"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Wine Guy

What are your Christmas dinner plans?

We normally have a big Christmas dinner at our house with a lot of our extended family. But we hosted Thanksgiving instead this year, so Christmas will be a much smaller affair than usual. That's okay with me.

My daughter is coming home from college with her boyfriend. It will be just the two of them for dinner. We're making Prime Rib with Potatoes Anna, French Peas, and a tossed salad. And of course, you gotta have the creamed horseradish, au jus, and braised mushrooms on the side to go with the beef. I'm also serving my own homemade Cabernet Sauvignon with the meal.

I truly love Christmas. It's always been my favorite holiday, made all the better by close family and friends.

What are everyone else's plans?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Head Chef

This year I'm staying home for Christmas. I'll deliver a few gift but then I'm back at home.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Master Chef

No sit down dinner......just casual finger foods on the dining table and plenty of them to fill the entire table. Most all of my family and guests are happy with this arrangement and there's plenty of variety of food to satisfy everyone.

Similar setup like this New Year's get together we hosted a couple of years ago.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
This will the the 3rd Christmas with my new family. After Buck died, I couldn't have dreamed I'd be so "whole" again.

We're going to host Glenn's three children and their families, his mother and my younger brother for dinner, then wrapping paper mayhem after. There will be a handful of grandchildren (under age 8), so we'll definitely have a blast.

I've planned pineapple/coconut stuffed Cornish hens, Yukon Gold fingerling potatoes with rosemary en papillote, honey-glazed baby carrots, green bean bundles with shallots (haricot verts inserted in yellow squash "rings" and steamed), apple-raisin-cranberry relish flavored with Grand Marnier, homemade potato rolls with butter and white wine, sparkling grape juice for the young ones. For dessert, I've made an assortment of 20 different cookies, candies and sweets, which will be served on tiered holders with coffee.

I, too, love Christmas and this family is so sweet and loving it's easy to open our holiday and enjoy it with them. I can't wait.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
Master Chef

Nothing fancy. Many years ago, Mom had surgery just before the holiday and was not up to cooking. She had 2 homemade pizzas in the freezer. Dad baked them and a new tradition was born. We have homemade pizza and then everyone brings snacks and cookies and whatever goodies they have to share. It's at my house this year so I'm responsible for the pizza and I've decided to add some pork BBQ to the menu since we have one celiac who can't have the pizza and one diabetic who shouldn't have that many carbs either. It's all set out and people graze all day long while we open gifts and play games and chat.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
No sit down dinner......just casual finger foods on the dining table and plenty of them to fill the entire table. Most all of my family and guests are happy with this arrangement and there's plenty of variety of food to satisfy everyone.

Similar setup like this New Year's get together we hosted a couple of years ago.

Woooow, that's where I want to be! Gluttonous and liquored up!
Old 12-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

roadfix, save me a chair between the two tables.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

This Christmas will be a little different for me. SO is going to Florida to be with her family - first time in a long while. We'll have our Christmas on New Years Eve.

My Christmas dinner will be with my two daughters, SIL and grandson. We're finalizing the menu now as there are a LOT of dislikes on each person's list so I have to either find a single dish appropriate to all or make several of each.

What's definite is roast beef tenderloin, Bearnaise sauce, gravy. We may have two starches - baked potato and rice pilaf. Veggies - ???. Desserts galore. SO's Christmas cookies, a chocolate cake with chocolate ganache, vanilla ice cream and a pumpkin cake roll. Hope to finalize soon.

Appetizers are up to the girls.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
roadfix, save me a chair between the two tables.
We'll do. We had one friend that did exactly that.....claimed one bottle to himself. But as a penalty we forced him to spend the night on the couch and watch the Rose Parade in the morning. He didn't mind that at all.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post

fabulous layout, rf! the table is just beautiful--loaded as it is with a delightful assortment of fresh, visually alluring gourmet offerings! makes you, (me:)), want to jump right in, and sample one of each and every thing! with a table like this, i predict you'll be hosting christmases for many years to come....

(this lovely really belongs in our dc food photo gallery)

Tags
christmas, dinner