What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Talking about office chairs reminded me of when my sister got a new job in Copenhagen. She was quite surprised. The company ergonomist came to her office and spent a half an hour adjusting chair, desk, etc. for her. My sister was very comfortable in that office. Some of the adjustments were done in ways that weren't the obvious way to do it..

When I worked at another job, they had an on-site nurse, and she came around to each department and gave a talk on ergonomics, and the importance of having your work station set up properly. I had been sitting at a left-credenza work station and developed tendonitis in my left shoulder from repetitive turning left toward the credenza. I asked to be moved to a right-credenza work station to help my shoulder to heal. I was told that they can't be moving everyone just because they don't like where they are sitting. So I guess that little speech by the nurse was just to cover their butt for OSHA.

Thanks RJD, just 4 hours a day to start. I also have to get my workstation rebuilt...it's all on boxes since the remodeled the office. They gave us built in desks and cupboards.

I just dropped a whole cup of coffee and didn't break the mug...it's amazing how far a cup of coffee can go and I was wearing half of it Are we sure it's FRIday??? Good thing it was no longer hot.

I'll be mopping the kitchen floor today.:mrgreen:

You can use the sock method, no one will know! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

You can use the sock method, no one will know! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
Works great for baseboards. ;) I actually save old sox to use as dust rags - I slip them on my hand like puppets. :mrgreen: Himself's old sox get put to work as the baseboard dusters - I can slip one of his over my own sock, dust the baseboard, and still end up with my own sock still clean. Yup, Queen of Lazy I am! :LOL:

Taking a break from the sun to do some cooking. SO's daughter, SIL and GS arrive from Florida tomorrow and I'm making what has become our traditional 'first night together' meal, American Chop Suey.

Due to the limited cookware I have available, I have to cook in stages. Right now the sauce is simmering then I have to empty that into a bowl so I can use the same pot to cook the pasta. No clue what I'll be able to mix them together in.

Waiting patiently (or not! :LOL:) for my split pea soup to get done. :yum: It's slowly simmering on the stovetop right now and smells wonderful! Torture! :LOL: Should be another hour or so.

My sciatic pain was all the time except when I was sitting in the chair. I even have the sofa cushion pitched forward to sit and relax.

Aside from the small incidences of sciatia I have had over the years, I have had two that just about paralyzed me. I couldn't even get out of bed. I found that total bed rest is what worked best, both times. The first time happened when The Pirate was just a couple of days old. I was nursing him, changing his diapers with him on my stomach, and just having a good old time. The second one happened in Hawaii. I had gone on a five mile hike. Not a good idea. But today, if I even feel the slightest pain in my hip, I immediately lay down and stay there for at least 24 hours. And it works. :angel:

Aside from the small incidences of sciatia I have had over the years, I have had two that just about paralyzed me. I couldn't even get out of bed. I found that total bed rest is what worked best, both times. The first time happened when The Pirate was just a couple of days old. I was nursing him, changing his diapers with him on my stomach, and just having a good old time. The second one happened in Hawaii. I had gone on a five mile hike. Not a good idea. But today, if I even feel the slightest pain in my hip, I immediately lay down and stay there for at least 24 hours. And it works. :angel:

On my worst attacks I do the same thing. It was first diagnosed when I was working in catering. That was the start of diagnosing all my chronic pains - osteoarthritis, sciatica (both sides), triple lumbar fracture, Fibromyalgia, migraines and chronic fatigue syndrome. This is why I always seem sick - but the truth is, I have learned over the past 22 years since I was in an accident and fractured my back that you do what have to to get keep the pain to a minimum and just get on with life.

On that note, my project for the day is rolling 3 skeins of wool into balls to complete my latest project - a two tone cowl for my best friend.

I had to google scatia... learned something new again ;o)

Hope you get the best out of it all...

Today I had the first lesson of my english course, so I have something to do for the next 9 fridays ;o)
We have the same teacher as last year and it started funny - again ;o)

On that note, my project for the day is rolling 3 skeins of wool into balls to complete my latest project - a two tone cowl for my best friend.
Do you know the trick of putting the end of the yarn in a medicine bottle, put the cap on, and then wind around the bottle? It makes it possible to pull the yarn from the middle. :cool:

Thanks, Taxy. I did not know that one! I have lots of empty medicine bottles waiting to go to recycling so I will give it a go.:)

I just got up from a nap and the cough I was positive had gone away is back again. Only 4 days till surgery :(.

