"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #10821
Chef Extraordinaire

We haven't climbed out of the 60's. Sweater wearing days. I still have my windows wide open. I bundle up rather than close them. To do that is to admit that summer is over. I didn't even spend one day down on the patio this year. Most of the days were too hot. Now it is too cool. I just can't seem to win this year.

Our worry here is the Eastern Equine Encephalitis. Even though it is cool, a lot of the towns are spraying at night. Those towns have suspended all night time activities for the kids and some adult ones like a concert in the evening.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #10822
Proud American

The temperature was not very hot here today. I do not like the hot weather and the bugs that bite me. I have the tiny vegetable garden here and a bee stung me last week as I was attending the garden.

Addie, is the Eastern Equine Encephalitis the type of the horse disease of the brain? Are they spraying the pesticides? Please be careful of the sprays. Can you wear the protection of the mask if you must go outside during the night?
~Cat

Old 08-29-2013, 04:46 AM   #10823
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catina View Post
The temperature was not very hot here today. I do not like the hot weather and the bugs that bite me. I have the tiny vegetable garden here and a bee stung me last week as I was attending the garden.

Addie, is the Eastern Equine Encephalitis the type of the horse disease of the brain? Are they spraying the pesticides? Please be careful of the sprays. Can you wear the protection of the mask if you must go outside during the night?
~Cat
Yes it is. It is carried by the mosquito. Towns that have stagnant ponds are the towns that have the problem. Starting in late spring, our State Public Health Department start catching mosquitos and testing them. When they find a large amount of the critters carrying the disease, then the town will most likely be spraying. I live in the city, and none have been found here. Most folks stay inside at night in the affected towns as they know that is when the mosquitos are at their worst and come out to play.

The next time you should get stung by a bee or hornet, make a paste of MSG, (meat tenderizer) and apply to the sting. It will stop the pain and make it easier to get the stinger out. Accent and Adolph's are well known brands and should be on your store shelf.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #10824
Chef Extraordinaire

It was a nice 75F on my way to work at 7 am today, but the high reached 95F again today, to warm for comfort. Hoping it cools down for Labor day weekend this weekend!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #10825
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

HOT. And dark. Took Beagle for a walk when it got down to 85F, I was still sweating my rear off. No rain in sight.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #10826
Chef Extraordinaire

Does it help any of you if you know that we have been in the 60's for the past few days? I hope that news helps and makes you feel cooler. I know I am feeling the chill. I have had my shawl on all day.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #10827
Master Chef

Looks like we might get some of those 60's this coming up Sunday.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:52 AM   #10828
Master Chef

Settled into the sunroom to cruise DC with a few crackers and a glass of wine. Hmm, thunder to the south of me, a bit of light flashing to the north. Looked at a radar map online and ! See that white vertical line in the bottom-right of the image? It's running down a patch of green with a whole LOT of reds and oranges to the left. Um, we live in that white line....

Gonna get nailed! And just yesterday Himself was complaining how the storms split as they got near our town, then headed north and south. Making up for it now...
Old 09-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #10829
Chef Extraordinaire

I am in SW Mn. for a long weekend. It's been much cooler today, in the mid 70's. It has cooled down tonight in the low 60's, had to wear a coat out tonight as the wind made it feel much cooler.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #10830
Master Chef

Today is the first day that has really felt like fall!

Cold, crisp and sunny!

The local apple orchards are starting to press cider!

The only thing missing is a warm cinnamon doughnut or two!