What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use a personal fan (4") on my desk and a box fan in front of it. I use another box fan in the bedroom. My monthly electric bill is $25, compared to others that use their A/C all the time whose bill is $70-$80 or more.

I stay comfortable with my windows open most of the time. If I get too warm I close the windows and run the A/C for awhile then turn it off and leave the windows closed until after 5pm.

Box fans are $20 or less, but save more than that in electric cost in the first month.

Taxy, I'd suggest you get one just for your computer room.

Last edited:
I wondered about that. I would have tried it if I could find a good place to put it. I may try harder, since you say it makes a significant difference. Ours cools the house just fine, but it is aimed in such a way that it doesn't put a lot of cool air in Stirling's office, the one that has so many computers running that we don't have to heat it in winter. :rolleyes:

I can set the central air 2ºF warmer with the fan going and we're comfortable. Our main floor is a LR and kitchen with a dining area. The fan lives in the passage between. It blows into the LR in the evening. During the day, it's moved about 6-8 feet so it hits the kitchen and dining area as that's where people are.

The two BRs upstairs have ceiling fans to assist the A/C. The fans are mounted over the beds and the control is mounted above the headboard.

Ceiling fans do help so much. I have one in all the bedrooms, living room, and dining room. I especially love the one in my bedroom - the quiet hum is so relaxing and helps me go to sleep. My daughter has the oscillating fans too, and she loves them.

Ceiling fans do help so much. I have one in all the bedrooms, living room, and dining room. I especially love the one in my bedroom - the quiet hum is so relaxing and helps me go to sleep. My daughter has the oscillating fans too, and she loves them.

Absolutely agree with this. We have ceiling fans in all the bedrooms upstairs and the living room, dining room, my office, the kitchen and the sunroom downstairs. I couldn't cook in the summer in the kitchen without them.

Absolutely agree with this. We have ceiling fans in all the bedrooms upstairs and the living room, dining room, my office, the kitchen and the sunroom downstairs. I couldn't cook in the summer in the kitchen without them.

I, personally, don't find any difference by the use of ceiling fans. They just seem to move hot air around. Fortunately where I live there's not the oppressive heat that others might have---- at least not for very long at a time.

I can set the central air 2ºF warmer with the fan going and we're comfortable. Our main floor is a LR and kitchen with a dining area. The fan lives in the passage between. It blows into the LR in the evening. During the day, it's moved about 6-8 feet so it hits the kitchen and dining area as that's where people are.

The two BRs upstairs have ceiling fans to assist the A/C. The fans are mounted over the beds and the control is mounted above the headboard.
Am I understanding this right? You have a movable air conditioner that lives on the ground floor. Do the ceiling fans in the bedrooms "suck" the cool air upstairs?

Our air conditioner is not movable. It's "ductless" and is mounted at the top of the stairs, more or less facing the master bedroom.

I'm hoping to "push" some cold air the opposite direction, into Stirling's office and the spare bedroom.

No, that's not it. We have central air conditioning. Ductwork in the walls take cooled air to every room.

We have an oscillating floor fan that we keep on the main floor of the condo and move around to move the air in the rooms were using at the time. That fan creates air movement that aids the A/C in cooling us so the A/C doesn't have to work as much.

The ceiling fans in the bedrooms blow on you in the bed and help cool you as you sleep (or whatever).

I just finished washing the kitchen floor and I'm sweating like a pig. Steve is off flying an Angel Flight mission, so I turned on all the fans and took my shirt off. Sorry about the "mind picture", it's not a pretty sight. :LOL:

I just finished washing the kitchen floor and I'm sweating like a pig. Steve is off flying an Angel Flight mission, so I turned on all the fans and took my shirt off. Sorry about the "mind picture", it's not a pretty sight. :LOL:

Hmmm. Half naked and glistening with sweat. Let me think about that for a minute. :devilish::devilish::devilish:

I have a LOAD of wonderful news tonight!

Cat & Company are in Constanta; everyone's fine, and they're gearing up for the wedding on Friday. Cat saw her precious fishing boat, the Catina II, for the first time and when she saw it sitting tall and proud, she dropped to her knees on the dock and bawled her head off, lol!

Did anyone think she wouldn't?

The Moms are worn out, but the kids are enjoying a night on the town. Cat has a horrible Romanian car named Snot there, and the kids are out in THAT -- not Rina's Volvo! Gee whizzzz! But no worries; if one of them slams a door too hard and it falls apart, I'm sure she has cab fare. Stela arrived today in Constanta from Brasov, and Cat said she was doing "remarkably well" and obviously happy to be with all of them.

I hope they'll let her post pics! But don't hold your breath. This family's a lot worse than me when it comes to privacy.

The Hernandez family, whose house in our neighborhood burned, moved into a four-bedroom home. They've lost pretty much everything, so we're all still scrambling to get stuff for them. This home is already furnished, and from what I understand, it's comfortable. They're just happy to be together and out of the hotel. Allstate hasn't decided yet whether to raze the house and start over, or gut it and fix it. I saw the inside yesterday, and there is absolutely nothing left of the garage, kitchen, and livingroom and the rest of it has terrible smoke damage, so I'm guessing razing and rebuilding. The fire had also spread to the attic and roof, and that's never good.

The three terrorist kittens we have holed up in the guestroom are fine, and I had forgotten what kittens can be like. My 5 cats still aren't happy, and poor Lilly the dog is still confused. Wish me luck!

Cat sends her love to all of you, and I hope I'll hear from her tomorrow about how the wedding plans are going. It's going to be a real simple one, but unique!

Thanks CCL...love the updates, tell Cat we love and miss her. I'll be on tenterhooks all day Friday...

OH....Friday. I'm already a nervous wreck!

I just can't believe our girl is going to get married. I have seen her grow up and I hate to say this, but dang it, she's a beautiful lady now, and ready to be a wife and a forever mate to Carl.

I remember when she was 16 and she thought boys were the scourge of humanity and the root of all evils.

I did tell her on the phone she fell in love with the scourge of humanity, and she laughed and said, "But Carl is no scourge, yes?"

Who could argue with that?

Yesterday morning I got out of the shower and was running around with just the large bath towel wrapped around me. It covered me from the arm pits to my ankles. When my kids were really small, I never left my bedroom in the morning until I was fully dressed. Now I live alone and still feel guilty in a bath towel. Old teachings die hard.

Why is it all right to be seen on a public beach in the tiniest bikini, yet a bra and full brief panties are considered to be in poor taste. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom