"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #11011
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Winter tires aren't just for snow and ice. They have better traction than all season tires as soon as the temperature drops to 7 C (44.6 F). According to this article: The great snow tire debate: Is changing your tires worth the time and cost?, "The tread on all-season tires starts to harden and lose its grip almost completely at zero degrees." (0 C = 32 F)

This article recommends that people in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia, known for not getting much snow, get winter tires.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #11012
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post

Nope, never drove a Subaru; never been to Russia.

I was pleasantly surprised that time slowed down. I had always wondered how anyone could be expected to remember the instructions for what to do in a skid (ease off the gas; steer gently in the direction you want to go; don't touch the brakes) while skidding. I had plenty of time to remember and follow those instructions and they worked.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #11013
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

Nope, never drove a Subaru; never been to Russia.

I was pleasantly surprised that time slowed down. I had always wondered how anyone could be expected to remember the instructions for what to do in a skid (ease off the gas; steer gently in the direction you want to go; don't touch the brakes) while skidding. I had plenty of time to remember and follow those instructions and they worked.

Odd...I skid and it is all there automatically. I never worry about having to use the skill, it's just there.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #11014
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Odd...I skid and it is all there automatically. I never worry about having to use the skill, it's just there.
Practice. I don't have to think about it now.

That incident I mentioned was my first experience with a big time fish-tailing event. If the car had fish-tailed any more than it did, I would have been spinning around. I was on a highway with freezing rain. There was no other traffic, but there was a truck in the ditch. I changed lanes, just in case I skidded, so I wouldn't end up on top of the truck. It was the salt truck. So, I was changing lanes as I hit the black ice. I stayed calm until I had the car under control. Then, when I was driving at about 10 mph, I had the panic reaction. I finally got to a rest stop. I nearly fell on my arse when I got out of the car, it was so slippery.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #11015
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

I think that may be one of those things you sort of absorb from living in an area where snow and ice are common. You probably heard people talking about it and watched them handle it when you were growing up. Here in SE VA, snow is scarce and we often see people driving as if the weather was normal - sometimes they don't even slow down.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #11016
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Practice. I don't have to think about it now.

That incident I mentioned was my first experience with a big time fish-tailing event. If the car had fish-tailed any more than it did, I would have been spinning around. I was on a highway with freezing rain. There was no other traffic, but there was a truck in the ditch. I changed lanes, just in case I skidded, so I wouldn't end up on top of the truck. It was the salt truck. So, I was changing lanes as I hit the black ice. I stayed calm until I had the car under control. Then, when I was driving at about 10 mph, I had the panic reaction. I finally got to a rest stop. I nearly fell on my arse when I got out of the car, it was so slippery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I think that may be one of those things you sort of absorb from living in an area where snow and ice are common. You probably heard people talking about it and watched them handle it when you were growing up. Here in SE VA, snow is scarce and we often see people driving as if the weather was normal - sometimes they don't even slow down.
True, I've been riding/driving in snow since I was 6 years old. The most fun I had was my High School driving instructor taking us to a vacant, paved lot and letting us make the car skid and correcting it. I was never that good at making it skid.

There was a small learning curve when I started driving an all-wheel drive, the Subaru never skids...but then we haven't had any snow to speak of, either if the past couple of years.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #11017
Chef Extraordinaire

As kids, when we were 16 and driving, we would take whoever's car we were in up to the drivers ed. course at night and have a good time after a fresh snowfall.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #11018
Executive Chef

We got about 4 inches of snow overnight. Going to change to sleet/rain for a while then back to snow again tonight.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #11019
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
We got about 4 inches of snow overnight. Going to change to sleet/rain for a while then back to snow again tonight.
ackkk
Everyone here is getting ready for the big storm that's supposed to be rolling in.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #11020
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Meanwhile, I'm all ready for a storm that is not coming...