What is your favourite thing to do...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sounds like we all love a good coffee!!!

Really this is fascinating to me - I am a Gemini so I invariably love to chat and to be able to speak to other people from all over the globe and even on the other side of my country and hear what you all love to do is great.

My husband and I can't have children so we fill our time up with lots of things we love to do. We have foxtel (australia's answer to cable) so I get to see some of the shows from the US, Canada and Britain, especially the food networks. I also love to read - period pieces mainly (love, love Jane Austen) and also love to sit and watch what my husband calls "soppy movies" even if I have seen them a thousand times.

We have loads of beach coastline and if it is a hot summer night, it is lovely to go and sit at King Edward Park and watch the sun go down on the stretches of sand that go for miles.

For me, the best part of my week is when I finish reading to a blind friend and her house-bound (RH) roomie, then have a lovely walk down the hill to a favorite watering spot. There I have some wine (or if I'm in a drying-out phase, maybe a tall glass of water), and wait to see who will show up. Sometimes it will just be DH and a friend or two, then other times it will be a dozen or two. I love to read, so that is the first part; I love to walk, and it is a beautiful walk (even now when I froze my patootie off); I love some wine; and I love having so many great friends. So my favorite thing is my Friday routine.

I love watching a good game of soccer with my favorite team. That's life:cool:

Cuddling with the DW under a blanket watching a movie. :angel:
Reading scifi/fantasy.
Watching scifi/fantasy.
Play computer games and x-box with my kids.
Buying broken computers and fixing them (I find it relaxing).
Programing useful utilities for our use (like rewards systems for the kids, allowance tracking for the kids to help them determine how much they should spend and how much to save, recipe databases to make it easier to find, plan, and shop for meals, things like that).
In the summer camping, fishing, hunting, boating.

Last edited:
First favorite thing to do is cuddling with my cats. Next favorite is photography. I have bird feeders easily seen thru the windows. My cats are indoors cats so they don't attack the birds.

Working alone in my Lab.

sitting in my potting shed with my friend, drinking beer and talking about Chicks and Quantum mechanics.

Teaching my Daughter Science and other new things like herbs and spices, or Planets or dinosaurs or growing things.

Sleeping`s pretty good too when it doesn`t cause pain.

I could seriously make a list that would own this DC database of things I love doing, and each one is my Favorite when I`m doing it :)

I like fishing... I fish around 100 days a year when we have water in our near-Atlanta lakes...

Two of my favorite things are trying to think of new and better ways to function in a 'green' manner.

And Cooking!

A couple others is helping a stray animal find it's home or providing a home for them.

Relaxing in front of my fish tanks.

Meditating on the Bible.

it depends on the season, so since it's winter, my favourite things to do would be skiing and solo backpacking.

skiing is a heart pounding, thrill a second rush as you try to find a line down the mountain that allows you to fly. not much of an explanation needed there.

being alone in a frozen, snow covered forest for a few days and nights is an amazing thing. once you got the basics for survival set up(shelter, fire, water, food), you get to see a side of nature that few get to experience. going solo means you're that much closer to disaster, but you also can blend in and see what things are like when no one's around. the white snow is like the canvas upon which the world is painted.
the few animals around leave tracks that can be followed (don't follow the bigger ones with claws, lol), so you can often see them doing their own wintery things.

Apart from obviously cooking, what is one or two of your favourite things to do....

Great question, Cath... so hard to narrow it down to one or two.

The great outdoors... Love the beach - watching the sun rise (or set) over the ocean. Digging my toes in the sand, and having the waves wash over me. Sitting by a waterfall w a picnic lunch & a libation w a so. One of my fave places is called coffee camp (a campsite) - when the snow melts & rushes down the mountains into several pools of water - walking from pool to pool & laying out on the flat boulders overlooking the rushing water while the warm sun washes over me. Yosemite was one of my fave outdoor spots. Hiking through trails there & the Santa Monica mountains.

