"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: What Do You Think of Thanksgiving?
LOVE IT!! Best Holiday EVER! :) 7 22.58%
I enjoy it. Its a nice time just to see my family/friends. 19 61.29%
Where I go... the food is good, but I rather eat alone. 1 3.23%
Where I go... the food isnt great, but I love the people! 0 0%
This holiday is a hassle. I just want to stay home and relax. 4 12.90%
People come to MY house. I cook and they better like it! :) 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2006, 01:37 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Even though it is not in my custom, I think it is one way to bring the American family closer besides having the opportunity to eat turkey once a year. It is like the traditional Chinese Reunion Dinner held on the eve of Chinese New Year.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:46 PM   #12
DC Grandma

I will be at my son Johns home along with my other son Kevin. It will be so different without Paul this year. It will also be our 52 nd. Wedding Anniversary.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:33 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Dove, I feel for you and the first celebration without Paul. I remember the first Thanksgiving without my dad. We decided to have it at the farm instead of at my mom's because none of us could stand the thoughts of being at her house celebrating a holiday without him. He was always the most generous of people and enjoyed every celebration. We won't be at the farm for Thanksgiving, but will celebrate here with our dd, sil, gd, gs and go to the farm the day after to prepare for my mom's 89th birthday party. She is very excited.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:50 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove
I will be at my son Johns home along with my other son Kevin. It will be so different without Paul this year. It will also be our 52 nd. Wedding Anniversary.
God love you Marge. I will be thinking of you. I will say a special prayer for you on Thanksgiving day. Please stay strong, Paul would want you too.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
For Me... Thanksgivins is so - so. My extended family drives me nuts.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:30 PM   #16
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
I have two Thanksgiving stories.

The first takes place around 1976. My mom hates to cook and she kept seeing these ads on television for "Let Kroger Cook It For You!" So she caved, called up and ordered a turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, a pumpkin pie. We went to pick it up. My brother helped us put in in the trunk of the car but he said, "Hmmm, this feels awfully cold."

Turned out everything was frozen solid. The turkey was not only frozen, it was not cooked. The mashed potatoes were in a bucket, cooked but frozen. Ditto the dressing and ditto the pumpkin pie. Um, HELLO? The ads led everyone to believe the meal would be hot, cooked and ready to go. Apparently they just stuck it in a box. We had steak and baked potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner that year.

Meanwhile back at the ranch... it was around 1988 and my brother and I were roommates. My brother decided it would be a good idea to smoke the Thanksgiving turkey. Happened to be the coldest November in Memphis on record. My brother had decided to go out the night before and have a little bit to drink. He came home around 3AM. Dragged himself out of bed around 6AM to put the bird on the smoker. Heh. It was sooooooo cold outside he couldn't keep the smoker going. By the time the bird was done, lets just say it's a good thing we weren't expecting company! And after all that, the turkey didn't taste very good.

Fraidy
Old 11-11-2006, 09:18 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
I LOVE Thanksgiving! ............ I could live on dressing, mashed potatoes, and gravy!

Barbara
Me, too. I really don't care all that much for turkey. But give me a plateful of mashed potatoes, stuffing, and gravy. That is just the closet thing to Heaven!! Pumpkin pie is not a favorite either. But this year I have to save room for dessert because I am ordering a chocolate cream pie from the local bakery. Mom and I are making the other desserts from scratch, but I could not resist that chocolate pie.

What I really like is the leftovers. For some reason everything tastes better the next day. Turkey sandwiches for lunch are the best.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Thanksgiving used to be a huge event for my family. I live 7 hours away from my family and used to travel there every year. Since my parents have both passed within the past four years, things have changed.

This year it will be just the two of us (like Barbara and James), but we also make the full big meal, and I faithfully watch the Macy's Parade! My extended family and I always call each other to tell what we ate, how the day was, etc. My husband is British, and his family really doesnt do anything for Thanksgiving, but we always talk to them on Christmas!
Old 11-12-2006, 12:01 AM   #19
DC Grandma

You guys are the best..thanks for your thoughts and Prayer.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:19 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Dove,I know this day will not be easy for you or your family - I will be thinking of you.

Thanksgiving is always a celebration in my family. I usually have this holiday (I ususally have all holidays, come to think of it) - but this year we are going to my sister's house! Yahooo, I get to bring the vegetable casserole and be done! I actually enjoy cooking Thanksgiving dinner - to me, it is once of the easiest to prepare. My family tends to be very particular about the traditional food - mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, turkey, cranberry sauce, vegetable casserole, bread, pumpkin pie, that is it! I have often tried "new things" - daddy likes everything I make, maybe my DH and brother in law might like it, but that is it.