What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a South African boyfriend when I came to Canada, so I met a number of South Africans. One young man arrived in January, from Cape Town (1st trip outside of S.A.) and complained that it was like stepping into a deep freezer. I pointed out that it was colder than that. :LOL:

It's crazy cold! I love cold weather but who wants to go outside in -30 temps. I would stay indoors all the time :LOL:

It's crazy cold! I love cold weather but who wants to go outside in -30 temps. I would stay indoors all the time :LOL:
I do stay inside most of the time, but I have to go out to get groceries and stuff. Now you know why I got a car with seat heaters. ;)

What happens with homeless people in that weather? Do you have shelters?
Yes we do, but not all the homeless are willing to go to them, even in this weather. In this weather the police try to find the ones they know to see that they are okay. Also, in this weather, the police are told to look the other way when they find them sleeping or loitering in the metro stations (our subway system).

There are organizations that have busses and vans out to try to get them indoors or at least into the warm bus.

Yes we do, but not all the homeless are willing to go to them, even in this weather. In this weather the police try to find the ones they know to see that they are okay. Also, in this weather, the police are told to look the other way when they find them sleeping or loitering in the metro stations (our subway system).

There are organizations that have busses and vans out to try to get them indoors or at least into the warm bus.

I had a friend that was a recovering alcoholic. On Sundays we would go to where he knew the street people were and he had a gallon jug of whiskey in his trunk along with small paper cups. You can't get a drink here in Mass until later in the day on Sunday. Most of them were really sick and he would give them a shot to keep them going until the liquor stores opened. In the winter, we would go to the Salvation Army store and he would buy as many blankets they had. Then he would go around passing them out to the ones that wouldn't go inside in the really cold weather.

Like TL says, the police don't hassle them. They never bother anyone, never ask for money, and just want to be left alone. We too, like any big city, have shelters. But most of them don't want to be inside. Many times when I used to work downtown, I would come across a bunch of them sitting on their corner. I would give them the rest of the pack of cigarettes I had on me. I am sure if you had asked any of these souls as children, what they wanted to be when they grew up, they never said "I want to be homeless and a street person." "There but for the grace of God, go I." Something I say to myself every time I see them. And I don't even drink. Never have.

When I was a child we had a man here in Eastie that went to school with my father. He was the CEO of the biggest utility company in the state. His wife walked out on him one day and from there he went downhill. His bed at night was one of the benches in the park in Central Square. They found him dead one very cold winter night. :angel:

That's so sad. Some homeless people in SA die in the cold of winter and it's not nearly as cold here!

Very cold again today. High of 7F today. It's back to 0 now. The overnight will be -0.
Hope it warms up soon.

It is fabulous here!

The change came through last night and it is nice and cool...lovely cool breezes coming in through the house, loving it :)

It is going to be like this for a whole week YAY!

20° here along the river. No wind, so it's comfortable. In a frozen sort of way.

Last edited:
It's 25 degrees F here right now. We are expecting 2 to 4 inches of snow this afternoon and evening. We are just not used to that here. I'm not going anywhere today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom