"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-16-2013, 02:50 AM   #11261
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Oh yeah!!! Were you live is entirely relevant to how you view weather!
Born in Hamilton, ON... snow belt but not super cold.
moved to the Twin Cities... lots of snow but still not super cold.
then on to Germany and Switzerland... again, lots of snow but not super cold...
back to Toronto area, yechh.. rain and fog
Vancouver, BC.... city - mostly rain... but lots of snow outside the area.
Montreal... we had more than a month of below 40 (Celsius or Fahrenheit... same thing )... now THAT was a shocker! When it climbed up to 0 Fahrenheit... people were dancing in the street.
Was that in 1994? I remember it getting that cold for about a week. Then I went to visit family in California, just in time for the Northridge quake. I expected to get back to Montreal and normal winter temps, but it was still deep freeze (actually colder than a deep freezer) for weeks. While I was away, it had thawed for one day. That made the snow on the sidewalks start to melt, and then it froze hard and slick. It was so slippery, that teenage boys were walking like grannies.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:25 AM   #11262
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
..... back to Toronto area, yechh.. rain and fog.....
Montreal... we had more than a month of below 40 (Celsius or Fahrenheit... same thing )... now THAT was a shocker! When it climbed up to 0 Fahrenheit... people were dancing in the street.
Himself said Toronto sounds like Columbus OH. He went to college at THE Ohio State University and (for a year) road a motorcycle to school. Brrrr! And 40 below? Sounds like the weather his college friend put up with....in Alaska! Himself said his friend never wore anything warmer than a flannel shirt over his T-shirts down there!

Love your sig, but for me the go-to "condiment" is bacon. EVERYthing tastes better with bacon!

Old 12-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #11263
Chef Extraordinaire

It's still snowing. And blowing. I've got three foot drifts to deal with this morning. We need a melt.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #11264
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
It's still snowing. And blowing. I've got three foot drifts to deal with this morning. We need a melt.

~~It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, everywhere I go...
Old 12-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #11265
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

No. It is coming from the roof. The water is seeping down between the walls. There is nothing they can do until the temps go above 32F. They have needed a whole new roof and have just been patching for the past six years. There is no damage to my apartment except for the ceiling. I figure sooner or later the ceiling will come down. Nothing under where it is leaking.
If water is coming down from the roof between the walls, and has been for years, there is probably mold behind the walls and the water could cause electrical damage, and possibly a fire. I'm surprised the management of a building for poor, elderly people is allowed to get away with that.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #11266
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Doesn't sound stupid to me. It was a shocker to me my first winter in Montreal. I have pierced ears and I was in pain. I don't notice a problem from my wedding ring, but I usually wear gloves and it doesn't go through anything.

It stopped snowing around 21h. It's still -13C (9F). I just took out the garbage. I wore my leather jacket and shoes - no hat, no gloves, no boots, no scarf and it felt cold, but not horrible. (Yes, I was wearing trousers, etc. I don't want PF getting even for my smart-arse comment yesterday. )
No earrings... how indecent of you!!!
Old 12-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #11267
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Was that in 1994?
I think it was in 1966/67. Just before Expo. I was living in Park Ex and was glad there was an apartment above and one below. Helped keep it warmer! I believe the year before that we had tons of snow, I think we got about 10" every weekend during most of Jan and Feb. Streets were down to one lane, nobody could find their cars and if you did, you didn't dare take it out as the spot would not be there when you came back. City didn't even try to clear the side streets.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #11268
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's 40F...back to the sweater coat.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #11269
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
No earrings... how indecent of you!!!
They weren't her high school earrings!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #11270
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
If water is coming down from the roof between the walls, and has been for years, there is probably mold behind the walls and the water could cause electrical damage, and possibly a fire. I'm surprised the management of a building for poor, elderly people is allowed to get away with that.
This building is managed by HUD. Federal Govt. Typical management. I have one of the smaller leaks in my ceiling. The first floor gets flooded in heavy rains. There have been times when HUD has had to put a couple of residents up in a nearby motel.

I once lived in an apartment that had all the heating pipes for all three apartments running right under my floors. They were toasty warm all winter and helped keep my heating bill way down. Spent the whole winter walking barefoot.

We get the Montreal Express in the winter. And I certainly do not want to thank any of you Canadians for that. Almost as bad as a Nor'easter in the winter.

I stay inside all winter. If I have to go out, it is from the door to the car in a matter of seconds. And to think I used to go to work and wait for the bus in a short skirt and heels in this weather.