"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #4981
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I just talked to her. She has a tumor the size of an egg at the front of her brain. She is scared. They are going to operate. Here team is meeting today and will let her know when. I am much better than I was yesterday. Thank you for caring. It does help to know that there are friends in this world.
The good news is they have found the cause. The rest of the good news is it is operable. These are both good things. Scared is probably an understatement--I'd be paralyzed with fear.

What is up with a doctor that says her tumor is the size of an egg? Eggs come in all sizes. When did an egg become a standard unit of measure used in medicine? What grade of egg? Geez.

Hugs to you, your daughter, and all your loved ones. Positive thoughts and prayers being sent your way.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #4982
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The good news is they have found the cause. The rest of the good news is it is operable. These are both good things. Scared is probably an understatement--I'd be paralyzed with fear.

What is up with a doctor that says her tumor is the size of an egg? Eggs come in all sizes. When did an egg become a standard unit of measure used in medicine? What grade of egg? Geez.

Hugs to you, your daughter, and all your loved ones. Positive thoughts and prayers being sent your way.
Thank you. As PF expalined to me, "hold up an egg to your forehead." I was thinking a pullet. Most folks thing large eggs. And that is what it is. She needed a unit of measure to compare the size of the mass to. A "large mass" to most people, this family included, would indicate that most of her brain was covered with it. And that is the term her doctor used when she called and told my daughter to get to the hospital immediately. I understand the language her doctor used. She didn't want my daughter to talk herself out of going immediately in. And she would have without such strong language.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #4983
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Sending healing vibes in your daughter's direction
Old 08-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #4984
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Doctors only think eggs come in large Grade AA...that is the comparison.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #4985
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Sending healing vibes in your daughter's direction
Thank you. I am waiting to hear what the doctors have said. In the meantime, I think I will try to take a nap.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #4986
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Doctors only think eggs come in large Grade AA...that is the comparison.
I would like to think in pullet size.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #4987
Executive Chef

19.15 Hours ( 7.15pm ) in Matera, Basilicata

The Vet, Giacinto, Lucia, their daughter Alessia and I are sitting at an open café in the historical city of Matera having Prosecco ... We are discussing A To Z, including Forums, Blogging, and dinner plans ... Giacinto´s parents shall be along soon to pick up Alessia, and the four of us shall go for dinner at the historic Hotel we always stay at, when in Matera.

Have lovely wkend.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #4988
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I would like to think in pullet size.
I collected three pullet-sized eggs from the "E" flock today. I know Edna didn't lay one of those--she's in with the Big Hens at night. But there is a definite difference between pullet-sized and Miss Myrtle's eggs. Hers are definitely Grade AAA+. She'd give a duck a run for its money in an egg-laying competition. I better not let any doctors see Myrtle's eggs.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #4989
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

I just talked to her. She has a tumor the size of an egg at the front of her brain. She is scared. They are going to operate. Here team is meeting today and will let her know when. I am much better than I was yesterday. Thank you for caring. It does help to know that there are friends in this world.
Addie, my friend's tumor was just as you described. It was really close to the optic nerve, and her med team did a great job of removing it. Thankfully it was non-cancerous, apparently most tumors of this kind are not cancerous. Her after-care therapist had had a similar operation, apparently it's more common than we would think. She is now back 100%, working and driving. They did not have to shave her whole head. There's a scar, but her hair hides it. My primary care Dr. also had a similar tumor removed a couple years ago, he's also back 100%.

Hoping for the best for your daughter!
Old 08-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #4990
Chef Extraordinaire

+2

Enjoying a weekend off after vacation. Why is it those 4 day weeks feel so much longer than a regular week?