Well that's a nifty sounding trick for wrapping a lot of string or yarn up.

I just pulled my pistol parts out of the motor oil and rubbed on them a little bit with some paper towels to start the cleaning off process. Things are looking good.
I probably ought to think about starting dinner soon. Or not.

Taxy, your trick worked perfectly! I wish I had known it sooner! My main wool supplier has high-end product and it all comes in skeins. Half the time it takes longer to roll it up than to crochet it. But this was easy and having that inner end is invaluable! One down, two to go but I have enough to continue my work for awhile before bed.

Pac, I have always had a horrid fear of guns, but hearing and watching your process of refurbishing and putting them together gives me a new respect for the gun and the person. For you, finding, looking after and using your guns is the same for me with my yarn and my cake decorating.

Sometimes ignorance is not bliss! Thanks for that.

PS your signature is unfairly taunting my gallbladder! :-p

Last edited:
Taxy, your trick worked perfectly! I wish I had known it sooner! My main wool supplier has high-end product and it all comes in skeins. Half the time it takes longer to roll it up than to crochet it. But this was easy and having that inner end is invaluable! One down, two to go but I have enough to continue my work for awhile before bed....
I'm glad I thought to mention it. I learned it in the '70s. Back then I crocheted a lot and sold at craft sales and at a crafts store. I should get back to crocheting. I love how fast you can see progress.

I find the "unwind from the middle" particularly useful when you have a cat or more. :ermm: :LOL:

Do you know the trick of putting the end of the yarn in a medicine bottle, put the cap on, and then wind around the bottle? It makes it possible to pull the yarn from the middle. :cool:

Okay....Must be more dense today than usual......can you walk me thru this Taxy? Are you pulling the yarn from the middle and winding around a pill bottle? If so how is this different than doing the same from the loose end?.....I'm sure I'm going to feel really dumb when you explain :)

Okay....Must be more dense today than usual......can you walk me thru this Taxy? Are you pulling the yarn from the middle and winding around a pill bottle? If so how is this different than doing the same from the loose end?.....I'm sure I'm going to feel really dumb when you explain :)

No Bunny, you are not dense. The wool I was talking about is in a rough skein which needs to be put into a literal ball or one resembling the skeins you usually buy in the store with the loose end in the middle. Taxy's method is to keep the end in the bottle, while you wind the wool around it. When done, you take the bottle and end out and you can pull through the middle.

Taxy, did I explain it correctly. Sometimes it is hard to explain something I just do.

No Bunny, you are not dense. The wool I was talking about is in a rough skein which needs to be put into a literal ball or one resembling the skeins you usually buy in the store with the loose end in the middle. Taxy's method is to keep the end in the bottle, while you wind the wool around it. When done, you take the bottle and end out and you can pull through the middle.

Taxy, did I explain it correctly. Sometimes it is hard to explain something I just do.
Sounds right to me. Now, does it make sense to Somebunny?

Sounds right to me. Now, does it make sense to Somebunny?

My interpretation is to take the end piece of yarn, stick it into the bottom of the pill bottle, then take the top, snap it on, which traps the yarn between the lid and the bottle, and proceed to wind the yarn around the pill bottle. Is that right?

My interpretation is to take the end piece of yarn, stick it into the bottom of the pill bottle, then take the top, snap it on, which traps the yarn between the lid and the bottle, and proceed to wind the yarn around the pill bottle. Is that right?
Yup. And then, when you're done, you can pull the yarn out from the middle of the ball so it doesn't roll around.

Yup. And then, when you're done, you can pull the yarn out from the middle of the ball so it doesn't roll around.

To clarify further. That end in the bottle that you removed after you have finished winding the rest of it, is the end you are going to use to start your project with. Just like the skeins you buy from the store, you are going to be pulling the thread from the inside as you knit or crochet. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom