What did you have for lunch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wahoo salad with carrots, onions, celery, apples, almonds, celery salt, mayo & lime & fresh flour tortillas.

I'm pretty sure I didn't have lunch today. Not in the normal sense of the word.
Do Christmas cookies count if munched on throughout the day?
:rolleyes:

macdonalds for me :ermm:

Having ham & salad AGAIN for dinner tonight (two days out from Christmas, already over the leftovers! ), needed something vastly different (and oh well if it's not healthy, hardly anything open in the city today)

My lunch usually turns Buck's stomach at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I had a plate of braised turkey neck pieces, boiled turkey liver, gizzard and heart. I'm the only one in the house who has EVER liked these parts of the turkey. I was in turkey yummy heaven. Had a soda to drink and a Christmas cookie for dessert.

Braised?! I used to eat chicken necks and the heart (never much cared for the other parts) just boiled! I kind of wonder if I still would today. You hardly ever get the giblets anymore with poultry, or they are sold in other packaging.

My lunch usually turns Buck's stomach at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I had a plate of braised turkey neck pieces, boiled turkey liver, gizzard and heart. I'm the only one in the house who has EVER liked these parts of the turkey. I was in turkey yummy heaven. Had a soda to drink and a Christmas cookie for dessert.

Lol... one year my dad dared me to eat the turkey heart after my mom made stock from all the parts. I did of course... not bad. It is, after all, muscle which is what meat is. A little tough but I did it. :-p

Braised?! I used to eat chicken necks and the heart (never much cared for the other parts) just boiled! I kind of wonder if I still would today. You hardly ever get the giblets anymore with poultry, or they are sold in other packaging.

Pacanis, I braise 2-pound packages of turkey necks to make stock for my turkey gravy at Thanksgiving and Christmas. The bonus (for me, at least) is that "someone" has to eat the neck pieces.:rolleyes:

I ate pickled turkey gizzards at a bar before. Kind of a dare.
Nuff said :wacko:

Yep. That's what my mother and her mother always did, too. We would sit down to dinner and they would have the giblets setting on their plates (in their respective homes of course). I only ever got to sample the chicken parts. My sister never liked them, but she'd become a vegetarian if she had any gumption (lol). My mother and grandmother made the best gravy around.
Good cooking is truly becoming a lost art. I sure hope you have someone to pass these methods onto.

My mother and grandmother made the best gravy around.
Good cooking is truly becoming a lost art. I sure hope you have someone to pass these methods onto.

Interesting you should say that. Our (only) daughter and I had a wonderful tutoring session on the phone Christmas morning. It was all about gravy. She's sooooo Suzy Homemaker and a wonderful cook, but lacking in experience because of her age.

We had a delightful conversation and I could tell she "got it" when I was giving her instructions.

My only regret is that we live in western Kentucky and she lives in Los Angeles. Not exactly the easiest way to teach cooking. She's a good student...even over the phone. However, she did soak up a lot when she was at home.

do leftover Christmas tamales count? I think that we've started a tradition with my daughter in law's side of the family---my DH went to a local tamale factory and bought 8 dozen (pork, chicken, jalpeno) kinds of tamales and we took them over for Christmas Eve.......we then top them with chile, sour cream, cheese, salsa, etc.......now we're finishing them up....not too many left unfortunately.........definitely a south Texas tradition!!

Back
Top Bottom