What is the order of "courses" in a meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomchef

Assistant Cook
hey im looking to find out the classical order of courses in a meal. not just appitozers and soup, i was wondering if any one had the full list, including egg ,fruit and vegetable dishes. pleeeease!:(

According to Victorian tradition, circa 1890s

Soup
Fish
Meat
Game
Salad
Cheese
Dessert
Coffee & Tea
Port/Brandy

While I don't often serve this many courses, I do adhere to the order.

Cool, i have a dinner party this weekend (for which i just can't decide on what to cook - STILL) i will follow that list just because i can LOL or maybe i can just

*skip to the port tradition* :D

That's interesting VeraBlue.....
While restaurants have always served the salad first (in the USA anyway), I have always preferred to eat it after the main course and always saved it for last when at family dinners or making one for myself with dinner.
I guess I'm more Victorian than I ever realized :rolleyes:

some variations:

Italian: pasta comes before meat, and for example, pasta dressed in the sauce, separate from the meatballs served later.

Salad may well come near the end of the meal as a digestif, or a dish of "bitter" greens with wine vinegar.

Actually I like to eat my salad with the main course - what i noticed people will get so full if u bring anythign out after mains they will be like..."and where is that supposed to fit exactly?"
pasta has to come before meat!! altho my bf like to munch on the meatballs while eating the spaghetti, if i don't bring them out he's like "where are they"!?!?!?!? LOL

Full course meal

per Wikipedia:
  1. Palate cleanser, or amuse
  2. Second amuse
  3. Caviar
  4. Cold appetizer
  5. Thick soup
  6. Thin soup
  7. Shellfish
  8. Antipasto
  9. Pasta
  10. Intermezzo (Sorbet)
  11. Quail
  12. Wild mushrooms
  13. Beef
  14. Green salad
  15. Pudding
  16. Ice cream
  17. Puffed pastry filled with herbed mousse
  18. Cheese
  19. Fruit
  20. Coffee
  21. Petit four

Now I know how to expain to my DW the reason I drink a little bourbon or ice cold Grey Goose before dinner....It's a Palate Cleanser dear!:whistling

Thanks for posting Jet. Thats interesting!!

Thing is, it varies with different cultures. You get served your miso soup at the end of a Japanese meal (over here at least), and like Rom said, in Australia, salad is part of the main course or as an entree.

Can't say I have ever heard of any culture serving a separate mushroom course!

Thing is, it varies with different cultures. You get served your miso soup at the end of a Japanese meal (over here at least), and like Rom said, in Australia, salad is part of the main course or as an entree.

Can't say I have ever heard of any culture serving a separate mushroom course!

Same goes for the 'ice cream' course or the 'puff pastry and mousse' course. For apparent reasons, I take wikipedia with a grain of proverbial salt.

At the end of the day, while there may be traditional orders to follow, it's your meal, eat it how you like.

Same goes for the 'ice cream' course or the 'puff pastry and mousse' course. For apparent reasons, I take wikipedia with a grain of proverbial salt.

At the end of the day, while there may be traditional orders to follow, it's your meal, eat it how you like.
So true Vera. So true.

Traditional Bengali full course meal:

Steaming Plain rice
I spoonful ghee(clarified butter)
Sukto (bitter dish)
Dal
fried potato
fried brinjal
Torkari (vegetable dish)
Egg curry
Machher jhal(fish with mustard paste)
Machher chochchori(prepared with small fish like 'mourala'- Amblypharyngodon mola)
Machher jhol(fish curry- prepared with large Rohu fish)
Mutton kassa
Chutney
Papad
Misti doi(sweet yogurt)
Sweets(sandesh, rasgulla)
Paan(Betel Leaf) with paan masala

This is not our everyday meal because nowadays one cannot eat so many items .

Last edited:
In diferent parts of Europe whether the puddings are before or after cheese is different. We alternate depending on the menu and who we have eating wih us. I'm generally a pudding after cheese kinda gal. Most often, in semi-formal meals I bring puddings and cheese out together: increasingly people will have more than one pudding, and then people go home earlier.....that never used to be a good thing but these days I like bed....

Interesting, I'd never guess that soup is served before fish. I should look into this from the Russian historical view. I bet it would be very diferent.

What makes up a five-course meal in the USA?

I can come up with soup, salad, appetizer, entree and dessert, but that does not sound right.

While not carved in stone, in the USA it would be
soup
salad
meat
cheese
dessert

or
soup
salad
pasta
meat
dessert

or

soup or salad
pasta
fish
meat
dessert

The recent trend towards artisan cheeses have finally brought about a resurgence of the cheese course. It's about time, I say.

I recently hosted a formal dinner party that included a cheese course after three previous courses and prior to the dessert course. I feared the cheese would remain mostly untouched as a result of the guests having consumed so much, already. To my great pleasure, that course was so well received it was the highlight of the thank you notes. It was a new experience to several of the guests. Again, it's about time the cheese course was put back in the line up.

Cheese has never gone out of fashion here in Europe!

I prefer cheese before the pudding, VB not least for wine pairing ease...and of course, in the necessity of cracking down on drunk driving we find hosting less than half our guests join us in a dessert wine and coffee is popular boh for people to take with dessert or for those who take neither pudding nor cheese.

Most restaurants here offer either a cheese or dessert course but if they are both being served, esp in the home, it would be cheese after dessert, often with teas and coffees and chocs. The cheese is routinely served with fresh or dried fruit, though it always puzzles me when restaurants here use only dried fruit. We have such an abundance of fresh produce available year round, and while having dried fruit on the plate is nice, it shouldn't be the only option here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom