"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #25821
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I was sitting watching television and all of a sudden my heart started to race. Uh Oh! I know that feeling too well. I took a hit of my liquid nitrogen. Waited ten minutes, no change, took a second hit. Ten minutes later I really do not feel very good. Took an aspirin and told Pirate to call 911. They were at my door almost instantly. Fire Department arrived first. Gave me oxygen. Usually that helps. Not this time. Medics gave me another shot of the liquid nitrogen. That helped a little. I still had the pain in both arms and now in the middle of my chest. They get me bundled up on the litter, and into the ambulance. Of course all the lobby owls were there to see who was going out. (I hate that!)

I had four medics working on me. I was in the ER for six hours. It seems I wasn't having a heart attack. I was having a Heart Episode. Of course they kept me overnight. But the doctors told me I did everything right. That was good to hear.

In the bed next to me was a man. He had a lot of people really working on him. He was very young. It seems he was drunk and fell. In that fall, he hid his head real hard and had a very large gash. He also broke his neck. It took them quite a while to bring him too. I quietly asked my nurse how he was. They think he may not be paralyzed. The good thing is that when he hit his head, he knocked himself out and didn't try to move.

Now yesterday was July 1st. The day all the brand spanking new doctors get their long white coats and report to their assigned hospitals. Groups of them were going through the ER. And they all had to stop at the bed next door. It brought back memories of when Poo got his long jacket. He drove all the way up from Connecticut to show me. I can't stop thinking about the patient next to me. A young man who may be facing a life changing situation. Every time he crosses my mind, a small little prayer is sent up.

Me, I am fine. A lot better off then him.
Addie, sorry to hear about your episode and it's good you made it through okay, but it wasn't with the help of liquid NITROGEN because you'd probably be dead if you had taken 3 shots of that, and those medics would be in a world of trouble. There is quite a bit of difference in nitrogen and nitroglycerin.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:46 PM   #25822
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Addie, sorry to hear about your episode and it's good you made it through okay, but it wasn't with the help of liquid NITROGEN because you'd probably be dead if you had taken 3 shots of that, and those medics would be in a world of trouble. There is quite a bit of difference in nitrogen and nitroglycerin.
Blame it on my lazy typing habits. I did meant the nitroglycerin. I assumed that everyone would know I meant nitroglycerin. I keep four bottles of it handy at all times. One right beside my bed, one right here at the computer, one with my scooter for when I make a quick run to the store, and one in my purse. I find that it works much quicker than the pills.

Thanks for the correction.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #25823
Master Chef

Busy day today. I went to our local farmers market this morning and picked up some peaches, plums, and a couple of baskets of strawberries. Saw some friends I hadn't seen in a while. Cleaned the house, paid bills online, got caught up on email, and started to relax with a movie when my brother called and wanted to come over, so had a nice afternoon visiting with him. Looking for a movie now.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:12 AM   #25824
Master Chef

Winding down after a busy day and night. Got all of the holiday food shopping done this afternoon, then headed out with Goober and his friend, Ms. Em. We wandered and trolley-ed around the Akron Art Walk, and spent some time at a poetry reading. Got to meet a few of Goober's friends that raved to us about the quality of his photographs (squeeee!) and then Ms. Em took us to a really cool speakeasy! Ended up stopping for a quick bite at a local pub - no drinking, as we were still trying to soak up the alcohol from the speakeasy!

Now it's a bit of wine, the laptop and relaxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 07-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #25825
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Winding down after a busy day and night. Got all of the holiday food shopping done this afternoon, then headed out with Goober and his friend, Ms. Em. We wandered and trolley-ed around the Akron Art Walk, and spent some time at a poetry reading. Got to meet a few of Goober's friends that raved to us about the quality of his photographs (squeeee!) and then Ms. Em took us to a really cool speakeasy! Ended up stopping for a quick bite at a local pub - no drinking, as we were still trying to soak up the alcohol from the speakeasy!

Now it's a bit of wine, the laptop and relaxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sounds like you are having a great time. I am jealous. I am nursing an earache. And I think I am going mad. I turned on DC, and the print looks so much bigger.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #25826
Master Chef

We are enjoying ourselves, Addie. Even though Loverly has neighbors on either side (she's the middle unit of a 3-unit condo building), we never have to listen to dogs barking for very long. Very polite dog owners, unlike our neighbor back in MA. Drivers are polite, roads are wide and well-marked. Sun is a little brighter, air is a little cleaner...OK, those last two are probably my perception since I'm back "home" and spending fun times with our kids.

I have to say, though, that the greater Cleveland and Akron areas have been very good in announcing and promoting events before they occur. Always have been, but so much more now with the internet and social websites. I've spent years trying to find a reliable source of information so I can easily access what is going on before time. They might exist, but so far the best town we've found for self-promotion is Putnam, CT. Most of the time, though, the first time we find out about something is during the nighttime newscast when they tell you something wrapped up that day. Well that doesn't do US any good!
Old 07-03-2016, 05:43 PM   #25827
Chef Extraordinaire

The saying says that "you can't go home again." I think in your case, who ever said it was dead wrong. You always seem to find the magic in going home every time you make that trip. I think it is time for you and Himself to seriously get your home ready for the "sale!" Not only will the both of you be happier, but so will your children. It is time to bring the family back together.

Massachusetts has enjoyed your stay here, but you are much happier in Ohio. And I can understand that. I have left here five times and lived all over this country. But I keep coming home. I have lived in some of the most beautiful parts of our country. And yet I still kept coming back to a city full of shootings and drive by street murders.

But remember, you will always have your DC family, no matter where you are. And we do love having you here. As well as in Massachusetts. But as a native resident, I have to say "get the heck out of my State!" Go home. Your babies are calling you!" And here are some angel wings for the both of you to help you on your way!
Old 07-04-2016, 12:20 AM   #25828
Master Chef

Thanks for the wings, Addie, but it would be better if you showed up with either a paint brush or a garden trowel. Just sayin'...
Old 07-04-2016, 01:31 AM   #25829
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Thanks for the wings, Addie, but it would be better if you showed up with either a paint brush or a garden trowel. Just sayin'...
I'll see what I can do. I am sure Spike has lots of paint brushes and trowels. I may even send Spike to do some of the work for you.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:18 PM   #25830
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I just came inside to get a "hit" of air-conditioning and dry air. On Monday our pool pump died and, yesterday, there were horrible storms. To the extent my best friend and I were in a tornado yesterday afternoon. Not my first tornado, but apparently hers. She stayed shaken up for quite a while after it was over.

As a direct result of all of yesterday's weather activity, the pool is filled with leaves. Looked like a great big bowl of tossed salad. I just finished using the pool leaf rake to clean nearly all the leaves. By the time I was done, I was DONE. Today's temp has a feels like of 108F, with humidity in the 85+ percent range. Not pleasant. Those few minutes I was outside were more than enough for me...for a while.

Sadly, more serious weather is predicted for this afternoon. Guess I'd better fasten my seat belt.