"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #9971
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
And I need to get that book back to you.
What did you think of it? Are you going to give her system a try?

You just have to come for a Danish Club lunch...

Old 04-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #9972
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm about to do the scanning of one of my client's paperwork. I hope the flatbed scanner on the desktop computer re-installed properly. I don't want to have to use the little, portable NeatScan for this stuff.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #9973
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
What did you think of it? Are you going to give her system a try?

You just have to come for a Danish Club lunch...
I hope to make it in June. I am going to implement some of the things from the book this year.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #9974
Chef Extraordinaire

We have small plots in a fenced area here that any resident can plant in. They look like unmarked graves. Great idea. Small enough that you can reach the plants from either side. Unfortunately, management didn't give any thought to a place to put the large tools. Rakes, hoe, fork, etc. Every year they prominse to put up a shed for us. But that will never happen. They do have a spigot and hose we can use.

They have discovered that the carpeting put in all the apartments (now more than 15 years) holds onto to the dust and dirt. No matter how much they are cleaned. Yet they are very reluctant to replace the carpeting with out a doctors note. So for now gardening is out of the question.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #9975
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I find that 25,000 to 50,000/day IU of Vitamin A works really well for sore throat. Don't take them for more than 10 days - 2 weeks, really. I think it works because Vitamin A has to do with skin and mucous membranes.
Intersting. Thanks for the tip. I should get some. Not moving much today. I am still in my pj's & it's mid afternoon. My sister told me to up my vitamin D3, so I took about 5,000 iu of that this morning. Still no voice this morning, slept with a towel saturated in vicks last night (mom's home remedy) & have been gargling with salt water. If still no relief monday I will be calling the doctor again.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #9976
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
SB sorry to hear you are not feeling well, get some rest over the weekend.
Thank you! I am really hoping & praying that this will not postpone surgery friday.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #9977
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm trying to figure out how to use my new doohickey that lets me swipe credit cards to my smartphone. The manual is in PDF and annoying to read on screen, so I printed it. It's light grey writing. What a PITA.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #9978
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Intersting. Thanks for the tip. I should get some. Not moving much today. I am still in my pj's & it's mid afternoon. My sister told me to up my vitamin D3, so I took about 5,000 iu of that this morning. Still no voice this morning, slept with a towel saturated in vicks last night (mom's home remedy) & have been gargling with salt water. If still no relief monday I will be calling the doctor again.
May I suggest that since you have a serious medical illness, you might want to consult your doctor before changing any meds - and OTC drugs and supplements are meds that can affect the way Rx drugs work. I imagine you're having lots of blood work done, so ask for a blood chemistry to see if you're deficient in any vitamins or minerals. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #9979
Chef Extraordinaire

Sound advice GG. Folks mean well. But what works for them, can create problems for others. Something as simple such as a multi vitamin. It contains Vitamin K. Which helps blood clot. It is often given to a mother just prior to giving birth. Not something you would want a heart or stroke patient to take.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #9980
Chef Extraordinaire

Good morning!

It is a lovely Sunday morning here...we put our clocks back one hour last night, as daylight savings has finished, so it was nice to get an extra hours sleep

Today we are heading out to a few garden centres...we are going to buy a couple of trees/plants for the garden, why not make it even fuller

Going to buy a garden clock too as we like to know the time when we are outside as we tend to get carried away with the gardening