"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #22821
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I'm baking for a bake sale tomorrow. 3 varieties of cupcakes, 2 varieties of brownies, 2 varieties of cookies and rice crispy treats with their tops dipped in chocolate.

Let the baking begin!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #22822
Certified Pretend Chef

I'm preparing for a traditional Armenian dinner for my sister and BIL for Saturday night. I'm currently simmering fowl to extract a stock for use as part of the dinner.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #22823
Master Chef

We rented the first three years we were married, until we saved enough for a big down payment and found a house we liked. I was so happy to leave the apartment life behind then. Over the years we've contracted to build three homes. I wouldn't have had it any other way. Now that we're both in our 60s and not getting any younger, I'm wondering IF I could just suck it up and live rightnextto another person's home. Sure would be nice to not have to ask Himself to do the yardwork anymore!

I'm trying to decide whether I want go grocery shop or do some work around here. If I shop, I have to cook. I'm getting tired of cooking. Guess I'm on the edge of the dreaded "Kitchen Desert Zone". If I do housework, my joints ache. I will have to start remembering to take an Ibuprofen or two when I start a chore. Maybe I'll take a nap...
Old 04-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #22824
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Called the clinic to get my blood pressure meds renewed, and was told I need a doctor's appointment. The next available time is mid September! Gah! Thankfully I'm not dying, and supposedly they'll renew the meds until then.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:36 PM   #22825
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
We rented the first three years we were married, until we saved enough for a big down payment and found a house we liked. I was so happy to leave the apartment life behind then. Over the years we've contracted to build three homes. I wouldn't have had it any other way. Now that we're both in our 60s and not getting any younger, I'm wondering IF I could just suck it up and live rightnextto another person's home. Sure would be nice to not have to ask Himself to do the yardwork anymore!

I'm trying to decide whether I want go grocery shop or do some work around here. If I shop, I have to cook. I'm getting tired of cooking. Guess I'm on the edge of the dreaded "Kitchen Desert Zone". If I do housework, my joints ache. I will have to start remembering to take an Ibuprofen or two when I start a chore. Maybe I'll take a nap...
That's pretty much why we have a townhouse condo, neither one of us has any interest in doing any kind of yard work! Some day if we get a free standing house, we'll have a lawn service worked into the budget!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:21 PM   #22826
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

You are beginning to sound like me. I am on the Vicodin for the pain in my left hip and the base of my spine. Even though I am supposed to take them three times a day, I don't. It is when I am in the middle of a major chore of cleaning that I remember to take them. Then I have to stop everything and wait for them to kick in. As long as I don't push myself too hard, and take it slow and sit down every so often. Otherwise I am toast.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:33 PM   #22827
Chef Extraordinaire

I have two large pork chops dipped and breaded. Two Yukon Gold 'taters are peeled and cut up just waiting for the heat to be applied. I had peas the other night. So tonight I am going to peel two carrots and after they are cooked, I will add them to a seasoned white sauce.

But right now I am sitting down trying to get up the energy to get some gitupandgo!
Old 04-24-2015, 07:08 PM   #22828
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
We rented the first three years we were married, until we saved enough for a big down payment and found a house we liked. I was so happy to leave the apartment life behind then. Over the years we've contracted to build three homes. I wouldn't have had it any other way. Now that we're both in our 60s and not getting any younger, I'm wondering IF I could just suck it up and live rightnextto another person's home. Sure would be nice to not have to ask Himself to do the yardwork anymore! ...
I agree with bakechef. Condo living is the way to go. We do no outside work except for SO's theraputic garden. The only snow removal we have to do is clear off our cars and move them so others can plow out our parking spaces. They do the sidewalks, steps and landings.

We also have a pool and tennis court for the summer. I never have to paint the house, replace the roof or any of that other stuff.

Love it!
Old 04-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #22829
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
There certainly are advantages to having a condo. I don't even have to move the car for snow removal because ours has underground parking. But, there can be stupid rules. I know someone who lives in the condo association across the street. She isn't allowed to put a clothes line in her tiny yard. They actually enforce that.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #22830
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
There certainly are advantages to having a condo. I don't even have to move the car for snow removal because ours has underground parking. But, there can be stupid rules. I know someone who lives in the condo association across the street. She isn't allowed to put a clothes line in her tiny yard. They actually enforce that.
I see the reasoning for that rule. Some consider the sight of clothes hung on a clothesline as not fitting into the view of a natural area.

As a condo owner, you sacrifice some of the individual freedoms you enjoy in your own home. Rules like that one are usually intended to maintain a uniformly attractive area that is appealing to potential buyers so home values rise and remain high.

Many condo associations don't allow pets or restrict their size and number.

With so many homes in a much smaller area, the population density is much higher than in a traditional residential neighborhood with half acre lots so irritations are magnified and impact more people.