"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-01-2014, 11:04 PM   #12231
Chef Extraordinaire

I hope you are staying safe PF! Scarey that avalanche can happen so fast with no warning. Tread lightly.....

High of 0 here today. Continuing to have snow flurries off & on all day. The wind has picked up & it's bitter cold out there tonight. Windchill is - 22. The wind feels like it cuts your face it's so cold.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:12 PM   #12232
Chef Extraordinaire

I checked the Farmer's Almanac for March and SE Ontario. We are so far off, it isn't even funny (we're supposed to be experiencing showers and above 0 C temps--NOT, and I rather doubt thunderstorms will be happening by the end of the week as forecast by the FA either.) Gotta go--time to throw yet another log on the fire. I've gone through all the wood I usually go through by the end of April...yes, it has been friggin' cold.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #12233
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I hope you are staying safe PF! Scarey that avalanche can happen so fast with no warning. Tread lightly.....

High of 0 here today. Continuing to have snow flurries off & on all day. The wind has picked up & it's bitter cold out there tonight. Windchill is - 22. The wind feels like it cuts your face it's so cold.
Thanks SB, I am quite safe. No winter hikes in the mountains.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:12 AM   #12234
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It has been snowing tiny sparkles for hours. It's very light snow. In several hours it has only accumulated (on my fence top, the only place bare of previous snow) ~3mm. That's less than 1/8".
Old 03-02-2014, 02:11 AM   #12235
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
...Just noticed we have a snow drift on the inside of the front window. The wind forced it around the edges of the storm windows....
Himself's Mom used to leave the bedroom window open all winter - about 1/2 inch. When it snowed she'd have a little drift on the windowsill. Funny thing, she made Dad sleep on the side of the bed closer to the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Missoula's Avalanche made the national news on CBS!...
The local NBC affiliate ran the full news story up here during the late news on their CW station.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:36 AM   #12236
Chef Extraordinaire

15F and a fresh 4" of the fluffy stuff. I was hoping that when Carol said it was moving south of her it would miss me entirely, but we must be having a different front up by the lake. It's doing exactly what they said it would. That 37 degrees yesterday will be missed for the next several days.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:48 AM   #12237
Executive Chef

Yes, Pac, you must be getting a different storm. Ours hasn't started yet, and from what they're saying, it's turned so far south that we might only get a couple inches. We went to the bank yesterday, and there was not 1 open parking space in Giant Eagle's parking lot It's 28 degrees right now. Perfect temp for snow.

This has been the worst year for every part of the country, it seems. Everyone is getting severe weather.

PF, my uncle fell in the snow and couldn't get up. Ended up losing 2 fingers on each hand. Don't believe it when people say drinking alcohol helps. He was tanked!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #12238
Sous Chef

Old 03-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #12239
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Himself's Mom used to leave the bedroom window open all winter - about 1/2 inch. When it snowed she'd have a little drift on the windowsill. Funny thing, she made Dad sleep on the side of the bed closer to the window.

The local NBC affiliate ran the full news story up here during the late news on their CW station.
Shrek decided to get rid of the drift and it was gone...we don't know if the cats ate it, it melted or the winds removed it.

Currently 7F with no windchill. Still under Avalanche Watch.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #12240
Executive Chef

The snow has arrived and it's piling up quickly. Glad I have no where to go.