"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #2711
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker
Thank you both! Bottom right broken off on the inside. Luckily he got it all out in 1 piece, he was alittle concerned. Sorry....probaly a little information overload:)
Ouch! Hope he gave you painkillers!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #2712
Chef Extraordinaire

generic vicotin...hydrocordone :)

Old 04-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #2713
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Just got home from the dentist. They had to pull my painful tooth. Looks like soup for supper tonight.
So sorry to hear, of the pain. Is there something they will do to replace that tooth? I'm asking because I've got one like that, and I'm worried.

I had a wisdom tooth taken out and it had a hook on the root. They didn't get the hook out, and a few weeks later it started coming out the side gums. It was not fun nor pretty. Be thankful they got it all out.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #2714
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
So sorry to hear, of the pain. Is there something they will do to replace that tooth? I'm asking because I've got one like that, and I'm worried.

I had a wisdom tooth taken out and it had a hook on the root. They didn't get the hook out, and a few weeks later it started coming out the side gums. It was not fun nor pretty. Be thankful they got it all out.

I am glad to have it finally done. I do not think i will try to go for a replacement. A "partial" would be an option. Not sure I want to put the $ into it. i figure eventually my back gums will toughen up.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #2715
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I am glad to have it finally done. I do not think i will try to go for a replacement. A "partial" would be an option. Not sure I want to put the $ into it. i figure eventually my back gums will toughen up.
Bummer that you had to have it pulled.

Is there a matching tooth above or below it? If, so, the lack of that tooth will cause problems for its "mate". Teeth need to have pressure from other teeth. I learned this the hard way.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #2716
Chef Extraordinaire

I do have one above it. What do you mean? What did you learn the hard way?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #2717
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I do have one above it. What do you mean? What did you learn the hard way?
Teeth need the daily pressure from chewing against another tooth. If they don't get it, the bone that is holding in the tooth will start to vanish.

The tooth that lost its "mate" started to "lift" and eventually fell out due to bone loss.

Ask your dentist. I have no idea what the best solution might be, but do talk to your dentist about this.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #2718
Head Chef

anyway you want it, that's the way you need it

Taxlady--let me summarize what you are doing. Taxes, then, after that, more taxes, shredding, staple removing, and more taxes. Then, taxes. You are doing a GREAT JOB. It's a tough job but someone has to do them.

I'm sitting here trying not to laugh about, ANYWAY YOU WANT IT...a journey moment. State Farm has itself a little Journey moment | '80s music, John Hughes movies, big hair: Stuck in the '80s | Tampa Bay Times
Old 04-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #2719
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Teeth need the daily pressure from chewing against another tooth. If they don't get it, the bone that is holding in the tooth will start to vanish.

The tooth that lost its "mate" started to "lift" and eventually fell out due to bone loss.

Ask your dentist. I have no idea what the best solution might be, but do talk to your dentist about this.
Thanks for the info. I will ask the dentist about it. I have always had a real fear of dentists since childhood that I have had a difficult time overcoming. Bad past experiences from childhood. I grew up in a family of 9 kids. Did not grow up with alot of money. Once year we all got lined up to go to the dentist. Being very frugal we never got novacane. It was well water on the farm so lots of cavaties for everyone. Therefore, it has to hurt pretty bad before I will commit to going to the dentist. The older I am getting I know I really need to get over it.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #2720
Head Chef

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I will ask the dentist about it. I have always had a real fear of dentists since childhood that I have had a difficult time overcoming. Bad past experiences from childhood. I grew up in a family of 9 kids. Did not grow up with alot of money. Once year we all got lined up to go to the dentist. Being very frugal we never got novacane. It was well water on the farm so lots of cavaties for everyone. Therefore, it has to hurt pretty bad before I will commit to going to the dentist. The older I am getting I know I really need to get over it.
I absolutely 'get you'. I was in a family of 4, mom didn't have a driver's license so we went when dad could drive us there. We didn't have money. At 9 years of age this 'jaw's dentist', drilled directly into the root of my tooth, I think he enjoyed it. I screamed in pain, my dad did nothing. He said there were NUNS IN THE WAITING ROOM AND DIDN'T WANT TO UPSET THEM.
Well now, 40 years later, I have metal fillings falling out, and it's excruciating. I Guess the warranty on those fillings ran out.
This is LIKE the look of my dentist.

I need a better dentist. Apparently!