"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #21
Master Chef

I don't follow a color theme much but I do like to make my Nativity the centerpiece on the mantle and the tree has a preponderance of angels and sentimental ornaments. My grandfather made some lovely wooden ornaments and my grandma painted and decorated them plus ones the kids made over the years.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #22
Master Chef

silver/red bulbs, clear baby lights, also around my ceiling.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

I thought Christmas already came with a color theme - red and green!
Old 11-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #24
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
I don't put up Christmas decorations before remembrance day, it is considered rude. It takes away from their day. I know many soldiers and am related to many, Nick is also one.
Saphellae, my DH puts lights up November 1 (or thereabouts) every year. We don't put up decorations, per say, but lights galore, inside and out. I never thought of it as rude. My Dad is a veteran of WWII and he always gets a chuckle about our lit up house. Don't think he has ever made a connection with Remembrance Day, which I respectfully acknowledge every year.

I apologize if it offends you.

Oh, our tree (which goes up 1st of December) is always just mostly white lights and simple gold ribbon and balls with some favourite decorations thrown on (but most of them are subtle colours. The rest of our house is just lights of every colour in every room! Hydro loves us for two months of the year!

The reason for the flood of light so early? DH is convinced it helps with "seasonal" depression! I just think it looks great.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I thought Christmas already came with a color theme - red and green!
Touche!!

Ok, what do you decorate with then? lol
Old 11-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #26
Head Chef

I decorate in Early American Yard Sale.....only kidding but all of my decorations are handed down to me and are all from my childhood which makes them antique. The ornaments for the tree are my mother's, grandmothers' and a few from my great grandmother. I just love having them and reliving every time I pull them out. I also inherited my mother's collection of Buyer's Carolers.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to GrantsKat
The first time my Dad came to visit me here in Florida, he brought ALL the christmas decorations that my Mom had used since I was little! At first I was suprised & asked why he didnt want to use them....of course I knew by the tears in his eyes how dumb I was to ask....since she had passed he didnt want to decorate anymoreit was just too painful for him.
So I decorate my house and tree with many ornaments & decorations that my Mom collected over the years. Some of them are older than me, some of them she made, & some of them her & I made together.
Now that my Dad is also gone, christmas & decorating are even more difficult because everything I decorate with brings back so many memories.
I think right now I do it solely for my boys....ugh Im crying like a big, silly baby! Time to go.........

Babymaker
GrantsKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantsKat View Post
The first time my Dad came to visit me here in Florida, he brought ALL the christmas decorations that my Mom had used since I was little! At first I was suprised & asked why he didnt want to use them....of course I knew by the tears in his eyes how dumb I was to ask....since she had passed he didnt want to decorate anymoreit was just too painful for him.
So I decorate my house and tree with many ornaments & decorations that my Mom collected over the years. Some of them are older than me, some of them she made, & some of them her & I made together.
Now that my Dad is also gone, christmas & decorating are even more difficult because everything I decorate with brings back so many memories.
I think right now I do it solely for my boys....ugh Im crying like a big, silly baby! Time to go.........
What an awesome gift your dad gave you!
Cherish them and love them. Don't let the fact that they are gone, bring you down, sweethear. Look at them and smile at all the times you woke to see them with Santas gifts under them. The memories of your mom so lovingly decorating with them. It's hard, I know, that is why this year, I have decided to love it instead of letting it get me down. It's a magical time of year. Let the magic take over and let those memories flow and tell them you love them, out loud and know that they are both looking down and loving that you are carrying on for them.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Kat,
you have the perfect opportunity now to capture some memories for your boys. Share your good times with them. Sit them down with some hot chocolate and cookies and tell them several stories of way back when..Do this with them through this special season, take out pictures of grandpa and grandma, let them imagine how it was then for you, that magic little children can invision...This can make the holidays magic for them and for you, it will warm your heart with yesterday's
kades
Old 11-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Well Kathe you're not crying alone!!!

Alot of our stuff was DH's grandmas'. His Mom also gets us a new something or other every year.....
The kids each get to pick out an ornament at the store every year, sometimes we make some.
I learned to crochet thread snowflakes last year.... I gave them all away but I've got myself a little blizzard tucked away, hopefully I'll have a couple for me this time.
:)
Pretty much anything goes, so long as its CUTE!