"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #12211
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
We had an avalanche in town...about an hour ago, they are still getting people out of the path, it engulfed a two story house.
Wow, I hope all those that were trapped end up OK. I figure if you live in the city you're pretty immune to these kinds of things happening but I guess not! And only two miles from your place? As the crow flies, or driving? Either way, too close for comfort for me! Guess it's time the snow should stop by you for the time being.

We'll see below zero tonight. Blech! But even though anything beyond 36 hours is pure rumor and conjecture, they say it might be 40-45 next week Saturday. Could this be the light at the end of the tunnel? Fingers crossed!

Old 03-01-2014, 01:26 AM   #12212
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
This may be a little premature, but the days are getting longer and I think a lot of us can use some cheering up, considering the winter we have been enduring.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:21 AM   #12213
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
16F, with windchill -6 and 21 mph winds with gusts to 50 mph. I got sent home as non-essential personnel. Surprised me, they could always keep me around to fill in if someone can;t get to work. As it is, where I had to park the car, I may not be able to get out. The snowdrifts are close to 5'.

I can recall when you were complaining that you didn't get any snow. Wasn't that long ago! LOL
Old 03-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #12214
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Wow, I hope all those that were trapped end up OK. I figure if you live in the city you're pretty immune to these kinds of things happening but I guess not! And only two miles from your place? As the crow flies, or driving? Either way, too close for comfort for me! Guess it's time the snow should stop by you for the time being.

It's early for me, and I thought you said "I hope al those were trapped end up." Which end up? LOL
Old 03-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #12215
Executive Chef

They have changed our forcast for the Sun/Mon. They said the storm is going further south. I'm not sure how far south they're talking about. Now they're saying 4-6 inches. I am SE of Pittsburgh. I was hoping for a foot. We haven't had a big snow for several years. But then I don't have to go anywhere, or clean the driveway for that matter.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #12216
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I can recall when you were complaining that you didn't get any snow. Wasn't that long ago! LOL
Not complaining about the snow...the wind is another matter. I will always complain about the wind. The wind conditions are what caused the closures and being sent workers home.

The avalanche within city limits, was a bit of a surprise, too. Haven't caught up with that, yet.

It's 1F with a windchill of -25F, wind at 16 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. I'm inside for the day and so is Shrek.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #12217
Head Chef

I'm glad I didn't get to read the story about the avalanche until AFTER all had been saved!
That's frightening----- in town! And just 2 miles from you!
Old 03-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #12218
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Missoula is under avalanche watch. The University's student housing and dorms are right up against Mt Sentinel, and the rest of the Rattlesnake neighborhood is up against Mt Jumbo.

Sentinel's ancient waterlines are completely obscured, that meas there's lots of snow up there. What with the snow, sleet and rain mixes we've been having, avalanches are bound to happen.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #12219
Head Chef

And on the West Coast------more slide problems (mud).

"As of Saturday at 7 a.m., 1,000 residents remained under mandatory evacuation orders in Glendora, and were prohibited from returning to their homes, officials said."

SoCal Storm Triggers Heavy Mud Flows, Tornado Warning, Car Crashes | KTLA 5

At least there is a warning before the fact!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #12220
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Ah! The snow removal had begun...poor kids! I'll be making some hot chocolate for them.

Just noticed we have a snow drift on the inside of the front window. The wind forced it around the edges of the storm windows. Time for the landlord to take a look at them.