What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am taking down our Christmas tree. I usually do it on the first but haven't felt up to it. I still don't, but need to do something. I have slept so much the last two days. At least taking it all down is easier than putting it up.

Thanks guys! My sister the nurse's most infamous quote: "I just wish our old people would die. We need the beds.". GAH! She also thinks that since she's a nurse, she should be the "point person" when talking to the medical folks about Mom. Nope. Over my dead body.

I'm wondering also if Mom might have had a small stroke, her NP thought it was possible. I'm just happy that this normally lucid, albeit at times difficult woman is with us on the short term care thing.

Remind your sister she will be one of "then" someday. Tell her you want to be the one to pull the plug. Whether she needs it or not. :angel:

Remind your sister she will be one of "then" someday. Tell her you want to be the one to pull the plug. Whether she needs it or not. :angel:

:LOL: I would love to pull the plug on her, Addie! :devilish: :angel:

Last edited:
No offense taken, my sister offends me too. I just don't undertand why a person without compassion would go into health care. Thank goodness for our own PF!

Aww, you say that like I care...well, you got me, I do. How horrible to have that attitude towards our elderly, let alone a parent. As long as your Mom is eager about the short term, go for it. This is not an easy decision, but a willing parent makes it a lot easier.

Addie suggested I might know about Medicare, I do know that your Mom must have a 3 day "qualifying stay" in the hospital to achieve Skilled Nursing Facility status. This means she has to be admitted to the hospital with an illness or bone fracture. I do not wish for your Mom to be sick or hurt. If she does qualify, then Medicare pays 100% for the first 20 days of the stay, which includes therapies and nursing care. On the 21st day the patient has to pay the co-pay, which has gone up and it's more than $100 a day, therapy and nursing care still continue for 80 days. On the 100th day the medicare benefit runs out and the patient is responsible for the full amount of their continued stay. Some patients have Medicare B which will pay for their therapies if they still need them, but their room and board and nursing care are out of pocket, Medicaid or Insurance. Can I tell you exactly how happy I was that Shrek only stayed for 10 days?

I wish I could be there and help you with this transition, not easy, I see it every day. Hugs for you, your brother and your mom. If I can help just let me know.

Well, they admitted Mom into the hospital due to anemia and confusion. Thank goodness we'd talked to the Nurse Prac in advance, :LOL: , Mom tried her best to sound normal, but they didn't buy it. Will have to see how the tests come out. Thanks for all the support! :wub:

Just now reading this after the book I wrote. Make sure she IS admitted and not just for "observation". That is how the hospital gets out of having to accept Medicare payment, they just don't admit. Then the patient ends up with a huge bill. If she stays in the hospital for 3 whole days, then make sure she gets her skilled nursing benefit from Medicare and transitions to a nursing facility for therapies.

Just now reading this after the book I wrote. Make sure she IS admitted and not just for "observation". That is how the hospital gets out of having to accept Medicare payment, they just don't admit. Then the patient ends up with a huge bill. If she stays in the hospital for 3 whole days, then make sure she gets her skilled nursing benefit from Medicare and transitions to a nursing facility for therapies.

Ooh. I am going to C&P this and send it to my sibs.

I knew you would have insight, thanks PF!

No offense taken, my sister offends me too. I just don't undertand why a person without compassion would go into health care. Thank goodness for our own PF!
It's very easy for overworked medical staff to seem as though they lack compassion. Maybe your sister has more compassion for strangers who are in need of medical care, but there aren't enough beds.

I have also seen medical staff get burnt out emotionally and then they may have a hard time empathizing. Care too much and it becomes very hard to do the job.

It's very easy for overworked medical staff to seem as though they lack compassion. Maybe your sister has more compassion for strangers who are in need of medical care, but there aren't enough beds.

I have also seen medical staff get burnt out emotionally and then they may have a hard time empathizing. Care too much and it becomes very hard to do the job.

Naw, I would like to think that, but I grew up with her. She's a b*tch.

Mine was hatched from a lizard egg dropped on a rock in the garden...Seriously, I don't know how she came into being in our family, poison is a kind way of describing her personality. My brother and other sister are normal...just like me.

Mine was hatched from a lizard egg dropped on a rock in the garden...Seriously, I don't know how she came into being in our family, poison is a kind way of describing her personality. My brother and other sister are normal...just like me.

Aha! That is, however, an insult to the lizard family. And I fully understand poison. The last thing my mom wants is to go live with my sister, even with her full hallucinations!

Last edited:
We have been watching Masterchef all afternoon, lazing on the recliners, best thing to do in this heat!

We got our new computer chairs delivered this afternoon and they were already assembled which is great :)

Just trying to get used to them as they are ergonomic ones, still comfy but our last ones were high back leather ones, so a bit more on the comfy side, but we want to get better postures etc since we spend so much time on the computer ;)

Back
Top Bottom