What cool things can you do with vinegar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is just an urban myth. There is no cure for hiccups other than time.

disagree...i have tried several things that stopped my hiccups. admittedly, each person is different and different things work for different people, but yes, there are cures for hicups.

I've found vinegar to be over-rated in most cleansing purposes, but -- if you live in a warm, humid climate and do not have central A/C, there is nothing better for removing the sour smell from your towels and other linens. It works better, much better, than bleach, and does not damage synthetic fabrics the way bleach will.

I have hard water that makes my hair sticky with soap scum. A couple tablespoons of vinegar in a big cup of water eliminates the problem. I do rinse with clear water afterwards, because I don't want to smell like a salad.

Martha Stewart's recipe for window cleaner is 1 gallon of hot water, 1 cup of plain ammonia, 2 cups of white vinegar, and a heaping tablespoon of corn starch. It works amazingly well--I think the cornstarch adds just a little abrasiveness. I lived in a house where the oil furnace had backed up, leaving greasy black soot on all the windows. I tried everything, but nothing worked til I tried this recipe.

Robsan, if I remember correctly that impressive chemical reaction DOES work on cleaning copper, brass, etc. Salt actually works better (again, adding that abrasive quality).

disagree...i have tried several things that stopped my hiccups. admittedly, each person is different and different things work for different people, but yes, there are cures for hicups.

Actually i find just holding my breath for around 10 seconds usually always works with me...

I agree with Jessica about hiccups, there are cures. Getting really "scared" does work. Also, bending over from the waist and drinking water from a glasswhile in this position works for some strange reason.

As for vinegar, I always use it with milk to substitute for buttermilk. And it has a chance of helping to remove yellow mustard stains, depending on the freshness of the stain.

vinegar is a great way to really clean and make your garbage disposal smell nice.........pour about 1/2 to a cup of baking soda down you disposal follow this with ice cubes and a cup of vinegar (I prefer apple cider vinegar but any will do) and a few pieces of ice.. turn on the water and then turn on the disposal......most of you know what happens when the acidic vinegar mixes with the basic or alkaline baking soda.....vavavoom,,,,it will foam up inside your disposal and the ice cubes while they are being churned up will actually knock off any food residue on the blades......don't know where I heard about this but believe me it works great!!!!!

oh, another hint........if your shirts or blouses are washable and are prone to underarm odor soaking them in some vinegar and then washing really does help.....this I've tried........I've also read that soaking your toenails in vinegar water helps with toe fungus......since I don't have that problem I can't verify that that hint is true.......but if I had toe fungus I'd be willing to try anything........as long as I wasn't allergic to vinegar....:)

Back
Top Bottom