"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-18-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
Master Chef

What do you feed your kittens?

My vet recommended Science Diet and Iams but the food seems to make the kittens stools too soft and very runny. I had hubby take samples down to the vet. He called them and they cannot find the test results.
I plan a vet visit on Monday . Meanwhile I researched about runny stools and I found that I could give the kittens boiled chicken and rice. I gave them some tonight, so I will see what happens tomorrow.
I plan to get some quality kitten food so wanted to know what you give your kitties.

LadyCook

Old 05-18-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Our kittens start out pretty feral, but become "people" kitties pretty soon. I'm referring to our outside kitties. Haven't had any inside kittens in years.

However, having said the above, once the kitties are at the age to eat solid food they are introduced to what their mommy eats, along with a dish of milk.

I feed out outside kitties twice a day. In the morning, they get a good dose of dry food and about 1/2 cup of warmed milk.

At suppertime, they get some dry food mixed with some chopped bread, meat juices and chopped meat from our scraps and more milk.

At bedtime, they get another dose of milk.

Yep, they're spoiled. Never had any stool problems and their coats are awesomely shiny and silky.

Now, just to put folks at rest about the milk thing. I mix up dry milk with water.

As for the "meat juices" part of their meal, I save all the cuttings from chicken, beef, pork, etc. and put them into a pot with some water and simmer it to make a "soup" of sorts. This is what is spooned over their evening meal. It's a way to use up our meat waste without throwing it out.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
Head Chef

I feed mine Iams. When they were small and just being weaned, I would get cat milk from PetSmart and mix a little in with the canned Iams. It may just be a matter of getting them accustomed to a regular diet. I've noticed if I change my cats food, they have runny stools.

When they got old enough to be able to eat dry cat food, that is all that I feed them now. Dry Iams. They all have soft, beautiful coats and no health problems.

Here's our youngest, Iddy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iddy.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	4131  
Old 05-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
My vet recommended Science Diet and Iams but the food seems to make the kittens stools too soft and very runny. I had hubby take samples down to the vet. He called them and they cannot find the test results.
I plan a vet visit on Monday . Meanwhile I researched about runny stools and I found that I could give the kittens boiled chicken and rice. I gave them some tonight, so I will see what happens tomorrow.
I plan to get some quality kitten food so wanted to know what you give your kitties.

LadyCook
i fed my kahula cat science diet his whole life. started thomas on it. the price has gone up so much and a special trip to pet store is a pain.

now i feed thomas purania one, the chicken and rice one. he is doing fine on it . baby kittens are subject to loose stools for many reasons.

babe
Old 05-19-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
Master Chef

we fed charlotte & tig friskies or whiskas & snacks of people food, like chips, meat milk & ice cream, & stuff like that.they're healthy with shiny fur. they snubbed science diet.
one of my cats would only eat mashed potatoes as a kitten.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I have had all maner and sort of dog and cat critters. Pretty much, the universal answer to digestive problems, loose stool, diaharea and what have you has always been chicken and rice. The only alternative I could suggest is lamb and rice, lamb digests easier.

The rice stops the runs or solidifies things. Both have good protien.

It has never failed me.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Our babies ate a mix of Iams and Pro Plan dry kitten food and now they are eating the same mixture in adult cat food. They just turned a year old. I had to stop the kitten food at six months, because the male was getting too fat on it. The female actually is a bigger eater, but is far more active.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i fed my kahula cat science diet his whole life. started thomas on it. the price has gone up so much and a special trip to pet store is a pain.

now i feed thomas purania one, the chicken and rice one. he is doing fine on it . baby kittens are subject to loose stools for many reasons.

babe
thomas is a very strange cat but then aren't they all. he never eats any meat or fish or chicken i offer to him.

he will however eat water melon, honey dew, mango,cantalope. and bananas. he can always know when i am preparing any of the above and he comes running. odd huh !

babe
course years ago i had a tom that loved ripe olives. lol