"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #13191
Master Chef

Kayelle, you have sunshine? I expected you'd still be getting heavy rain in your area. It's still raining here, 45F, and windy. My property is already flooded and heavier thunderstorms are expected this afternoon. The air is so dense and cloudy I can't even see the Sierras out the window, but I hear there's snow.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #13192
Master Chef

Cheryl, the sun was just a break in the clouds. Since I got up, we've had another 1/2 inch of liquid gold. How do you like my cool new rain gauge?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #13193
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Cheryl, the sun was just a break in the clouds. Since I got up, we've had another 1/2 inch of liquid gold. How do you like my cool new rain gauge?

Wow, 2.5 inches. I see a lot of water. Can you get a picture of the yard?
Old 12-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #13194
Assistant Cook

Temp: 53; feels much colder though; has been raining incessantly over the past 24 hrs. and we've survived a flash flood warning yesterday.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #13195
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
but... people shouldn't build houses on slopes or in valleys subject to mud slides. It's not rocket science. John McPhee wrote a wonderful book on people battling nature, including a section on this topic: The Control of Nature: John McPhee: 9780374522599: Amazon.com: Books
Nope, it's not rocket science and it's exactly why I've never lived where my home would be in harm's way. Drought leaves everything tinder dry, subject to brush fires and that always leads to flooding and land slides. Some people have the calling to live where there are panoramic views and take the chance of personal disaster, but I've come to learn that some hear a different drummer out here. Some would call it being foolish and others are willing to gamble. On the other hand, natural disasters of earthquakes, tornado's, hurricanes, blizzards, etc. can come to everyone.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #13196
Chef Extraordinaire

Good for you Plus the earthquakes make the burned hills, bare of vegetation, unstable, so when the rains come, there's nothing to hold the loose earth in place. It turns to mud and away it goes. When people have to build catch basins above their homes to prevent them from being inundated by mud slides, I think they should be denied insurance and government help.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #13197
Master Chef

Kay, that rain gauge is a nice little gadget to have, for sure! You got quite a lot of rain - I don't know yet how much we got, and it's not done yet. In the past hour though, the clouds have cleared up somewhat, and sunny blue sky is peeking through!

As far as building homes on susceptible slopes - yikes, I'm with y'all there. Every time I see homes built on stilts on hillsides in CA, I cringe.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #13198
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Good for you Plus the earthquakes make the burned hills, bare of vegetation, unstable, so when the rains come, there's nothing to hold the loose earth in place. It turns to mud and away it goes. When people have to build catch basins above their homes to prevent them from being inundated by mud slides, I think they should be denied insurance and government help.
In years we haven't had drought and the fires, we have plenty of vegetation on the hills to deal with our normal 15" of rain a year. It has little to do with our very far and few between earthquakes. At least we don't have yearly "earthquake season" like "hurricane season". That leads me to agree that some folks should also be denied insurance and government help for those outer banks houses built as sitting ducks for hurricanes.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #13199
Chef Extraordinaire

The book I mentioned describes how earthquakes are involved. And I agree 100% about people living on barrier islands, or even at Sandbridge Beach in Virginia Beach. They're ridiculously stubborn, imo, first to stay there and second, to get angry when their insurance rates go up.

I don't know how much this comes up in California, but the federal government is changing the rules and increasing the rates for FEMA flood insurance. Past time, imo.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #13200
Chef Extraordinaire

Right now our temperature is at its peak. 37F. At least there is no snow on the ground.