Dancing, the nightlife, watching fireworks, my work, watching old movies. Indoors, creating something from nothing - cooking, (watching a souffle rise), sewing, fashion design, needlework, decorating - anything creative - gives me a sense of pride, accomplishment & giving the finished project/labor of love to my friends.

Last edited:
well expect a corn pone answer from me.
giving praise and being thankful for blessings/miracles/treaures.
waking up with all my faculties, everything in working order.
thinking of my husband all day every day.
smelling my children heads and grands.
cooking/baking/kitchening.
going into markets all around the world, food/grocers that is.
eating chocolate, smelling horses.
praying for friends/family I love.

I absolutely LOVE the beach! Not just fond of it, I LOVE it! I am never as happy, relaxed, content, peaceful as I am when sitting on the beach. Doesn't matter if the water is too cold or too wild to go swimming, I'm happy soaking up the sea air, the gulls, the waves, the BEACHINESS of it all. I would rather it be a very sparsely populated beach, with no kids or cell phones, so I can enjoy the sound of the surf, but if not, then I wear earplugs.

My second favorite thing to do is hunt for mushrooms in the woods. Taught by my Polish relatives, I pick only 5 kinds that I'm sure of. It's a treasure hunt every day I go!

Lee

it depends on the season, so since it's winter, my favourite things to do would be skiing and solo backpacking.

skiing is a heart pounding, thrill a second rush as you try to find a line down the mountain that allows you to fly. not much of an explanation needed there.

being alone in a frozen, snow covered forest for a few days and nights is an amazing thing. once you got the basics for survival set up(shelter, fire, water, food), you get to see a side of nature that few get to experience. going solo means you're that much closer to disaster, but you also can blend in and see what things are like when no one's around. the white snow is like the canvas upon which the world is painted.
the few animals around leave tracks that can be followed (don't follow the bigger ones with claws, lol), so you can often see them doing their own wintery things.

Just ALWAYS, leave a map with you DW to show where you will be and NEVER stray from your plans!!

I absolutely LOVE the beach! Not just fond of it, I LOVE it! I am never as happy, relaxed, content, peaceful as I am when sitting on the beach. Doesn't matter if the water is too cold or too wild to go swimming, I'm happy soaking up the sea air, the gulls, the waves, the BEACHINESS of it all. I would rather it be a very sparsely populated beach, with no kids or cell phones, so I can enjoy the sound of the surf, but if not, then I wear earplugs.
Lee
We must be related because I can't think of anyplace I'd rather be than laying on the beach. In fact, I've been annoyed that we've had warm enough weather recently that I could have been on the beach if I hadn't gotten the flu.:mad:

Not sure I can narrow it down to just 2 since there are several favorite things other than cooking.

Being with the family and doing things with them is first and foremost
Sewing (includes quilting and embroidery)
Watching movies (especially in HD)
Gardening
Plotting on what to buy next

For the first time in 27 years, IT AIN"T SMOKING!!
I like knitting now. LOL But, it takes a lot of patience, so, I'm just now on my second panel for a throw. LOL!!

We live about 20 mins from the Hunter Valley vineyards and I love to take a drive up there, visit the chocolate and cheese shops and try wines with my husband.

Wine tasting in the Hunter Valley is a wonderful way to pass a day or two... done it many times. I lived in the area for several years (Warners Bay, Toronto, New Lambton, and Thornton) and always enjoyed a trip to the vineyards.

I now love to ski, but I don't think I'm quite the thrill-seeker as Bucky. I just love being in the Alpine environment... sure... I get a few thrills but am just as happy just going slow and enjoying the crisp mountain air. I stop frequently to take pictures. I just got back from a week in Whitefish, Montana with the Ski Club and had an awesome time. I was able to incorporate several of my 'favourite things to do'.
1. Spending time with my lady
2. Enjoying nature
3. Skiing
4. Photography

Here are some "Snow Ghosts" on The Big Mountain at Whitefish (click thumbnail for larger image):

Attachments

• 2008.01.26 Montana Big Mountain Scene3 Snow Ghosts.JPG
    2008.01.26 Montana Big Mountain Scene3 Snow Ghosts.JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 164
Back
Top Bottom