"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #141
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
You go girl. Now you can have some fun!!

Those who don't enjoy different types of needlework/sewing don't understand how much fun it is when a new (or old) project is in the wings. It truly can be an addiction.

........aaaaahhhhh, get me away from the fabric store sales

And, let's not even speak of the 99-cent pattern sales at Hobby Lobby.....................
Fabric store sales - I had an aunt who had piles and piles of fabric that she had bought on sale. She didn't sew or quilt or do anything else with the fabric.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:58 PM   #142
Head Chef

Okay folks so here is a challenge for you. I am looking for a new hobby but there are a lot of restrictions. First, it has to be very cheap. Second I have to be able to do it with arthritis. Second it has to be beautiful, nothing really tacky. What are your ideas?

Old 03-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #143
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk
Okay folks so here is a challenge for you. I am looking for a new hobby but there are a lot of restrictions. First, it has to be very cheap. Second I have to be able to do it with arthritis. Second it has to be beautiful, nothing really tacky. What are your ideas?
What about machine quilting? It really can be lovely and you can start by using scrap fabric that you might have on hand or old clothing or fabric or clothing from garage sales, flea markets etc. My Sil makes beautiful wall hangings, table runners, place mats, lap quilts and full size quilts.

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking
Old 03-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #144
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Two things come to mind:

Making pictures and greeting cards decorated with dried flowers. My Scottish ex MIL called them pliques. I pick wild flowers and garden flowers and leaves and dry them in a phone book.

Seminole patchwork is all done with a sewing machine, using really tiny stitching. Strips of fabric are sewn together and then the resulting piece is cut across the strips. Those strips are then sewn together, offset. It makes some lovely patterns.

Here's some examples:

Old 03-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #145
Cupcake

Quote:
I've always wanted to try it, but never have: How about paper-making? You can make anything you need for pennies from a hardware store and slowly grow into "more professional" equipment if it is something you enjoy. It's only limited by your imagination in what you put in your paper. Natural/un-natural dyes, seeds, dried flowers, pretty threads, etc. You can buy supplies or find them in your garden, home, etc. There are tons of free instructional pages online to help you. You can use your paper for cards, stationary, scent it for drawer liners. Most importantly, you can share how it works and I can live vicariously through you!

Here is a cool tutorial on simple paper-making!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:17 AM   #146
Head Chef

Oh, that is a great idea. When I have a minute I'm going to look it up. Any more ideas?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:46 PM   #147
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
You go girl. Now you can have some fun!!

Those who don't enjoy different types of needlework/sewing don't understand how much fun it is when a new (or old) project is in the wings. It truly can be an addiction.

........aaaaahhhhh, get me away from the fabric store sales

And, let's not even speak of the 99-cent pattern sales at Hobby Lobby.....................

joanns is having a 99 cent pattern sale starting on the 31st. i plan on being there. patterns are so expensive. in the new flyer from there they show the cutest little calico dresses with pinafores over them. also pattern for hat and bloomers. fell in love so will do for easter for two of great granddaughters. sisters. will finish my pillow cover and a pan for cats, this next week . so will have a solid run at them. easter is late this year so that will help.

i have two more, but their parents never bring them to see me, so will not make for them. figure if i do all that work should at least see them in them. is that petty? had easter baskets for them last year and called parents, never showed up or called. so i don't want to be twice burned.

guess i am not happy without a project in the wings.

pulled a sheet of instructions to make a fancy egg out of the plastic ones. looks interesting.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #148
Cupcake

Quote:
Oh, that is a great idea. When I have a minute I'm going to look it up. Any more ideas?
Perhaps look into how to make homemade spa-type products such as sugar scrubs and balms. There are many many how-to sites online. You can use expensive items or look for cheaper ones....avocado oil or olive oil....both give similar results but cost much different, for example. Dollar stores sell wonderful containers. Looking for cheaper containers and nice natural/soothing/inexpensive ingredients could be part of your hobby.

Some can be beautiful too.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #149
Head Chef

Another great idea Kathleen, thanks.

Babetoo, just gave me a great idea. I don't sew any more because I rarely can find the space to spread stuff out and it always has to get put away before I am finished with the project but I am moving into a house with a huge walk up attic. I'm thinking I could keep my sewing machine set up and make a table to cut out patterns. It might get too hot up there but the windows all open so I could get a cross breeze. Maybe I can start sewing again. Worth looking into.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #150
Cupcake

Quote:
Another great idea Kathleen, thanks.

Babetoo, just gave me a great idea. I don't sew any more because I rarely can find the space to spread stuff out and it always has to get put away before I am finished with the project but I am moving into a house with a huge walk up attic. I'm thinking I could keep my sewing machine set up and make a table to cut out patterns. It might get too hot up there but the windows all open so I could get a cross breeze. Maybe I can start sewing again. Worth looking into.
I have found that Babetoo has awesome ideas! Good plan!