"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-17-2011, 01:30 AM   #261
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Today was Walmart shopping, day after payday.

All the bills are paid for the next month.

I bought two different quilted pattern pillow shams, and went ahead and bought the quilt I liked. I had to get full/queen size because thatís what they had. It looks good on the bed with the excess fabric tucked under the opposite side of the bed.

The other sham, that I got for the new sewing machine cover, is a different quilt pattern. The colors mix well with the present color scheme, and has added the next dimension.

It coordinates well with some colors I already have, and brings them out.

Itís like a color wheel turning, adding a little light orange, a promise of fall.

The bouquet of fake flowers is back in the living room, adding itís orangey red yellows to the mix.

Iím having so much fun!
Last time I tried to color coordinate, I ended up painting a small wall navy blue...now I have a navy blue wall...at least it's only 2 1/2 feet wide and the gold picture frames look good on it.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #262
Chef Extraordinaire

i can't believe how much trouble i am having sewing this little dress. sewed one thing wrong twice today. then my machine messed up while i was sewing gathering stitches. rip em out twice. i am beginning to think it is a jinx. put it away for the day, early. afraid i would just mess up again. but i am a stubborn old lady, so will go at it again tomorrow. just wish i could stop sewing it in my head when i am trying to go to sleep. lol

Old 06-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #263
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I finally got my sewing machine covered with the old one I had sewn a pillow into. It already had two corners sewn across at the top, so I just took the pillow out and sewed the remaining matching sham up the sides to fit the pillow.

The new pillow sham was way too big for the sewing machine anyway, and it looks really nice on the top of my butcher block topped cabinet/desk where the colors bring out the colors in other things I already had like the orangy skein of yarn in my yarn basket, and my coffee cup.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #264
Chef Extraordinaire

i finally got the problem in my dress making for aubrey. the pattern does not show details of the version i am making. it just dawned on me how to make it work. so tomorrow i can finish the bodice. then just the tiered skirt, a piece of cake. i am so glad, was beginning to be worried about my skill. yeah!!!
Old 06-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #265
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have a set of paisley sheets, kind of a rust and golden on a cream colored background. I'm using them to cover my recliner. The fit is good, I just have to tweak it. The colors match colors on the new pillow sham. It's a quilt print with one large center sunburst. The colors are kind of Tuscan, beige, rust, gold and cream with just a touch of blue green. The rust color is like a tile roof. I'm going to use it as a cover for the square ottoman, so it will be next to the color coordinated sheets covering the recliner. Not sewing, but crafty nevertheless.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #266
Chef Extraordinaire

finished one t-shirt for Olivia and am working on another and I'm also putting jewels on ball caps of me amd Olivia. Fun
kades
Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #267
Chef Extraordinaire

the dresses are done. and i am tired, but they are very cute. when my granddaughter comes to pick them up,will see if she can post em for me. no sewing for at least a week or maybe two. need to get house back in order. then aubrey , the five year old, wants a ariel wedding dress. she is so fun to sew for.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #268
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sounds like a plan. Hope you get to post pix too.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:32 AM   #269
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo
sounds like fun!! i had a lousy day. had to make ties for the dress, twice. followed the pattern and there was no way it was going to turn while that narrow. so cut two more twice as wide. worked well, but a lot of time wasted. maybe tomorrow will go well.
I know you already figured out a way to handle this dilemma, but I thought I would share how I turn very narrow straps and ties. I use a very long crochet hook, it looks like a a long knitting needle, but is actually hooked on one end. It's between 1/4 and 1/2 inch in diameter. Works great! The hook really helps. Hope the next project goes smoothly!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:53 AM   #270
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Ah, the old afghan hook trick. Good idea.

I often attach a safety pin and just thread it back through.