"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #41
Master Chef

This is an off-topic sub-forum.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #42
Master Chef

I talk about food and post pics of pizzas I make on cycling and cigar forums all the time.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I talk about food and post pics of pizzas I make on cycling and cigar forums all the time.
Cool! So I can talk about emerald tree boa husbandry and breeding? j/k

Craig
Old 02-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #44
Head Chef

So...LOL...mercy mercy! However inappropriate a place for this question, my opinion FWIW, is that hard core gamers are increasing exponentially, meaning that in games like World of Warcraft, more and more people worldwide are opting out of 'reality' in favor of a fantasy life that is apparently 'less-painful' than reality.
The obvious 'danger' of this movement toward fantasy, as predicted in any number of cyberpunk books and stories, is that the "real world" is less and less important as it fades into the background. The result of which will be (already is) that there's a breakdown of services and so-called civilization and with fewer people participating the probability of the doomsayers expectation of world chaos gets closer to being an eventual 'certainty'.
Yes I believe that this scenario is perhaps Dickenesque as in the "ghost of Christmas future", and could be changed, and even if it's already on that slippery slope and gaining momentum, I think it's far enough ahead in time so I don't expect to be around but...it is something to think about...
We are indeed living in a "Brave New World"!
Old 02-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #45
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I don't think anyone would have an issue with his post if he came here and talked about food first. When you talked about pizza at cycling and cigar forums was it your first post or had you already established that you were there to mainly talk about what the board was about?
Old 02-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I don't think anyone would have an issue with his post if he came here and talked about food first. When you talked about pizza at cycling and cigar forums was it your first post or had you already established that you were there to mainly talk about what the board was about?
I agree, you must first establish yourself as a foodie here on this forum. Then you can explore other areas of the forum and veer off-topic. That would be the normal thing to do.

Funny thing about the cigar forum I belong to is that I don't even smoke cigars. I only like and visit their off-topic lounge and food threads. I post there regularly but have never talked about cigars. In fact, I know jack about cigars. I have to assume other members on the board I come in contact with must assume I'm one of them....
Old 02-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #47
Chief Eating Officer

I am on a music forum for a specific band. There are a number of people there who have never listened to said band or who do not like the band.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Hmmm....I wonder what kind of response I would get posing a cooking question on a gaming forum? Just wonderin', mind you.
You can always choose to have the thread Ignored (under Thread Tools) if you don't like it when a subject keeps popping up as each new post is added.

I do that for cooking equipment threads. If I'm not in the market for it, I don't want to keep reading about it.

The same goes for the tabloid type threads that get posted just to stir people up with unproven junk.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

On the other end of the spectrum...

There was a whole slew of food related posts yesterday by a new member who apparently was only interested in getting his facebook link exposed. So while his/her posts were more on topic with the forum, albeit the generic "looks yummy" or "I'll have to make this tonight", I do believe their intent was more malicious.

Always a slippery slope weeding out the legitimate questions from the not so legitimate.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #50
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
He has a brother named Bart!
How about Bat Masterson? He wore a cane and derby hat!