need help with, the rest I can wander out myself with the hand truck.
I think this move will be good for Shrek!

It will give him some exercise and a renewed sense of adventure!

Don't try to move too much yourself! The UHaul website should have some names of available guys to load the truck on moving day. A couple of guys for a couple of hours on each end costs around $150.00 in this area. At least check it out.

U-Haul: Moving Help moving labor service

Old 04-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #22813
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thank you Aunt Bea. I'll look into it, I know there is a "Helping Husband" service here in town.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #22814
Executive Chef

Congratulations, PF! This is great news! This is one of the nice things about being a renter. It makes it so much easier to just pick up and go.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #22815
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thank you Aunt Bea. I'll look into it, I know there is a "Helping Husband" service here in town.
Now that sounds like an excellent plan. Go for it.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:55 PM   #22816
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Congratulations, PF! This is great news! This is one of the nice things about being a renter. It makes it so much easier to just pick up and go.
I have always been a renter. My sister had her own home and I watched her over the years go broke trying to keep up with the repairs. Her house was built in the late 1700. And when they replaced the water main from the house to the city line, they found an old hollowed out log. That cost a pretty penny. They kept the piece of wood on the back porch and my sister used it as a planter. I just let the landlord do the worrying about the repairs.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #22817
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Thanks, Carol. We are excited to be moving.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #22818
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have always been a renter. My sister had her own home and I watched her over the years go broke trying to keep up with the repairs. Her house was built in the late 1700. And when they replaced the water main from the house to the city line, they found an old hollowed out log. That cost a pretty penny. They kept the piece of wood on the back porch and my sister used it as a planter. I just let the landlord do the worrying about the repairs.
I live in an area where I save at least a couple hundred a month owning a townhouse/condo over renting. Since we knew that we would stay put for a while, owning seemed like the sensible alternative. We have 3 bedrooms, a 3 bedroom apartment in the area starts at $300 more than our mortgage, and this isn't even an upscale apartment!

Renting is great for those who want everything taken care of, I rented for close to 15 years with no regrets. It also great if you aren't sure that this is where you want to be for the long term. People are always saying "you're throwing away your money renting", but I disagree, they are providing a roof over your head and keeping everything in working order, that's definitely worth something!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #22819
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Here it is probably easier to move if you don't rent. Leases on most decent apartments and flats are for a year. If you want to move early, you either pay the rent for the rest of the year or find someone to sublet the place and the landlord has to approve them.

A friend of mine rented the same flat for well over 20 years and would happily have stayed there for the rest of her life. Landlords can't just willy nilly refuse to renew a lease, but her landlord decided she wanted to live in that flat. Then she had to, and did, give six months notice prior to the end of the lease. Now my friend lives in a much less conveniently located similar flat.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #22820
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I ordered groceries online last night/early this morning. They arrived about half an hour ago. Yay! They arrived before we had to use the backup coffee and before we ran out of cream for that coffee.